Author Topic: State of men’s basketball  (Read 101786 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: State of men’s basketball
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »
1AA........open your mouth and remove all doubt. Geez....I can't believe what you posted. Sarcasm, I hope? The rim is at 10'....not 11. And as for the kid who works to get to 80% shooting?......sign him up w/ Slocum! I will personally fund his scholarship, take his classes for him and attend all games! Of course, it will only last one year...until he gets fed up with the program, coaching, apathy, environment etc...and transfers out.
By the way....where are your football seats located.....the 110 yard line?

Sorry on the net height, but does not change anything I said. BTW, I said 80% , clearly I meant charity tosses. BTW, 80% at the line should be written in stone. YSU is what it is ...the environment is never going to change. We are not some picturesque, or big city, campus. You can make coach comments all day (as most of you posting in this thread do), but you are not helping anything ...who are you trying to convince? Me, Slocum, Strollo, recruits, current players? All you do is chase people away from the board, give Slocum and Strollo a chuckle or yawn, scare away recruits and create animosity among players. Luckily they have learned not to read the board.

Look at the current conversations for changes in the NFL? They think that they have enough votes to eliminate the extra-point. Why because it is too simple. Even though they know that the proper thing to do is move the kicking distance back so that it is not as simple. If you look at the average male height back when basketball was invented ...it was about 5'3. The basket was set to 10' ...in part because of the height of barn doors. None the less, that is 53% of the height of the rim. Now if you take a guy that is 7' tall, his hoop height should be 13.71' feet tall, just to accomplish the same athletic feats.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:53:51 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
What did this subject turn into?! Somebody turned this into a whole bunch of meaningless stats....no one ever asked me what I watch on tv so I dont believe a word of what sport has falling numbers. As far as NBA basketball is concerned, has anyone ever watched an NBA Classic game? Scores were 125-120 not because the players shot the ball better or made 80% of their free throws...no...watch closely...no one ever played any defense..ever...Ive never seen so many open looks...the subject is the state of YSU's mens basketball program...no one goes because they dont win..period

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
Just curious......anyone know what UWGB paid their new coach?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »

From Deadspin.com:

"...annual salary of $133,132 plus another $70,000 in outside income..."

"University of Wisconsin—Green Bay men's basketball coach Brian Wardle made news last month when it got out that he may have made his players run hills so much that one of his players, Ryan Bross, shat his pants, and that he may have then proceeded to heckle the poor pants-sh**ter all season long."

http://deadspin.com/college-hoops-coach-who-made-players-run-until-one-poop-509889252
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
He denied being hired yesterday. He says he has not even been to UWGB, but did not deny talking with them. With his three bonuses, he made over $100k at a DII school.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »

From Deadspin.com:

"...annual salary of $133,132 plus another $70,000 in outside income..."

"University of Wisconsin—Green Bay men's basketball coach Brian Wardle made news last month when it got out that he may have made his players run hills so much that one of his players, Ryan Bross, shat his pants, and that he may have then proceeded to heckle the poor pants-sh**ter all season long."

http://deadspin.com/college-hoops-coach-who-made-players-run-until-one-poop-509889252

More than I needed to know, just saying
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »
Guess it goes to show.......you can win without a "top paid" coach. Bonuses? What a novel idea. Think the value of the bonus would be more than offset by the benefit the university recognize? Utter brilliance!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2015, 07:33:48 PM »
Five year old data.  If accurate, we weren't being as outspent by other HL members as I was led to believe.

http://uicflames.proboards.com/thread/2422
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
Lots of numbers to digest, Penguin. Don't rock the boat.....shatter the dream....blow the smoke away. Mirrors and smoke have fooled many a "viewers" over the years. Often times hard to digest the "facts"....that's why we rely on stats so much today......they can be formed....like clay....to be whatever item you want to portray.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
Better yet...after doing the math....get rid of "tweedle-dee" and "tweedle-dum" and you can apply the $111,000 in savings to Slocum's pay. They don't seem to be allowed a whole lot of input.....and Slocum could be rewarded accordingly. Of course though.....who would do the post game interviews with Rob?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2015, 10:41:25 PM »
Guess it goes to show.......you can win without a "top paid" coach. Bonuses? What a novel idea. Think the value of the bonus would be more than offset by the benefit the university recognize? Utter brilliance!

Don't know of any program that does not do it ...Slocum has bonuses in his agreement.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2015, 10:46:18 PM »
Five year old data.  If accurate, we weren't being as outspent by other HL members as I was led to believe.

http://uicflames.proboards.com/thread/2422

Valpo's Drew Bryce getting paid only 112k ...yeah maybe per month or quarter.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
Three year old data of total HC salaries (bonuses included) of teams in the 2012 NCAA tournament:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-03-28/ncaa-coaches-salary-database/53827374/1

A few notables:

Vermont  $170K
SDSU      $150K
The Griz   $166K
Norfolk st.   $125.5K
MS Val St    $87.5K
Lamar  $150K

It looks like HC salary isn't the only variable regarding the success of a D1 MBB program. 

It is interesting that YSU could afford gems like Barnes, Bolden, and Tressel....but we must languish in failure with Slocum.

Here's a Vindy article from when Slocum's contract was renewed titled, "Like it or not, Slocum will return."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/mar/02/like-it-or-not-slocum-will-return/

Some excerpts from that article:

"...it’s also hard to argue that Slocum is the school’s long-term answer.

He makes no effort to build relationships with fans or boosters — something Robic, as prickly as he was, at least tried to do — and he’s even worse with the media."

"He’s also struggled to keep players. Six have left in the last 12 months, with another, Devonte Maymon, likely to leave after this season. If you make the argument that most of them needed to go — something I’ve heard — well, who recruited them in the first place?"

"More surprising, there doesn't seem to be any outrage from fans, boosters or school officials about the sad state of the basketball program.

Until enough people speak up and the school decides to make a strong financial commitment to fielding a competitive basketball team, the Penguins will continue to pay rent in the Horizon League’s basement."

Four years ago, it was apparent that we had a HC that couldn't retain players he put the time and expense into recruiting and developing, and puts no effort into public relations....and who doesn't win.

Not surprisingly, we have the same deficiencies four years later.  His contract renewal assured four more years of failure.

Scalzo's comment about the lack of outrage is interesting.  The expression of outrage, IMO, was fans quietly distancing themselves from the debacle known as YSU MBB. 

The AD's renewal of Slocum's and Heacock's contracts doomed those revenue generating programs for years, and those gross errors in judgment have gone unanswered.

The Athletic Department is under the purview of the University President, and gross misuse of University resources in the Athletic Department should concern President Tressel.  I applaud his efforts to get BP here, but allowing MBB, the second revenue generating sport at YSU to remain adrift is very disappointing.  Maybe we are chained to Slocum for another year, but the guy that chained us to him, knowing he was underperforming (see the Vindy article), should be held accountable.

An by accountable.....I mean fired.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
It seems we are all beating a dead horse here...our MBB HC is not going to quit nor are we firing him...all this salary talk is pointless until next March when we will have a search commitee for a new coach...this staff will have a hard time finding recruits to fill the remaining slots so we might be below the scholarship limit..the only thing that should concern us at this point is retaining the players we do have and the next wave of newcomers...as far as the next HC goes, we will need to find a guy that doesnt honestly care about his own salary but about his recruiting budget...someone that just wants a shot to run a D1 program and is honestly looking at this job as a stepping stone...win here and everyone will be after him...our next hire must be a correct one

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
It seems we are all beating a dead horse here...our MBB HC is not going to quit nor are we firing him...all this salary talk is pointless until next March when we will have a search commitee for a new coach...

Next March?  I take it that you are optimistic about getting win #700 THIS season.
Hey, there is always Bob Knight.. He is only 74, but could turn the program around for the next coach.
This of course is all TIC but things must turn around.