Author Topic: State of men’s basketball  (Read 101785 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: State of men’s basketball
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
PN,  you are correct. Yet Strollo should have been fired years ago. As inept  as he is as an AD, those in power have shown themselves to be even more inept  in not doing so. Lately, over the  last few years, people have stopped coming to games. I stopped two years ago in coming to BB games. This past season, I missed all of FB. I don't ever plan on coming back  while he is the AD. There are a lot of folks who feel the same way. I go back to the early Tressel years and saw all the championships. I saw most of the BB going back to Rice. But you have to be a clown not to acknowledge something has been seriously wrong since Strollo became AD. Poor coach choices. Poor personal contract administrations. Poor OOC scheduling . Poor promotions. Poor minor sports. His administration over  his time is full of screw-ups and little to show for it  over the years.

People realize they have little say in his retention , so they, like me, resort to their only means of control -- stop buying tickets and coming. No more Penguin Club  seats for me in FB. No tickets to BB. The farce has gone on far too long. I had enough of   poor BB . And while I stopped last season with FB, the latest HC hire is a fiasco, along with his brother and a religious nutbag assistant coach.  The  list will simply  continue to grow as people throw in the towel and walk away from YSU athletics in numbers.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:51:13 AM by paladin »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
In Slocum's 10 years, the Guins' highest finish in the league was 5th in 06-07.  They've finished 6th 3 times, 7th once, and 9th or 10th the other 5 years.  They have never made it to the semi-finals of the HL tournament, which means they have never won back to back games in the tournament.  As bad as UIC was this past season, they managed to win back to back games and advance to the semi-finals.  Here is the number of semi-final appearances by team over the past 10 years.

Butler - 7
Green Bay - 6
CSU - 6
WSU - 5
Valpo - 5
Milwaukee - 4
Detroit - 3
UIC - 2
Loyola - 2
Oakland - 0 (only been in the league 2 years)
YSU - A BIG FAT ZERO

Let's use those same teams and list all of them that have a football team that supports more than 8 scholarships? 1 = YSU. You cannot deny it, that changes everything ...top-to-bottom. Hey lobby the NCAA to drop title-IX and when we still have this performance out of MBB ...I will change my vote.

I agree that does make it more difficult, but with a good coach it would not be impossible.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
As I stated in an earlier post, too much blame for all the concerns people have is placed on Strollo...do you really  think that he had nothing to do with the huge upgrades in the athletic facilities? Beautiful track, and soccer field, perfect little softball venue and all the upgrades to our basketball facility. The WATTS center, though not his baby, occured under his tenure. So if we can blame him for everything under the sun should we not also give him any credit for that building? Coaches make the schedules through their networking, AD's just firm up the dates and the dollars. Ron Strollo is not the problem. Far from it. Our football program went down since Coach JT left because the ensuing coaches werent Coach JT. As far as bad-mouthing Bo, he brought back the Nebraska program after Callahan just about made it irrelevant. Haters are going to hate, and bandwagon jumpers hop on and off depending on success. The plan Strollo had after Robic was a solid one, but it seems the choice was wrong. The next basketball hire will tell the tale..did Strollo not make 2 great hires for our women? Or doesnt he get any credit for that? Everything has improved at YSU except a few team records, yet Strollo gets next to no credit but all of the blame. Blinders dont allow some folks to see the entire picture.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »
The "tale" has already been "told" . That's a major reason people have left attending YSU games . It will keep going down. The AD is a loser.

It always starts at the top.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
like a good friend of mine always says.."He don't know that he don't know"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »
Every NCAA and NAIA school does facility upgrades. Many do enormously more than YSU.

Also, you don't (other than YSU) get to do part of your job well, for a few years, and be inept at the most important aspects of your job.

Stonehenge, the pyramids, and Strollo not being fired. True mysteries of mankind.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
I still dont understand all the venom....what would any of you naysayers do differently? And dont say you would hire a different coach...hindsight is always 20/20...a bad AD hires crooks and does some phoney baloney with funds or totally ignores upgrades when they are available...what has he really done wrong? A good AD doesnt make knee jerk decisions because of some losing seasons, he uncovers reasons and if they are valid enough he takes action...we will have a new MBB coach next season..put away the rakes and torches...if you arent loyal to the U then stay away...no loss

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »
I still dont understand all the venom....what would any of you naysayers do differently? And dont say you would hire a different coach...hindsight is always 20/20...a bad AD hires crooks and does some phoney baloney with funds or totally ignores upgrades when they are available...what has he really done wrong? A good AD doesnt make knee jerk decisions because of some losing seasons, he uncovers reasons and if they are valid enough he takes action...we will have a new MBB coach next season..put away the rakes and torches...if you arent loyal to the U then stay away...no loss

Look at the 2011 Scalzo article I posted earlier in the thread. It describes clear and obvious deficiencies of Slocum, and Strollo renewed his contract anyway. The best predictor of future performance is past performance. Strollo doomed MBB for another five years.

Would I have renewed the contracts of proven failures? No way, and these are easy decisions to make.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
bags -- read carefully. I attended for decades and have stopped coming. So have others. Reason -- Strollo.  Read carefully  -- who gives a sh!t. Since YSU obviously doesn't, neither should we.   Read carefully -- no more ticket purchases and no attending games. Me and many, many others. And it will continue.

Keep Strollo. Be happy

But accept the consequences.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Sounds good to me Pally. I will be happy to accept the consequences of keeping Strollo for a longtime to come; as will most people on and off campus. You have nothing new to offer. Always fire a coach or staff member ...gets old real quick buddy. People leave the board because of you ...and just about every one of them asks me to fire you. Fire Strollo ...heard it. Fire Slocum ...heard it. Wolford was the greatest coach of all time once we canned him; but before then he should have been fired ...heard that as well. You and a few other on here accuse others of trolling, but you are more than guilty of it yourselves.

BTW ...I am going to start removing these "fire people comments" all you want to do is push it to the top & I will not have the board ruined because people offer no real solutions.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2015, 06:50:19 AM »
AMEN!

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »
These boards and other social media are no different than bars and then talk radio.  People express their opinions whether rational are not.  Sometimes people go over the edge just to get attention. It goes with the territory.  The only difference is that in these forums things are in print which seems to give them a sense of credibility and permanence that the the opinions themselves dont deserve. Years ago I took a teaching workshop. One of the points that has stuck with me was that the best way to deal with ridiculous statements from students was silence. Just let the statements sink of their own weight and trust everyone to recognize them for what they are.  Argument and other punitive actions just encourages them. 

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »
"I see nuthink...I know nuthink...I dont even know if I got up this mornink!" Sgt. Shultz 1944

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »
Looks like we will play Kent State at Kent State in the Coach Peters tournament.  I hope this becomes an annual event.

https://twitter.com/danabalash21/status/588451602878566400

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
BTW ...I am going to start removing these "fire people comments" all you want to do is push it to the top & I will not have the board ruined because people offer no real solutions.

I'm all for censoring out attacks of a personal nature.  However, I can't suggest a solution to the poor performance of our AD or MBB HC (the solution obviously being replace them with someone competent)? 

The comments I've made were strictly regarding their performance, and I've supported my statements with statistics and links to articles.

They may seem repetitive, but so are the losing seasons and the player defections.

We are only allowed to post opinions that you don't strongly oppose?