Author Topic: Pelini follows Tressel lead on less pay  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Pelini follows Tressel lead on less pay
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:22:02 AM »
Two thumbs up.  BP is off to a strong start.

From the Vindy:

When Jim Tressel was hired as Youngstown State’s president last May, he decided to take less than his predecessor.

Bo Pelini did the same.

While Pelini will (famously) spend the next four years making millions not to coach at Nebraska, he voluntarily gave up about $65,000 per year in his four-year YSU contract in marketing compensation (which is worth $50,000 per year) and retirement benefits. That’s money that counts against his Nebraska buyout but won’t go into his pocket.

“When we were going through the whole interview process, Bo heard what President Tressel did and he took it upon himself to give back,” Penguins athletic director Ron Strollo said. “He wanted to follow the same lead.”

Tressel makes $300,000 per year as YSU’s president, taking $75,000 less than the school’s two previous presidents David Dunn and Cynthia Anderson.

Pelini’s base salary at YSU over the next four years will be $213,894, the same as the Penguins’ previous coach, Eric Wolford. Per the terms of his Nebraska buyout, Pelini will still make $128,009 per month from the Cornhuskers over the next 46 months, so it’s not like he’s going to struggle to make his mortgage payments, but as Strollo said, “that $65,000 is real money he’s giving up.

“Bo understood that the school is laying people off and he wanted to make that statement,” Strollo said. “People internally understand what he did, but I think it’s important that the public knows because everyone assumes Nebraska is making up the difference [in the $65,000].”

YSU’s budget for assistant coaches will remain the same as it did under Wolford, so that $65,000 in savings will simply lower YSU’s football budget.

“That helps the institution because it lowers the support it has to give us,” Strollo said. “I feel like it was really unselfish of him. It’s something he didn’t have to do and he volunteered to do it himself.”

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/may/17/pelini-follows-tressel-lead-on-less-pay/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pelini follows Tressel lead on less pay
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
Wait a minute, Tressel may be making less than his predecessor, but Pelini is NOT making less, he is making far more! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
Wait a minute, Tressel may be making less than his predecessor, but Pelini is NOT making less, he is making far more!
Not sure what you are talking about? YSU is paying Pelini less than Wolford. They can because Nebraska must buy out Pelini's contract.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:01 PM »

You mean with the check coming from Nebraska every month, yes he is. His YSU salary is the same Wolf had.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »
Not sure what you are talking about? YSU is paying Pelini less than Wolford. They can because Nebraska must buy out Pelini's contract.
What do you mean you don't understand what I am talking about?  I SAID " Pelini is NOT making less, he is making far more!"  Isn't that clear??  You say "YSU is paying Pelini less than Wolford” which is also true but NOT contradictory to what I said.  IMO, YSU is FOOLISH for paying Pelini more than a $1 a year.  It affects Pelini's income -0-
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »
What do you mean you don't understand what I am talking about?  I SAID " Pelini is NOT making less, he is making far more!"  Isn't that clear??  You say "YSU is paying Pelini less than Wolford” which is also true but NOT contradictory to what I said.  IMO, YSU is FOOLISH for paying Pelini more than a $1 a year.  It affects Pelini's income -0-

Perhaps  Pelini's contract with Nebraska  prevented him for getting paid $1 per year.  I think if he did it below market value  the payout was voided.  Nebraska  pays the difference  between what he makes now and what he was owed.

Taking  lower pay but still remaining competitive  among other mvfc  coaches help YSU with costs, keeps Pelini whole and forces Nebraska  to pay.

There is nothing  wrong here.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
From the Vindy:

"YSU’s board of trustees extended Tressel’s contract, which ends in June, for at least one more year, continuing his annual salary of $300,000.

Despite the trustees’ offer to increase Tressel’s salary about $75,000, Tressel would not take it, and he refuses any kind of raise because of the university’s financial difficulty.

The new contract agreement calls for a one-year extension through June 2018. It also calls for three separate additional one-year extension options that could carry the contract through June 2021."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/02/tressels-pact-extended-least-1-year/

JT proves once again he is a class act.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen