Author Topic: Ron Brown leaving  (Read 22260 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Ron Brown leaving
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
Per FootballScoop, RB coach Ron Brown is leaving YSU and will become the new WR's coach at Liberty. Interesting....

FootballScoop Staff @FootballScoop  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Per source, there could soon be an opening on Bo Pelini's staff at Youngstown State http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Liberty (FCS): Per source, pending final clearance, Youngstown State (FCS – OH) running backs coach / assistant head coach Ron Brown will be joining the staff and coaching the receivers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:45:05 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Ron Brown leaving
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
A huge taste of irony there.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
A huge taste of irony there.

That's pretty much the definition of irony!  Liberty should be good setting for his, how shall I phrase this, "lack of political correctness".   Personally I'm OK with his approach, but probably better off at Liberty than a typical bastion of liberal politics that is a public university.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »
We lost a good coach.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
Turner Gill is the HC @ Liberty.  Both ex Nebraska guys.  I met Ron Brown class act. 
A Penguin for life!!!

ytowngirl

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 08:19:25 AM »
Turner Gill is the HC @ Liberty.  Both ex Nebraska guys.  I met Ron Brown class act.

Turner Gill really fell off the map.  Remember when he was the next big thing?

Ron Brown will easily be replaced.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 11:15:15 AM »
Liberty is the only FCS school thus far to offer FCOA scholarships, and likely will be moving soon to the FBS.  This seems like a really good fit for Coach Brown.

Our loss.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 02:29:25 PM »
I think that you are probably correct Nation. I simply do not know coach Brown.

Liberty will likely move up ...very nice college. Sam Ruttigliano went there (after they gave Tressel and not Sam the YSU job) & he was very successful. He then left the HC spot and became assistant Chancellor of Liberty. That is a very powerful position.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
Given his religious proclivities, this is a good move for Brown and for us.  We don't really need any non-football related controversy.  Liberty undoubtedly is building to "move up," but they will be disappointed.  The new NCAA policy mandates that a FCS team can advance to FBS status only if they are admitted into an established FBS conference.  I don't see public universities, even in the South, welcoming an intense and extreme religious institution that has nearly unlimited money to spend on sports.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
Given his religious proclivities, this is a good move for Brown and for us.  We don't really need any non-football related controversy.  Liberty undoubtedly is building to "move up," but they will be disappointed.  The new NCAA policy mandates that a FCS team can advance to FBS status only if they are admitted into an established FBS conference.  I don't see public universities, even in the South, welcoming an intense and extreme religious institution that has nearly unlimited money to spend on sports.

Boston College*
Notre Dame*
Holy Cross*
Creighton*
Fordham
Georgetown*
Loyola*
Marquette*
St Louis*
Dayton*
Portland
Villanova*
Xavier*

Those are just some of the Catholic Schools alone, those with asterisks have national championships to their credit (in either football and/or basketball) ...plenty of National championships here. There are many more Christian schools. The largest of which is probably Brigham Young and TCU. So Liberty is not even close to extreme & could do very well for themselves.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »
The only conceivable FBS home for Liberty would be the Sunbelt Conference.  For football, that currently consists of eleven schools, all public, stretching from the South into the Rockies.  Their interest in adding a fundamentalist Protestant school to their ranks is zero. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 06:09:48 PM »
Ha ha ha, people were getting all worked up about this guy, he was going to corrupt our players with religion, run the program into the ground, yadda yadda yadda!

The big guy sure does work in mysterious ways, amen!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
C-USA may boot UAB since UAB dropped FB, and then invite Liberty.  I think Liberty's preference is the Sun Belt.  I've not read it anywhere, but I could see the MAC inviting Liberty in to further expand their market base.

What if Liberty...gulp...stays in the FCS?  The massive recruiting advantage of being the only FCS school offering FCOA scholarships could make them an FCS behemoth....like NDSU.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 09:36:05 PM »
Ha ha ha, people were getting all worked up about this guy, he was going to corrupt our players with religion, run the program into the ground, yadda yadda yadda!

The big guy sure does work in mysterious ways, amen!

Thinking the same thing.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
Wish brown would have stayed. Great coach, great principles.