Author Topic: Fall Practice Updates  (Read 51683 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Fall Practice Updates
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »
Anybody been down to see practice at all? I've been hearing some good things about the defense. Definitely different then when Wolf was here. Whole mentality of football practice has changed.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Practice Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
I've not been there, but there is a very encouraging article about the progress of the defense and the different philosophy of BP.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/aug/09/football-ysu-defense-poised-to-show-off-/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 12:16:48 AM »
I am slightly concerned by the comment in there by coach Carmen to Shane to "Just run the ball Shane. We can't pass block". Hope our line can actually pass block, and that our defense is just that overwhelming plus there are still olinemen out?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:38 AM »
I am slightly concerned by the comment in there by coach Carmen to Shane to "Just run the ball Shane. We can't pass block". Hope our line can actually pass block, and that our defense is just that overwhelming plus there are still olinemen out?

Sounds like Carmen was motivating the OL.  Nothing more.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
Yeah don't be concerned about that comment. We have 4 starters back on the O-Line... I think our D-Line will be the most disruptive in the conference. Stacked with talent.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
So far, so good.  Really like the introduction of modern training methods like no two-a-days and stretching AFTER practice (for over a decade astute trainers knew this worked best to prevent injuries.)  Also like the standard that a player is expected to absorb quickly what he has been taught.  Perhaps we will no longer see breakdowns in assignments and coverage in November.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
So far, so good.  Really like the introduction of modern training methods like no two-a-days and stretching AFTER practice (for over a decade astute trainers knew this worked best to prevent injuries.)  Also like the standard that a player is expected to absorb quickly what he has been taught.  Perhaps we will no longer see breakdowns in assignments and coverage in November.
Realistically, fewer breakdowns in assignments and coverage.  They are still kids! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »
Looks like they're not being babied out there in practice. Time to man up and play.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:32:26 AM »
Interested to see who the #2 WR will be on the outside with Williams with Stubbs in the slot. Harvin has the inside track but I'm really interested to see if one of the freshman (Scott, Swanson, Braswell) can take a spot.

Offline YSU_Penguins17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
I was down at practice yesterday and I've noticed a huge difference already between the Wolford regime and the current one. Pelini and staff are teachers with minimal yelling and screaming. To be honest, Pelini doesn't even wear/use a whistle at practice and just kind of observes. As for the players, our defensive line is deep, quick and explosive. I like the potential of Isaiah Scott at receiver as well as Harvin.
"The Red and White are waving..."

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 10:39:42 PM »
Special Teams is in for a rude awakening this year...

Offline JustGuinBaby

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 02:21:53 AM »
Yes, the kicking game is way below average.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »
Thats really unfortunate. Is the kicking the only thing wrong with the special teams though? And how bad of kicking are we talking?

Offline JustGuinBaby

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Practice Updates--Kicking Woes
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
How bad is the kicking, you ask? Both McFadden and Kennedy have been routinely missing from inside 40 yards, and missing badly, and this is practice, imagine when it really counts.  The punting has been below average also. This could get UGLY....