Author Topic: Big 10 Transfer  (Read 47460 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Big 10 Transfer
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
The parents of the current football recruits are still of the generation where you respect elders and discipline was taught in school and local sports.  However, we are quickly approaching the parent that wants each kid get a trophy and everyone is equal.  I personally respect Pelinis passion for his profession.  To be honest I am more embarrassed about the response of a few administrators at YSU regarding the "straight day at YSU recently.  Its proof that you cant always have your cake and eat it too... 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »
I do not agree about the O-Line Go ...you said it yourself ...lack of depth. Also our lines, until the last year & 1/2 were too light and too tall. Lack of strength led to early and obvious holes that were easily exploited by our opposition.

He inherited the Heacock/Tressel tradition of depth with guys like Rodemoyer, Page, Elkins, Radakovich, Coates, DJ Main, Sinko and Mays. He lost Colgrove, Figerora, Dugan, Brown, O'Hara and Sazdanoff from the O-line; then Wolf recruited 6 D linemen (far more than we needed) & had to bring in a JUCO in Herdman for the O...Wolf's O-Line frosh (Conlan and Green) did not work out, forcing him to go JUCO again in 12. His 12 & 13 classes were better and we saw the difference that it made. W took over a team with 2 starting center's and 2-reserve & ended up moving a guy over in 14. I am a firm believer in the fact that you need 10 starting down-linemen on each side of the ball.

Also our d-linemen were good at getting their hands up, but could not penetrate. This put more pressure on our dbacks & exposed them.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »
Can we have any clues?  The number of local kids playing in the B1G is not as substantial as in the past.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 11:49:28 PM »
I have heard nothing about any transfer....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
Soon.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
I do not agree about the O-Line Go ...you said it yourself ...lack of depth. Also our lines, until the last year & 1/2 were too light and too tall. Lack of strength led to early and obvious holes that were easily exploited by our opposition.

He inherited the Heacock/Tressel tradition of depth with guys like Rodemoyer, Page, Elkins, Radakovich, Coates, DJ Main, Sinko and Mays. He lost Colgrove, Figerora, Dugan, Brown, O'Hara and Sazdanoff from the O-line; then Wolf recruited 6 D linemen (far more than we needed) & had to bring in a JUCO in Herdman for the O...Wolf's O-Line frosh (Conlan and Green) did not work out, forcing him to go JUCO again in 12. His 12 & 13 classes were better and we saw the difference that it made. W took over a team with 2 starting center's and 2-reserve & ended up moving a guy over in 14. I am a firm believer in the fact that you need 10 starting down-linemen on each side of the ball.

Also our d-linemen were good at getting their hands up, but could not penetrate. This put more pressure on our dbacks & exposed them.

I think I know what you mean, but you can't have 10 starting linemen each side, there are only 5 (or 4 positions) It’s like giving 110%  That simply can’t happen.  The starters get the reps. the coaching.  That's the facts of things.
 If you look at offensive stats over the Wolford years, I believe you will find the issue was not offense or specifically OL play.  Look at yards gained rushing, yards gained passing and scoring vs. the MVC.  The issue was pass defense.  Your comments about no penetration were, IMO valid until last season.  Rivers made huge difference and I believe sacks were way up.  Still couldn't cover anybody.  I hope Pelini's claim to play much more aggressively will help.  I pretty sure Wolford's transfer Kenneth Durden will help the secondary.
I'm not a Wolford guy, but I've read a lot of criticism of him over his stay for "lost" players.  Many of them couldn't play and thought they were entitled to a starting spot.  They weren't.  No good coach has entitled players.

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
I don't want to say anything till its official and honestly to protect the kids privacy. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »
I don't want to say anything till its official and honestly to protect the kids privacy.

Boooooo
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:39:18 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
Fake Fake Fake

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »
This isn't  fake.  This is true.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »
This isn't  fake.  This is true.

I think it is more important to how things play out if YSU does get the transfer than if this information is fake or not.  Even the best sources are only as reliable as the time which they had the information.

The issue was pass defense.  Your comments about no penetration were, IMO valid until last season.  Rivers made huge difference and I believe sacks were way up.  Still couldn't cover anybody.  I hope Pelini's claim to play much more aggressively will help.

go guins:  I think Bryant's defensive line scheme helped with the sacks - and yes Rivers was a major factor.  They still didn't play aggressive against the receivers; allowing them to run their routes at will.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
If we get this person everyone  will be pleasantly  surprised

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 08:03:24 PM »
Is Canton considered local? Bri'onte Dunn?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »
I want a bad azz defense player that can shut an O down. 

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 09:16:47 PM »
LJ Scott leaving Sparty already :P  I don't know.  I don't get caught up in rumors.  I'll look at the roster a few days before the game and that's what I'll go with :)