Author Topic: Talented Signing Class Will Bolster Men's, Women's Rosters in 2015-16  (Read 9132 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
The Youngstown State men's and women's track and field programs have added an impressive group of standouts for the upcoming 2015-16 campaign, Head Coach Brian Gorby and his staff announced on Tuesday.

The women's program has signed 11 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent while the men have added four members to the program.

Signing National Letters of Intent with the men's program are Isaac Agyemang (Woodbridge, Va.), Dylan Latone (Austintown, Ohio), Derek Morrison (Cortland, Ohio), and Chad Zallow (Warren, Ohio). Signing with the women's program are Morgan Ansell (Hempfield, Pa.), Janae Cox (Bourbonnais, Ill.), Chontel Fils (Bradonia, N.Y.), Ashley Glass (Akron, Ohio), Jordan Grantonic (Boardman, Ohio), Abby Jones (Franklin, Pa.), Suzanne Koziol (Bershire, Ohio), Nicolette Kreatsoulas (Poland, Ohio), Shelby Marken (Berea, Ohio), Jennifer Muhlenkamp (Shreve, Ohio) and Caitlyn Trebella (Girard, Ohio).

Isaac Agyemang | Multi Events

Has a top score in the decathlon of 5,859 points...placed second in the AAU Junior Olympics in the decathlon...has a personal-best leap of 23-0.75 in the long jump and has cleared 6-foot-4 in the high jump.

Dylan Latone | Pole Vault

Placed third at the Ohio Track and Field Indoor State Championships in the pole vault...has a personal-best clearance of 15 feet, 6 inches...had a high of 19-3.75 in the indoor long jump and 20-1.75 in the outdoor long jump.

Derek Morrison | Middle Distance

Is the Northeast Ohio Regional Champion in the 1,600-meter run...has a personal-best time of 4:24 in the 1,600m and 1:57 in the 800m...was a Special-Mention all-district pick in basketball.

Chad Zallow | Hurdles, Sprints

A standout sprinter and hurdler for Warren JFK...is a three-time All American and a four-time state champion...during the 2015 campaign, led all high school runners in the U.S. in the 60m hurdles and has the fastest time in the 110m hurdles...won the 2015 state championship in the 60m hurdles...has qualified for the upcoming Division III Ohio Track and Field Championships (June 5-6) in the 110m hurdles, 100m dash and 300m hurdles...as a junior, won the Division III state title in the 110m hurdles (13.93 seconds), placed second in the 300m hurdles (38.23 seconds), was third in the 100m dash (11.03 seconds), ran the opening leg on the third-place 4x200m relay team and fifth-place 4x400m relay team...as a sophomore, won the 110m hurdles (14.35 seconds) and the 300m hurdles (36.87 seconds) and ran anchor on the second-place 4x200m relay team at the Division III state outdoor meet...time of 7.59 seconds at New Balance Nationals is the second-fastest 60m hurdles in U.S. High School indoor history...brother Carl is a member of the YSU program...selected YSU over Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame and Michigan.

Morgan Ansell | Distance

Has personal-best times of 19:10 in cross country (5K), 11:40 in the 3,200 meters and 5:21 in the 1,600m.

Janae Cox | Long Jump

Qualified for the 2015 Illinois State Track and Field Championships in the long jump...has a person-best leap of 19 feet, one inch in the long jump.

Chontel Fils | Jumps

A long jumper and triple jumper at Albert Magnus High School...won the county championship in the with a personal-best leap of 38-feet, 10.75-inches in the triple jump...has a best leap of 17 feet, 11 inches in the long jump.

Abby Jones | High Jump

Won the 2015 Pennsylvania State title in the high jump...cleared a personal-best height of 5 feet, 9 inches...placed third in the event at the Penn Relays High Jump Championship clearing a height of 1.71m...competed in the New Balance Outdoor National Championships...had a best leap of 16-8.5 in the long jump and 36-4 in the triple jump.

Ashley Glass | Middle Distance

Is the class Valedictorian at Akron Springfield...has a personal-best time of 5:33 in the mile and 2:27 in the 800 meters...also clocked a personal-best time of 12:02 in the 3,000 meters.

Jordan Grantonic | Distance

Is the Federal League Cross Country Champion with a time of 18:55 (5K)...tabbed All-Ohio during the 2014 indoor campaign with a fifth-place time of 11:17 in the 3,200m...posted a personal-best 5:21 in the 1,600 meters.

Suzanne Koziol | Hurdles, Distance

Has qualified for the Ohio Track and Field State Championships in the 300m hurdles with a time of 47.01 seconds...has a personal-best time of 19:15 in the 5K and 5:33 in the mile.

Nicolette Kreatsoulas | Throws

Has qualified for the upcoming 2015 Ohio Track and Field State Championships in the discus...had a personal-best throw of 139-feet in regionals to advanced to the state meet...was the runner-up at the 2014 state championships in the event.

Shelby Marken | Pole Vault

From a strong Midpark program...has a personal-best clearance of 11 feet, six inches in the event...also competed in gymnastics.

Jennifer Muhlenkamp | Distance

Has qualified for the Ohio Track and Field Championships in the 1,600 meters...has a personal-best time of 5:07 in the event...is a four-year state qualifier in the event...was an All-Ohio Division II selection in cross country with a time of 18:54 for Triway...placed 13th at the 2014 state championships.

Caitlyn Trebella | Pole Vault

Has a personal-best height of 10-8 in the pole vault...helped lead Girard to the district title in outdoor track and field as a senior.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Big YSU T&F Congrats to JFK's Chad Zallow breaking the OH HS State Track D-3 100m 27 YR record of 1988 running 10.55!

Offline Paingwin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Well as long as congratulations are being given out.  Congratulations to Penguin Alum Bobby Grace for his runner-up finish at USA indoor Champs, and Being currently ranked 10th in the US and top 30 in the world...

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Well as long as congratulations are being given out.  Congratulations to Penguin Alum Bobby Grace for his runner-up finish at USA indoor Champs, and Being currently ranked 10th in the US and top 30 in the world...

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear Bobby is still competing at a high level.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Zallow is a special talent.  I believe he'll become the greatest Penguin track athlete of all time.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Zallow is a special talent.  I believe he'll become the greatest Penguin track athlete of all time.

Thats quite the statement to make considering YSU has only had one athlete make it on the podium in track and field history.  And nothing about the sprint program, including its lack of regional qualifiers, suggests that it is a possibility.  Not to mention the complete lack; every year; of sprinters from northern climates even qualifying for the national meet.  At best it is a slap in the face of the gentleman mentioned above.  And his former teammate Neu a 2nd team all-american. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com

Thats quite the statement to make considering YSU has only had one athlete make it on the podium in track and field history.  And nothing about the sprint program, including its lack of regional qualifiers, suggests that it is a possibility.  Not to mention the complete lack; every year; of sprinters from northern climates even qualifying for the national meet.  At best it is a slap in the face of the gentleman mentioned above.  And his former teammate Neu a 2nd team all-american.

I have huge respect for our throwers ..always our strength. However, We have really become quite the destination for sprinters. Sprinters at our level have a tough task. The very top stay track & have Olympic aspirations, the second-tier go football (which is what sprints coach Townsend did), the rest get what they can. Zallow is very talented. His brother (incidentally a two event Horizon league champion this year) says that Chad is even better than himself. That is a Heep of praise. Carl won both the 60 and the 200 this past year. Let's not forget about Antonio who won the horizon in record time this past year at 100m. We are 1 more runner away from being the league's dominant relay team once again. I think with Baltputnis and Striener and the younger Zallow ...we are set for big things. We recruit so well in track it a pleasure to watch.

Offline Paingwin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Most Respectfully, I now see why the head coach has been there forever despite mundane accomplishments.  Most people, just like high school, and even in college, don't quite get track and field beyond the area they reside, they just don't pay attention to it, and clearly Youngstown is a football town so its not surprising, or to blame. 
It means more than one would think, winning the Horizon league in the 100m, in record time, and still not qualifying for the regional meet, nevermind the NCAA championships.  11 freshman made the 100m final from the hardest region to do so, this is not the Ohio State meet.  In Zallow's event the 110 hurdles only 5 freshman made it to the regional meet (the hurdles get higher in college).  This is not to say Zallow won't achieve greatness although, to be perfectly honest, the history of YSU sprint squad post-season participation under Townsend is anemic.  But it appears clear that the out of nowhere caliber of Grace's performance in his later years was a blessing and a curse.  It brought notoriety for track and field at YSU, other than conference time, but with the lack of knowledge of the world of track and field, it appears few grasp the true depth of what he did, if one is proclaiming that someone not on campus yet will eclipse him. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Pain, I suspect he is coming here for the ability to do more that just hurdles. He is not going to see full-ride from OSU. I have been involved with track since high-school and YSU really does well for what they can offer. As with most schools our size, we will usually excel more in the indoor events, as we can can fill a full squad. Believe me, WATTS has benefited track and baseball more than any other sports. Bobby Coates is an example of what one can do when they put their head and desire together. He has been a regular topic of conversation here on the board. We all bleed red & white. :)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Who knows what the younger Zallow will do.  As a typical YSU fan who knows little about track and cares only about winning Horizon League championships, I had never heard about this kid before national signing day.  Then I saw a local television clip of Zallow sitting at a desk at JFK with five hats in front of him: OSU, ND, PSU, UM, and YSU.  He announced his selection by putting on the penguin hat.  Based upon the recruiting competition, I thought that this could only be very good.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Talented Signing Class Will Bolster Men's, Women's Rosters in 2015-16
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
At best it is a slap in the face of the gentleman mentioned above.

It was in no way meant to slight Bobby.  I've mentioned him in previous threads on the board.  It's simply a reflection of how good I believe Zallow will become.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
Relax Wick, 4 and observer ...everyone is excited about both accomplishments !!!!  The excitement around this school is contagious. A track guy placing indoors and out, a new recruit that is winning state titles, a player into the MLB draft & 2 others moved up to the bigs, great girls basketball class & now 3 playing in the pros, new president, new football coach.

In response we are getting record attendance at the basketball camps (20 teams this first one), 144 players at the scholarship golf outing, talk of opening the 3rd tailgate lot!!

Good stuff!!

Offline TrackandField

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »
Since I seem to be one of the few people in the area that actually follows and has competed in DI track and field, and pass by this site undetected most times I thought I'd throw my hat in this ring. 
As one poster said, it is extremely hard to place on the podium, especially if your from a lowest-tier mid-major league such as the horizon league.  I'm not sure who is losing out more on this situation though:  Bobby Grace (who by the way is not only performing at a high level, is quickly being recognized as one of the great young upstarts in the country) being recognized by the town he went to school in, as "just another high level guy from Gorby's track factory ::)".  Or a town so focused on winning 1AA championships, that cannot step back from the trees to see the forest, and realize that you had an athlete 2 steps away from being a D1---no A, just 1---champion.  it may not be in the sport fans like to relive the glory days of, but I shutter at how unappreciated that feat seems to be.   Passed off a just another accomplishment, from a school that, lets face it, hasn't had much to celebrate athletic wise since the 90's. 
As wick250 says

"As a typical YSU fan who knows little about track and cares only about winning Horizon League championships, I had never heard about this kid before national signing day."

The bad press on Gorby's squads have been out for a while on the regional scene. The simple fact that he wins championships in the worst League in the country, literally, are the only reason that things have not been brought to light or fixed.  And now you have an article about how "great the recruiting class was".   Given past history and staff.  There are only 4 athletes on that list with the talent and future coaching to be a regional caliber athlete multiple years, Zallow is the 4th.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »
TrackandField, Paingwin, and Observer ...you are clearly the same person; so why do you choose to post under different names? You are just a negative fan and you want others to think that you are one of many that feel as you do. You have an opportunity to inform people about a great accomplishment ...which is what this board is all about ...and you simply choose to attack the establishment.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »
One thing for certain --Zallow and Grace both incredible talents! 8)