Author Topic: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!  (Read 152011 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Countdown to YSU Season Opener!
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:59:09 AM »
If this belongs elsewhere let me know, but I figured this is sports related.
So countdown to the season begin!

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »
I haven't been this excited about a season opener in years.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
I know what you mean! I get excited every year, but the last time I was this excited was when I was at the ysu pitt game in 2012. I am optimistic about this year. I also think that YSU Pitt will be a very interesting game this year and ysu could pull the upset again.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
Massey has YSU as 14 point dogs to Pitt.....and has YSU only winning 2 MVFC games.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=279541
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:59:40 PM »
Massey has YSU as 14 point dogs to Pitt.....and has YSU only winning 2 MVFC games.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=279541

LOL

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 02:49:43 AM »
ysufan0505, just curious, is the lol a sign of derision from the statement? And even if they are projected to lose that much in the massey ratings, im still optimistic for the season.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
For what it's worth, I have done a statistical analysis and tests of actual wins vs rankings on Massey and Sagarin to determine who has the better predictor. There is no comparison between the two statistical prediction models. Sagarin wins hands down.  Sagarin has the lowest error of predicted vs actual wins and its not even close.  Massey has a lot of work to do before he can earn credibility with me.   As far as I am concerned I would use the Massey ratings as bathroom tissue. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:35:16 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »
Looking at the Massey predictions for YSU, four of the MVFC losses are by 3 points.  That is consistent w/ what I read on AGS, in that there is expected to be much parity and uncertainty in the middle grouping of the MVFC.  I like Massey in that they "get it."  They rank MVFC teams deservedly very high, and 1AAA teams are in their rightful place scrapping the bottom.  When I see Harvard or Fordham or Lehigh anywhere above the 20 spot...I immediately dismiss the poll as worthless.

It is interesting that Massey predicts Pitt to be the second strongest team on our schedule, which I agree with.  You know you are a member of the "SEC of FCS" when your $$ games are easier than some conference games.

Also interesting that Pitt's margin of victory is predicted to greater with Akron than with YSU.

My personal belief is that YSU will finish 4th or 5th...with WIU also being 4th or 5th.  Hopefully that is playoff-worthy.  A 5th place MVFC finish is equivalent, IMO, to a top 10 FCS finish...not too shabby.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »
These prediction models work better at the upper level of FBS where strong programs will almost always be good and weak programs will usually be bad.  They are less reliable at the FCS level where the addition or subtraction of even one elite player can change the fortunes of a team dramatically.  The best example of this is Illinois State.  In 2013, they were the poster boy for mediocrity, winning all their home games while losing all their road games.  Enter the quarterback transfer from Indiana, a player that nobody at the FCS level could contain in the open field, and Illinois State became an instant title contender.  Should that stud be seriously injured now during his senior year, Illinois State would instantly revert back to mediocrity. 

Needless to say, coaching changes can also shatter these prediction models.  For better or worse, YSU will be a vastly different team under Pelini.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
69 days

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 04:58:43 PM »
I meant LOL at the number of MVFC wins they had us at. Time to get excited ladies and gents. Pelini is gonna have us back in business!

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »
ill get excited when we get in the playoffs. the fact we are in the best league in fcs (better then some fbs leagues) makes pelinis job tougher and i dont want undue expectations for year one
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:16:22 PM by DoubleE »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
ill get excited when we get in the playoffs. the face we are in the best league in fcs (better then some fbs leagues) makes pelinis job tougher and i dont want undue expectations for year one

A couple things we have going for us.  Offensive Coordinator intact don't see a lot changing here so learning curve is not there.  2. Pelini is a defensive coach and has the defense with his brother.  I like it.  Should be better than in most transitions with a new HC.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:36:35 AM by penguinpower »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »
As optimistic as I am about the season, I guess there is the point that its better to set the bar low and be suprised. I would like for them to make the playoffs, but I'm not sure they will. I think pelini is a good coach and he has the possibility of coming out guns blazing, but there is also the possibility it takes him more than one year to develop the players and the schemes enough to get the team where we all want them to be.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 08:55:34 PM »
As optimistic as I am about the season, I guess there is the point that its better to set the bar low and be suprised. I would like for them to make the playoffs, but I'm not sure they will. I think pelini is a good coach and he has the possibility of coming out guns blazing, but there is also the possibility it takes him more than one year to develop the players and the schemes enough to get the team where we all want them to be.

All solid points. Hey, can't be any worse than Wolf right?