Author Topic: Big 10 Transfer  (Read 47451 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Big 10 Transfer
« on: May 19, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
Heard a local kid is coming back.  Stay Tuned!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Big 10 Transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
Heard a local kid is coming back.  Stay Tuned!
tease!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »
Why the secret? Just say his name....

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »
5050, I think YSUGO just want's some of his 15 minutes of fame!
(BTW, what's the significance of the 5050?  Lottery reference?)

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
It's 0505

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
sorry, that rules out lottery and age. 
doesn't matter.  wonder who the big transfer is?
I don't see anything on the internet.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
I was hoping and expecting that we would be in a much better position to gain transfers from big time programs.  Consider these two scenarios:

May 2014.  A kid at a big time program finds himself buried on the depth chart and wants to transfer.  He contacts his old high school coach who tells him to consider YSU and play for Eric Wolford.  The kid's response: "Who?"

May 2015.  Same scenario, but now the old high school coach advises the kid to go to YSU and play for Bo Pelini.  The kid's response: "Wow!"

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 03:50:07 PM »
5050, I think YSUGO just want's some of his 15 minutes of fame!
(BTW, what's the significance of the 5050?  Lottery reference?)

Lucky numbers for myself! Always kept it haha.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »
I was hoping and expecting that we would be in a much better position to gain transfers from big time programs.  Consider these two scenarios:

May 2014.  A kid at a big time program finds himself buried on the depth chart and wants to transfer.  He contacts his old high school coach who tells him to consider YSU and play for Eric Wolford.  The kid's response: "Who?"

May 2015.  Same scenario, but now the old high school coach advises the kid to go to YSU and play for Bo Pelini.  The kid's response: "Wow!"

Yep. Say what you want about Pelini, but the name carries weight for sure with the younger generation.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
Funny thing about transfers, us and other schools.  Yes there is occasionally a Russell Wilson and others, but MOST don't work out nearly as much as the hype would lead you to expect.  Remember Louis Irizarry?  He was going to be the TE of D-1 at OSU and ended up as barely OK at YSU.  Same for Najee Tyler the QB from Purdue.  We have done OK with JC transfers, but bigger school guys stepping down, not so much.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »
go guins,

I generally agree with your analysis about big time transfers.  Wolford struggled in that category and Heacock certainly expected more from Irizarry, although he did secure the services of the Illinois running back who led us to the semi-finals in Heacock's only playoff year.  But Tressel scored with the acquisition of Ohio State transfers Soltis and Cochran.  My point is that Pelini, like Tressel, is more likely to lure the right kind of transfer to our campus.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:31:18 PM by Wick250 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »
Good point Wick. The best way ti get good transfers in from the coach the player is leaving from. Heacock was far more embedded in the coaching community than Wolf; which I feel is why he seemed to have success at JUCO's and transfers..

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 09:36:24 AM »
1AA, I'm not so sure I agree.  Some of Wolford's better recruits were transfers.  Guys like Luis Quinones, Lamar Mady, and Joey Cejudo were all transfers.  IMO Wolford's issues were more the disregard of defensive backfield and depth.  Funny how you ignore strengths and focus on weaknesses.  Wolford had terrible defenses, but he was the best O-line coach we've ever had!  At least the guy is doing what he should have been doing all along! 
Parents should not be underrated as big influences in kids’ lives and decisions about schools, and we shouldn’t overlook the national negativity that Pelini has garnished with his tirade in Nebraska.  That got a LOT of national attention and frankly wasn’t very professional.   Yes he has a more widely known name that Wolford, but it may not be all positive for recruits and transfers.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 03:54:32 PM »
1AA, I'm not so sure I agree.  Some of Wolford's better recruits were transfers.  Guys like Luis Quinones, Lamar Mady, and Joey Cejudo were all transfers.  IMO Wolford's issues were more the disregard of defensive backfield and depth.  Funny how you ignore strengths and focus on weaknesses.  Wolford had terrible defenses, but he was the best O-line coach we've ever had!  At least the guy is doing what he should have been doing all along! 
Parents should not be underrated as big influences in kids’ lives and decisions about schools, and we shouldn’t overlook the national negativity that Pelini has garnished with his tirade in Nebraska.  That got a LOT of national attention and frankly wasn’t very professional.   Yes he has a more widely known name that Wolford, but it may not be all positive for recruits and transfers.

Wolfords O-Line was awesome against the blind center and the sister's school of the blind. Playing NDSU, UNI, etc.. they couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag. Will say, I like what Wofford did with the team when it came to the 1BCS teams/$$ games. Bo has not coached a game yet and some still harp on the negativity stemmed from the ass reaming he was receiving at the hands of the dick Nebraska had for an AD and President  :o

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
Maybe I am missing something here and not talking to the right people.  But with the notable exception of a few outraged faculty members (big surprise there) and a few "make-believe" journalists for the student paper, everybody that I have encountered in the Mahoning Valley is delighted that Pelini is our coach.  Nobody seems to give a rat's butt about Pelini's behavior in Nebraska.  As far as parents being turned off by Pelini, I think it far more likely that they have observed the respect that Pelini showed to all the players that he had inherited from Wolford.  That stood in sharp contrast to Wolford's reckless purge of players five years ago.