Author Topic: The future of FCS football  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The future of FCS football
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
From CBS sports:

"The NCAA will hold a summit Aug. 4-5 to strategize about the future of Division I. Members of the board of directors and various committees will participate and are studying four areas: (1) The Division I amateur model, including key features of athletes' experience and the use of athletic resources; (2) How college sports should assist students, including academic achievement and appropriate time demands; (3) How college sports should help students prepare for life after college, including those who want to pursue professional careers and the Olympics; (4) How Division I should operate, including examining the current subdivision structure and the role of conferences."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25237903/inside-college-sports-video-sacks-fsus-johnson-but-joe-mixon-plays-on

Who knows what will happen, however it seems likely that there will be an acknowledgement that the FBS is really two subdivisions (P5, G5), and it would seem unusual to have then three D1 subdivisions (P5, G5, FCS).  Could the weaker G5 conferences (MAC, Sun Belt) be assigned to a subdivision that the MVFC is in?

It seems that such realignment could benefit YSU and the MVFC, as the MVFC has outgrown the FCS level.  Also, YSU has suffered the FCS playoff committee long enough.  Hopefully, these changes will lead to renewal of the regional rivalries with Akron, who is completely in over their head in the G5.

Almost any outcome from the August meetings will be a positive change for the YSU FB program.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The future of FCS football
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 06:33:54 PM »
Nation,

For what it is worth (not much) here is my prediction after the big time schools gain total autonomy within the NCAA.  Basketball will remain unchanged with the powers, the mid-majors, and the pretenders lumped into the same division.  Power 5 will create their own football division, perhaps calling themselves the elite league.  They will pay their players and make their own rules.  NCAA will then place everybody else into a category called Division I.  Scholarship limit there will be about 70 with everybody permitted to split the awards as FCS does now.  Each conference will announce its choice before the season begins: their teams will seek entry into the Division I playoffs or seek a bid to the minor bowls (the power 5 will dominate all the bowls that pay real money.)

Keep in mind that after the big time powers effectively gain independence, FCS schools will constitute the vast majority of members in NCAA Division I football.  No way will the NCAA operate a separate division for the G5 wannabes that just got expelled by the big boys.