Author Topic: Red & White Game  (Read 25874 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Red & White Game
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »
That was certainly the largest gathering at a spring game since the championship years of the 90s.  Factoring in the people in the loges, 3,000 was quite possible.

As many will recall, last April the offense destroyed the defense.  This year at least the offense had to work hard.  There were many stops and lots of punts.  Big plays came primarily from outstanding personal effort from the likes of Ruiz and the Wells to Williams long td pass right before the half. 

Nice to see Paul McFadden's kid hit that 40 yard field goal.  The competition between he and Kennedy should produce a decent kicker by the fall.  On the other hand, the punting was not very spectacular.

Pelini's post-game comments were remarkably honest.  He had gone out of his way for months to avoid any criticism of Wofford.  Now the transition is over and this is his team.  It was very significant that, without calling out any individuals by name, Pelini stressed that he was unhappy that skills acquired in the practices were not always applied in the game last night.  It was also significant that Pelini, for the first time publicly, spoke about changing the culture and the player work ethic to avoid the late season meltdowns.  I found his candor to be both refreshing and welcome.

3K is great. Strange how we celebrate that number as a Div 1 program. tOSU reported 99K at their spring game and Nebraske had 77K.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »
I think we had 77 last year. Not 77k, just 77.

It will be a fun ride this fall.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 09:15:23 AM »
I think we had 77 last year. Not 77k, just 77.

It will be a fun ride this fall.

LOL. Amen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
We knew we had talent on offensive and defense was a problem.  This roster is still almost 100% Woolford and I don't think any of the recruits were early enrolls, and if they were it wasn't enough to matter.  HOWEVER, press coverage in secondary was NOTICABLY different from the W period.  Kenneth Durden was “bump and run” all night and I loved the competitive nature of the defense for a change. I was so tired of Julia Childs setting back, giving up the catch, and then tackling the receiver for an 8 yard gain! (BTW, I know it was Julius)  With all the spread offenses you have to go for broke and hope you “hit” a few. 
Also, glad we have the restroom cleaning schedule all set too!  Nice job Pally!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »
Kenneth Durden was “bump and run” all night and I loved the competitive nature of the defense for a change.

I was also impressed with Durden's play.  He should be a difference maker come fall.

Largest crowd and nicest weather for a spring game in quite some time.

Looking forward to the fall.  Barring a major injury, I expect this team to make the playoffs.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
Agreed.  Not making playoffs would be big disapointment.  Although starting out with 2 "sure loses" doesn't make it easy.  (Pitt and NDSU)
When you don't have depth injuries can be huge problem.  Davis very athletic, but no Wells passing and this is a passing game.  Also Ruiz, Nwadiogbu, Derek Rivers, Andrew Williams would be HUGE holes to fill.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
I do not agree with that 2 auto loss statement
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »
go guins ...I have to give the TD pass of the night to Davis during the spring game.. I thought it was a pick & the next thing I see that Harvin holds it up. I have always liked Garry as well. I have to like our QB situation & couple bigger good hands guys wearing Penguin Jersey's this year.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »
"@YSUSID: Tonight's attendance for the spring game was 3,006."

Pitt had 5,325 at their spring game FWIW.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 06:29:44 AM »
go guins ...I have to give the TD pass of the night to Davis during the spring game.. I thought it was a pick & the next thing I see that Harvin holds it up. I have always liked Garry as well. I have to like our QB situation & couple bigger good hands guys wearing Penguin Jersey's this year.

I agree with you on the best pass of the night goes to Davis, but probably not the one you are talking about. The first drive with the 2's, Davis threw a beautiful ball 40 yards to the back of the end zone that was dropped by the receiver that would have been a touchdown. That was a beautiful pass! :)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:10 AM »
Harvin, if he can keep being consistent will be a nice 1-2 punch with A-Williams at WR.