Author Topic: Cleveland.com article: Football dominates Youngstown State's athletic budget  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
From cleveland.com:

Football dominates Youngstown State's athletic budget, even at the FCS level

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/07/youngstown_state_-_draft.html

Two excerpts:

"The football travel bill of $390,186 was about as much as that for the seven other men's sports combined."

"Three-quarters of the ticket money was from football."

My two cents:  MVFC membership is costly with little/no ROI.  When the NCAA dust settles...and especially if MVFC teams continue to stay home while inferior teams get at-large playoff invites....this needs to be re-evaluated.

Also, fix MBB...lots of lost revenue there.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Cancel all other sports and send everything to football.  It is the only sport that matters.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Cancel all other sports and send everything to football.  It is the only sport that matters.

make cheerleading a sport and you got title nine covered

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Two excerpts:

"The football travel bill of $390,186 was about as much as that for the seven other men's sports combined."

Well no sh*t Sherlock.  Football travels more players than any other sport - plus add in all of the additional political people who travel with them.  The equipment alone takes up more space than most teams combined.

"Three-quarters of the ticket money was from football."

Besides men's BB what other sport charges admission?

Also, fix MBB...lots of lost revenue there.
[/i]

Agree

make cheerleading a sport and you got title nine covered

And have Les Wexner design the uniforms from his Victoria Secrets catalog.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Penguin Nation, I respectfully disagree. I believe that the MVFC does indeed have a decent ROI and realigning to anther conference, at least now, would be a mistake. Take into consideration the fact that the football spending in total is $3.8 million (from the article), the travel costs (arguably the only disadvantage and extra expense for us in the MVFC due to all the far away travel) are basically 10 percent our overall football costs.

If you join another conference, you will only reduce your overall expense by a couple percent. Not really all that much, and you are losing all the extra prestige that comes with being in the MVFC. I am not sure that is worth the tradeoff at this point.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YO show,

What return? I don't think the fans or playoff selection committee are buying that we are in a prestigious conference.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I think they know its a prestigious conference, after all an unprecedented 5 MVFC teams made the playoffs last year. The problem is we have been managing to not get it done in conference play when we need to and finish middle of the pack in our conference.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
ScarletRook is absolutely correct.  Those travel costs for the football team are a non-issue that most teams in the country face.  Suppose we played in the CAA instead of the MVFC (the only reasonable alternative.)  It would cost the same to transport the football team to Virginia as it does now to go to Illinois.  Travel costs to Maine and New Hampshire would be similar to the Dakotas.  This is a silly non-issue.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Half of the CAA teams are closer than ISUb.  Seems like travel costs would be less but there are lots of logistics in play.

The CAA is closer for both team and fan travel. The CAA has an NBC contract. I watch these games from FL. Higher return, lower investment.

Hopefully our MVFC membership puts us in a favorable position if there is D1 realignment. Akron joining the MVFC (I don't think that is all that unlikely) would be a game changer for YSU. it is true that the playoff committee was more reasonable in its 2014 selections. We'll see if that continues. I'd make No moves now, but would reevaluate after the picture is clearer in the next year or two.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Wick, it is the fact that no one ever heard of NDSU, even after 4-titles who gives a crap about them? Certainly not the average fan. Now ask that same fan if the have hear of Villanova, or UMASS (realizing these teams may not be in the CAA anymore) You see the difference? YSU is so much more a of a quality sports destination since Strollo took over and I cannot see how anyone would think otherwise ...except a football-only fan ...or a football/MBB fan. I respect that, but do not think it is the case.

I live in Columbus and people down there still think of Ytown as a big football town. A lot more of them would show up for that money game, than one with the Bison. They know how the Valley has draped the national collegiate football landscape for a century.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
My thought is how better to win a national title than by competing in the toughest conference? After all, thats what people remember you for National championships. Also IAA, while i see your point, NDSU is getting to be a bigger known name and national recognition due to their recent exploits, and the missouri valley in general is getting prestige from that.

These are just my opinions, and not to beat a dead horse from another thread, but my thoughts are if you want area people interested in coming to more games you get that by changing your out of conference schedule to have a local MAC team. Even though Pitt is a money game, i personally think scheduling Pitt and WVU was genius because of the close vacinity and the extra attention it will bring to YSU, even being an away game.

I could be wrong. Maybe changing conferences would do it, but I just respectfully disagree. I just dont see it right now.