Author Topic: The Akron Zips FB program  (Read 28796 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: The Akron Zips FB program
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2015, 10:03:41 PM »
I will never forget that 2001 game against UNI. UNI broke a huge play and got the ball inside the YSU 5 ...1st and goal. We held them & I mean they got nothing. On the FG attempt (UNI down by 1) Heacock set up this beautiful play. We put an extra man out our left and actually rushed 2 from the right. They were practically untouched. I remember yelling "slow down" from my seat as I was afraid we would get there too soon. It was a classic block.

Suddenly the flag went up after some conversation. The officials ruled that first blocker did block the ball, but since he never touched the kicker (which was crap as he got the foot and ankle) the second player was not eligible to touch the leg of the kicker. The first person to touch the ball has to be the first-person to touch the kicker. Heacock was screaming and the poor player was in tears. We might not have ever won against UNI in the coach H years ...but those games were, for the most part, all classics.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:23:38 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
I will never forget that 2001 game against UNI. UNI broke a huge play and got the ball inside the YSU 5 ...1st and goal. We held them & I mean they got nothing. On the FG attempt (UNI down by 1) Heacock set up this beautiful play. We put an extra man out our left and actually rushed 2 from the right. They were practically untouched. I remember yelling "slow down" from my seat as I was afraid we would get there too soon. It was a classic block.

Suddenly the flag went up after some conversation. The officials ruled that first blocker did block the ball, but since he never touched the kicker (which was crap as he got the foot and ankle) the second player was not eligible to touch the leg of the kicker. The first person to touch the ball has to be the first-person to touch the kicker. Heacock was screaming and the poor player was in tears. We not have ever won against UNI in the coach H years ...but those games were, for the most part, all classics.

Thanks a lot 1AA, I have spent years trying to get that game out of my mind!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
Update on the woes of Akron Football:

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/despite-winning-football-team-university-of-akron-still-struggled-to-fill-stadium-last-season-1.662353

Akron is still purchasing well over half of its tickets just to remain FBS eligible, and was cited in the Wall Street Journal as an example of irresponsible financing of an athletic program.  I'm not sure how long President Scarborough will tolerate this, especially considering he has shown a willingness to make big changes by eliminating baseball.  The Akron FB team has improved on the field, but if that doesn't translate into improved paid attendance in 2016, then more difficult decisions may be necessary.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
The Rubber bowl was once home to YSU's only true rival.  Interesting to see what it looks like now:

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-sees-no-future-for-rubber-bowl-would-like-it-torn-down-1.676518
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »
Heck that is pretty much what it looked like the last YSU/Zit game I was at.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne