Author Topic: Big 10 Transfer  (Read 47607 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Big 10 Transfer
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
Along with the lineman from Nebraska, Powell would be the second Pelini transfer who actually played in a Big Ten game.  Much better than taking big time program "mistakes" who never saw the field.

To add to your point . This kid is the real deal.  Came home for good reasons not bad ones.  He will also be versitile.  Excellent  addition  to the defense. He may also be able to help on offense.  Heard he had a high ceiling  and was projected to start.

Saw action in 9 games, made 5 tackles as a backup. Let's not this make this kid out to be the second coming of Charles Woodson. Trust me, I'm excited to have him but let's keep our expectations in check here.

But he was a freshman this year and still played on a defense  that was top 5
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:37:39 PM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2015, 07:34:22 PM »
You guys amaze me.  This will be an upgrade to what we have look at the tape do some research.  The kid played wherever they needed him at Harding.  He was on a loaded team and actually was moved to star linebacker for the bowl game and did a great job against Baylor.  Pelini knows Defense and I trust him on getting the most out of this kid.  Do a little research his 40 time was not as bad at what was stated. He is a hitter and seems to be around the ball.  Can't wait to see him light somebody up.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »
Narduzzi recruited that kid and he knows Defense as well.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »
Where in the article does it say he was transferring to Youngstown State, apparently I missed it.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »
The article didn't actually say he was transferring to YSU. Its not official yet. But it is leaking he was interested in leaving. Not sure why either if its about playing time. He will see quite abit on a top 5 defense no less. But glad to get him! Per Joe Scalzo on twitter: "I can confirm there's mutual interest between Jalyn Powell (Michigan State / Warren Harding) and YSU. Expect decision either way next week". He tweeted that on June 12. Hope it does become official this week!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2015, 12:05:16 PM »
Looking forward to seeing him on the field this fall.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »
The article didn't actually say he was transferring to YSU. Its not official yet. But it is leaking he was interested in leaving. Not sure why either if its about playing time. He will see quite abit on a top 5 defense no less. But glad to get him! Per Joe Scalzo on twitter: "I can confirm there's mutual interest between Jalyn Powell (Michigan State / Warren Harding) and YSU. Expect decision either way next week". He tweeted that on June 12. Hope it does become official this week!

Sparty right now has the #2 recruiting class in the nation for next year (tOSU #1) with alot of good linebackers coming in. This might have something to do with the transfer

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
This article from the BTN from earlier today speaks of Jalyn Powell as if it is assumed he will be with MSU this season.

http://btn.com/2015/06/18/unit-rankings-darron-lee-ohio-state-pace-big-ten-east-linebackers/

"2. Michigan State.

The Spartans ranked No. 1 in the nation vs. the run last year (88.5 ypg). And the linebackers coached by Mike Tressel played a big role in that. Darien Harris is a returning starter at the “Star” spot. Riley Bullough is an anchor in the middle, the latest Bullough in a long and illustrious line in East Lansing. Ed Davis is a bellwether and the star of the bunch who excels vs. the run. Depth also is strong with the likes of Jalyn Powell, Jon Reschke and Chris Frey."
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »
From the Vindy:

"Michigan State sophomore linebacker Jalyn Powell is considering transferring to Youngstown State, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The Warren Harding High graduate was moved from safety to linebacker during the Spartans’ bowl practice in December. He appeared in nine games and finished with five tackles last season after redshirting in 2013.

Powell will likely make a decision in the next week, the source said"

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jun/13/harding-grad-powell-may-transfer-from-ms/

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »
He will be a Penguin. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »
Im excited for this, but will feel really great with an official announcement.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »
WELCOME JAYLIN!!

This will bolster our linebackers and possibility he may be used as a defensive back. Yes, I would like to see an official announcement. To compete in our league, we need solid players.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »
For anybody that does not yet understand the enormous promotional value to our university that Tressel and Pelini provide, I urge you to read the comments from Michigan State fans on the bottom of the page that 0505 linked.  Not one negative word about YSU, Pelini, or Powell.  I really love one fan's assessment of Powell: "he hits like a train."  How long has it been since we have seen that from our defense?  This just accelerates the transition from Wolford's "athletes" to Pelini's "football players."

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
Welcome home, Jaylin !!

This move really seems to make sense for Jaylin in terms of playing time, playing for BP, and being back home with friends and family.  Although not a BIG schedule, he'll face both FCS finalists at the Castle, and start the season with a Pitt rematch.....and IMO...see a post-season run.