Author Topic: The Akron Zips FB program  (Read 28982 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: The Akron Zips FB program
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
1-AA "The MVC will announce the acceptance of Kent two seconds after they announce they are leaving the MAC."

Truer words were never spoken (posted).  Akron and Kent would set MVC for "East" and "West" divisions and cut down some Dakota travel at least every other year.  Pluse add a couple "drive to" away games.  Would be great to see!
Hope you are right 1-AA!

I think the MVC will want Kent, because of baseball and obvious men's basketball strength. Akron needs to try and capitalize on the soccer title before it is too late to get into another conference, but I do not see the MVC accepting them on that measure alone. Kent could negotiate acceptance of Akron into the MVC. I do not see the MVFC wanting either school.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »
1-AA "The MVC will announce the acceptance of Kent two seconds after they announce they are leaving the MAC."

Truer words were never spoken (posted).  Akron and Kent would set MVC for "East" and "West" divisions and cut down some Dakota travel at least every other year.  Pluse add a couple "drive to" away games.  Would be great to see!
Hope you are right 1-AA!

I think the MVC will want Kent, because of baseball and obvious men's basketball strength. Akron needs to try and capitalize on the soccer title before it is too late to get into another conference, but I do not see the MVC accepting them on that measure alone. Kent could negotiate acceptance of Akron into the MVC. I do not see the MVFC wanting either school.
1-AA I have a ton of respect for your opinions, but this post has be completely lost.  You think a conference that has the likes of Indiana State, Missouri State and Western Illinios would turn there nose up at two MAC schools?  Especially when is raises the home and home rivalies that Kent Akron and YSU would add?  (And seriously, do you think soccer would help any school get in any conference in the US?  This is the US, we don't give a damn for soccer!)   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »

Hope you are right 1-AA!

Is Kent is better shape financially than Akron since Kent did not build a new stadium? If Kent is in better financial shape, I do not see them going 1AA since Kent has a much larger enrollment size than most MAC schools and is not a commuter school. Financially speaking. if Kent cannot make it in MAC, how could Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan stay in?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »
I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about how these schools are doing financially.  The Kent endowment is 109+ Million and Akron, despite the stadium is about the same as YSU at 206 Million.  YSU spends about 6% on athletics and I assume the others are similar, so although "not nothing" it is manageable within the system.  More important is being completive at the level they chose to compete nationally.  You can’t recruit for 3-10 every year.  Look at the problems recruiting YSU basketball has, building on what can best be described as marginal success.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
From all these talks, might as well just destroy the MAC lol. Ball state and Eastern Michigan are laughing stocks in football as well. Everybody move down, yay!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »

Hope you are right 1-AA!

1-AA I have a ton of respect for your opinions, but this post has be completely lost.  You think a conference that has the likes of Indiana State, Missouri State and Western Illinios would turn there nose up at two MAC schools?  Especially when is raises the home and home rivalies that Kent Akron and YSU would add?  (And seriously, do you think soccer would help any school get in any conference in the US?  This is the US, we don't give a damn for soccer!)   

I think you are confusing my "MVC", with my "MVFC" comments. The MVFC does not care about YSU, so why would they care about adding any rivalry team such as Akron. The MVC is driven by basketball ...as I said they would take Kent in 2-seconds & Akron only if Kent negotiates it.  I do not see either team leaving the MAC any time soon.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
First a little gloating, he he ha ha I love it could not happen to a more deserving bunch.

Kind of ironic that the zits were one of the reasons that YSU was not accepted into the mac and had YSU been in the mac there would have been a sizable increase of butts in the seats at least once every two years. Maybe not enough to save their butts but it sure would have helped.

I have been saying for years that it was only a matter of time until many of the mac schools would leave the fbs. Not sure if they will come to fcs or if a new division made up of top tier fcs and lower tier fbs. Their pride will dictate that it may not happen soon but make no mistake it will happen.

If it is just akron then maybe they could end up in our two leagues, but I think they have soccer so that may affect things. If Kent is smart they would do the same, it would make it possible to create a two division football league and save us from some of those crazy trips.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:13:21 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 09:20:32 PM »
Just read a thread about the akron fb program over on csnbbs, let's just say that their fans are in denial.   

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »
Maybe the MAC someday will just drop down to our division. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
1AA, I just read your two excellent posts on AGS. Problem is that you were talking over most of their heads. The buffalo's all think that they are the second coming, and from the way the purple panthers talk you would think that they had won numerous NC instead of just ......, wait they have not won any.

They both play in barns, what else can you say

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
From the Vindy:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jul/18/colleges-akrons-loss-may-result-in-gains/

Glad to see YSU baseball seizing the opportunity that Akron presented.

Regarding FB, I understand Akron spends $8M annually, and YSU half that....so the cost savings of Akron dropping to the FCS are huge and obvious......but is the $4M annual debt service from building the InfoCision included in that?  I doubt it, but if so....they would see no budget cuts dropping to FCS....and may as well continue to languish in the money pit known as G5 football.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »
1AA, I just read your two excellent posts on AGS. Problem is that you were talking over most of their heads. The buffalo's all think that they are the second coming, and from the way the purple panthers talk you would think that they had won numerous NC instead of just ......, wait they have not won any.

Those purple panthers probably have a lot of rags flying in their tent--they've made the playoffs 18 times in what is now FCS but have never won a title--but sure act like they did. ;D

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »
I was going to ding them again for having a stadium roof made by "Whamo" ...but since it is no longer inflatable; I let it slide.   :)

Anybody else remember the 1992 play-off game when the roof came down? Good game & a real good UNI team.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:32:22 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 07:35:32 PM »

Those purple panthers probably have a lot of rags flying in their tent--they've made the playoffs 18 times in what is now FCS but have never won a title--but sure act like they did. ;D

I almost, but not quite, feel bad for them. They have had a decent program over the years, but they are the biggest choke in 1AA history. They have an odd obsession with YSU but I guess that the closest thing they think they have is a good record against someone that has won the big game.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »
Well, they remind me of YSU in a way. Like, they beat NDSU and Illinois State last year and went 7-5. Reminds me of YSU under Wolford, win a big game but not be consistent enough.