Author Topic: MVFC Non-Conference Schedule Comparison  (Read 12572 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: MVFC Non-Conference Schedule Comparison
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »

(1) What's everyone's thoughts on the overall strength of the MVFC non-conference schedule and implications on playoff picture...

(2) Thoughts on any specific team's OOC schedule?

YSU's OOC schedule is unique in that it is the sole MVFC program with two partial scholly (1AAA) programs. 

The Playoff Selection Committee is not fooled.  Can we trade one for a $$ game or at least a nearby MAC or OVC game?

Nation ...you could not be more wrong. The NCAA all but ordered teams to play these mom-scholarship schools. I mean  "ordered". they want exposure. There is no one to fool. It is simply what the NCAA wants and are VERY happy we are playing the non-scholly schools.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 09:27:46 PM »

(1) What's everyone's thoughts on the overall strength of the MVFC non-conference schedule and implications on playoff picture...

(2) Thoughts on any specific team's OOC schedule?

YSU's OOC schedule is unique in that it is the sole MVFC program with two partial scholly (1AAA) programs. 

The Playoff Selection Committee is not fooled.  Can we trade one for a $$ game or at least a nearby MAC or OVC game?

Nation ...you could not be more wrong. The NCAA all but ordered teams to play these mom-scholarship schools. I mean  "ordered". they want exposure. There is no one to fool. It is simply what the NCAA wants and are VERY happy we are playing the non-scholly schools.

Every other MVFC school is disobeying NCAA orders?  We are the only ones playing two...year after year.   The NCAA has repaid our following "orders" by picking lower ranked teams in the SRS above us? 

It's nonsensical.  The FCS is too vast for one sudivision.  The MVFC, which is superior to some G5 conferences, has no business being in the same subdivision as partial/non-scholly conferences....let alone have them be the majority of our OOC opponents.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
FCS teams have no business playing FBS teams either, but they do. I am all for NO ONE stepping up or down ...but non or partial scholarship programs is not doing either. Keep scheduling Duquesne, Robert Morris and Dayton. Then when we are forced to give a return game, which will be very soon, it is close by.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
FCS teams have no business playing FBS teams either, but they do. I am all for NO ONE stepping up or down ...but non or partial scholarship programs is not doing either. Keep scheduling Duquesne, Robert Morris and Dayton. Then when we are forced to give a return game, which will be very soon, it is close by.

As an aside, four of the MVFC teams play NO 1-AAA (partial scholly) schools.

A return game to a 1-AAA school?  That would be as preposterous as Sparty playing at Stambaugh.  It was noted earlier that the whole rationalization for multiple 1-AAA games was to appease loge renters (the loge renters apparently prefer quantity over quality opponents).

The subdivisions are bizarrely structured.  We were competitive against IL and Pitt.  1-AAA opponents are not competitive against us.  We are closer to FBS than 1-AAA is to 1-AA. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
To underscore my point, Massey gives RMU a ZERO % chance of beating YSU, and STFU a 4% chance. 

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=279541

Not very sporting to have such weak opponents.  One is fine to build the ego and get everyone on the field.  Two is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:51:54 PM by Penguin Nation »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »
It makes no difference. The NCAA has no idea what to do with these guys ...which is why they are moving to scholarship football. Who had weaker schedules than Jim Tressel's championship squads? Additionally he lost to just about every good team he faced in the regular season. Just schedule the weakest D1 schedule you can and keep doing it until we have advanced in the post-season at least 3 years in-a-row ...then you can gripe. That is once we have finished off the contracts. Bring on the lightweights and let's get 2015 started!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
right now, the worst thing that can happen to this program is to be anything less than 2-1 going into week-4. Everyone ...I mean EVERYONE said the same crap about the Big South being so weak and half the team in it were not on scholarship, or at least full scholarship. Now they have the nation's top teams traveling to play them.