Author Topic: MVFC Non-Conference Schedule Comparison  (Read 12422 times)

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
MVFC Non-Conference Schedule Comparison
« on: July 25, 2015, 01:46:45 PM »
It's always fun to see those first few weeks of the season and put our guys out there on a more national stage.  The last several years have demonstrated the MVFC's dominance in the FCS world... but that's a badge that must be earned every season and I know there are some teams on the conference's OOC schedule that would love to see that happen. Here's a comparison of each teams' non conference schedule...

North Dakota State:
8/29 - @Montana (Big Sky)
9/12 - Weber State (Big Sky)
9/19 - North Dakota (Big Sky)
*three Big Sky match ups?! I wonder if they could just decide to give NDSU two conference championships  :P

South Dakota State:
9/5 - @Kansas (Big 12)
9/12 - Southern Utah (Big Sky)
9/26 - Robert Morris (NEC)

Youngstown State:
9/5 - @ Pittsburgh (AAC)
9/12 - Robert Morris (NEC)
9/19 - Saint Francis (NEC)

Northern Iowa
9/5 - @Iowa State (Big 12)
9/12 - E. Washington (Big Sky)
9/19 - Cal Poly (Big Sky)

Illinois State:
9/5 - @ Iowa (Big Ten)
9/12 - Morgan State (MEAC)
9/19 - @ E Illinois (OVC)

Indiana State:
9/5 - Butler (Pioneer)
9/12 - @Purdue (Big Ten)
9/19 - SE Missouri State (OVC)

Southern Illinois:
9/5 - @Indiana (Big Ten)
9/12 - @SE Missouri State (OVC)
9/26 - Liberty (Big South)

Western Illinois:
9/3 - E Illinois (OVC)
9/12 - @Illinois (Big Ten)
9/19 - @Coastal Carolina (Big South)

Missouri State:
9/5 - @Memphis (AAC)
9/12 - Chadron State (Div 2 - RMAC)
9/19 - @Arkansas State (Sun Belt)

South Dakota:
9/5 - @Kansas State (Big 12)
9/12 - @UC Davis (Big Sky)
9/19 - Drake (Pioneer)

Now that looks like 7 Big Sky, 4 Ohio Valley, 4 Big Ten, 3 Big 12, 3 NEC, 2 AAC, 2 Pioneer, 2 Big South, 1 Sun Belt, 1 MEAC, 1 RMAC (Div 2). So...

(1) What's everyone's thoughts on the overall strength of the MVFC non-conference schedule and implications on playoff picture...

(2) Thoughts on any specific team's OOC schedule?

(3) Also, what OOC matchups is everyone looking forward to? My personal list goes like this:
I. 9/12 - Northern Iowa vs. Eastern Washington
EWU had a great season last year and should prove to be a tough task for the Panthers.  Will be an earlier season feeler of whether UNI will be the team that "just makes the playoffs" or is poised to make an actual deep run in the post season.

II. 9/19 - Western Illinois @ Coastal Carolina
I like this matchup because WIU seems to be a team on the rise in the conference and I've heard a number of people call them the Dark Horse of the MVFC. CCU on the other hand has been a Big South power and considered to be a team on the rise nationally, playing a competitive 32-39 game against NDSU in the playoffs last season.  If WIU somehow managed to go down to Conway, SC and compete (dare say it win), what a boost for that program... and the conference.

III. 9/26 - Southern Illinois vs. Liberty
I put this one down mostly because I can't stand the Big South (long story...) nor Liberty for that matter (longer story.....).  But last season's playoff berth (and first round victory) has given the Flames fans a ton to brag about this offseason.  It would be nice to see a mid-level MVFC team (one that lost 5 conference games last season) beat em up to prove a point.

Runner-up: YSU @ Pitt... 2012 worked out well... don't think this second go around will be as easy but still excited to see the matchup again... and contrary to 2012, I have had a lot of Pitt fans telling me that they are actually keeping a close eye on this game.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MVFC Non-Conference Schedule Comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »

(1) What's everyone's thoughts on the overall strength of the MVFC non-conference schedule and implications on playoff picture...

(2) Thoughts on any specific team's OOC schedule?

YSU's OOC schedule is unique in that it is the sole MVFC program with two partial scholly (1AAA) programs. 

The Playoff Selection Committee is not fooled.  Can we trade one for a $$ game or at least a nearby MAC or OVC game?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
Eastern Washington's stud quarterback transferred, and that team plays no defense whatsoever.  It becomes a perfect game for UNI.  High profile and very easy.

I agree that the SIU-Liberty and WIU-Coastal matchups are interesting.

In the past, I would have preferred that we buy a home game from the full-scholarship MEAC rather than the NEC.  But the MEAC has now removed themselves from the playoffs and the NEC, finally granting some scholarships, is probably now the stronger league.

For the younger fans, about twenty years ago the MAC created the informal "Youngstown rule," forbidding their programs from playing a IAA team on the road.  That came after Tressel-led YSU teams embarrassed Akron, Kent, and Ohio in Stambaugh stadium.  Today the MVFC ranks higher than the MAC in most if not all statistical models.  As far as I am concerned, as long as MAC teams refuse to play home-and-home, they can shove it.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
A home and home with an OVC team would be better then this.  At least it's not another Valpo.

Giving up a home game is worth beating Can't or Akron in their house, and prove to future recruits who the best team in NEO is.  Can't is paying Howard $300K to play in Can't.  It would be a bonanza for YSU to prove its domination and also collect a pile of cash. 

FWIW, IMO the G5 is going to be demoted to FCS status in the August NCAA meetings.  Hopefully this will re-open the door to these regional rivals.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 06:04:34 PM »
Nation,

You are leaving out of your calculations one very important equation.  Years ago YSU INDY discovered the fact that the university makes as much money renting out the stadium loges as it collects from common gate receipts.  It fact loge rentals are more important since the money comes in advance and the revenue is not impacted by late season performance meltdowns or the weather.  Those loge patrons demand six home games, and they want seven in those years that allow for twelve games (the primary reason for the abundance of junk games last season.)  So a home-and-home with an OVC opponent is not really possible, to say nothing about a road game at Akron or Kent.  As long as we play the money game against a big time opponent, two home games against weak foes is almost inevitable.

I agree that if the G5 finds itself merged with FCS, new opportunities automatically develop.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »
A home and home with an OVC team would be better then this.  At least it's not another Valpo.

Giving up a home game is worth beating Can't or Akron in their house, and prove to future recruits who the best team in NEO is.  Can't is paying Howard $300K to play in Can't.  It would be a bonanza for YSU to prove its domination and also collect a pile of cash. 

FWIW, IMO the G5 is going to be demoted to FCS status in the August NCAA meetings.  Hopefully this will re-open the door to these regional rivals.

Kent and Akron will never schedule YSU. Just won't happen.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »
Today the MVFC ranks higher than the MAC in most if not all statistical models.  As far as I am concerned, as long as MAC teams refuse to play home-and-home, they can shove it.

I second that
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »
The loge folks are holding the schedule hostage? Someone tell them that in exchange for one 1-AAA home game every two years....we get a more impressive resume...which may lead to annual playoff home games.....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
Bottom line.....our OOC schedule sucks outside of Pitt.  Something should be done about it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:39:02 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
In MBB, YSU has had a feeble OOC schedule.  I suspect for the same reasons for the feeble OOC FB schedule...to create the illusion of a winning D1 program.  We can safely say it has been tried and it doesn't work.  The fans aren't fooled, and neither are tournament/playoff selection committees.

It seems that our slow learning AD has finally realized this....in MBB anyway.  In MBB this year, we host Toledo, and travel to Notre dame, Purdue, Michigan, Kent, and Bowling Green.

Hopefully, FB will follow this trend.  IMO, it is ridiculous to have a BIG HC, transfers from the SEC and BIG, and field them against partial scholly schools for 2/3 OOC games.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:26:35 AM »
Two more things, and I really hate to be defending this athletic administration.

First, currently the MVFC is an absolute beast, probably the strongest IAA/FCS conference from top to bottom in history.  Playing one big time school and the league opponents give you one of the strongest strength of schedules in the country.  The other ooc games, tough as they are to swallow, don't matter.  We blew the playoffs during the past four years not because of an ooc schedule but rather because of Eric Wolford's incompetence:

2011  loss in final game at home to a dreadful Missouri State team
2012  three consecutive losses in October after September wins at Pittsburgh and against UNI
2013  the first November meltdown
2014  the second November meltdown

Second point.  How exactly do you improve the ooc schedule while still playing six home games in an eleven game season?  You can't buy a "name" opponent without a return game.  And for those willing to play only five home games, are you also willing to reduce the loge revenue, the gate receipts, the program advertising, the scoreboard advertising, the concession sales, and the parking revenue by about 16.5%?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »
Wick,

I may be mistaken, but I recall YSU makes ~$200K in all revenue per home game minus the $ paid to the visiting team. 

Can't is paying FCS schools $315K to play there. 

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/kent-state-alabama-fcs-schools-future-schedules/

Maybe Can't doesn't have the cajones to play us...and I don't blame them.  But if they did....it seems it would make financial sense, excite local FB fans, and be a good recruiting tool. (I am confident in a YSU win).

The playoff selection committee sucks, and picked Samford over a higher SRS ranking YSU for an at-large.  If that season we had a higher OOC SOS....maybe the outcome would have been different.

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »
Yes, to be honest I don't think OOC has had anything to do with YSU not making the playoffs the last four years.... Substitute St. Francis for a win over an E. Illinois or SE Missouri St and we still sit out all four. On the other side, had YSU beaten Missouri St (2011), any of the October losses (2012) or any of the November games (2013, 2014), they would have been in despite their OOC. Right now, YSU needs to focus on winning in the conference (and that's a tough enough task). Once they can establish that for a couple years, then they can start bringing in top tier OOC teams. Otherwise, they run the risk of losing a shot at the playoffs before they even get to week 4.

Now, with that said I would rather them play a top conference mid-level or bottom dweller than SFU and Robert Morris... A game they should win but not by 30 points and taking out starters mid 3rd Quarter. That's no fun for the fans and, honestly, not even a great tune up game. I think a good matchup would be Southern Utah (Big Sky) or Towson (CAA).

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
I am of the opinion that having a better out of conference schedule will do nothing but make the team better, and increase chances of getting the best recruits. I don't think it will happen anytime soon however.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »
It will not change.  Pear Bryant , AKA Rick Love, in a television interview stated the home games were for the loge. They get their wins . We suffer.