Author Topic: New Sport: Women's Bowling  (Read 23561 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: New Sport: Women's Bowling
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
TRending ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

YSU has LOST enrollment for FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS. If the enrollment   for Fall 2015 is another drop over Fall 2014, then brace yourselves because the cuts will begin. Millions of dollars have been lost and the state isn't reimbursing. The REAL trend is that most people recognize that college
 isn't always a great return on investment nor is a good job to be had for all  the expenditures that college costs and thus, college enrollments are under pressure everywhere. Many majors offer little or no job offers in the  area of study and others find shrinking job opportunities. The trend is down.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 12:56:01 PM »
Applications are way up.  President Tressel has done aggressive outreach to area HSs, and the marketing of the University has improved.   I don't know that it will mean increased enrollment, but it makes sense that it would.

http://www.thejambar.com/ysu-admissions-up-66-percent/

I don't understand the creation of new sports when we are constantly fed excuses that the revenue generating sports are underfunded.  The only way it makes sense, other that having an inept AD with poor decision making skills, would be if we are changing conferences, and aligning our sports to those of a new conference.

BINGO!  All of the facilities upgrades point this way. Remember, we were told that when the MAC took SUNY-Buffalo, it was because they had just built all of the tremendous facilities. They were scheduled to host the World Collegiate Games and the government put a lot of $$$ into the campus.

Again neither the MAC or HL have Bowling. However, the NCAA currently does not require any conference affiliations for bowling. Currently, four conferences (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Northeast Conference, Southwest Athletic Conference and Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) account for 36 of the 63 schools that sponsor the sport. There are 27 teams that do not have conference affiliation.

I was ready on NCAA.org that the NCAA wants to have 8 conferences sponsoring Bowling by the 2018 tournament. That being said, I would hope they are willing to help out financially, at the conference level, then it would be passed on to us.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:31:00 PM by IAA Fan »

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
I do not want to get off the topic of a new sport, but we need some YSU business/Econ majors to speak up here. The obvious trend in all post-prep education is down. This does not mean the world is coming to and end; it just means your consumer is changing. What it indicates is an economic shift. In education, this could mean things such as lower population in a given age group (university presidents are always looking at population data). Or it could be something more micro, such as a reduction in local population causing issues at more specific universities (again the more prudent university presidents are tracking these things).

I know that in the recent past, the general focus of collegiate education had been in academic specialization. That is being unique from you closest competition and focusing on people that want to go this direction. However, we can clearly see the recent changes in this has become quite the opposite. Look at YSU's additional majors and degrees added in PE, General Studies, STEM, etc. These all indicates that we are entering an era of more general education. I am not saying we will go back to "Reading, Writing and Arithmetic" but we all have to agree that YSU is doing well in these core areas. It is a great sign of things to come for "Guin State".

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 02:03:19 PM »
Official....

The Jambar @TheJambar  ·  2h 2 hours ago
YSU is adding a NCAA women's bowling team with the goal of starting during the 2015-2016 season, YSU Athletic Director Ron Strollo confirms.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
Good find 0505. I wonder if they are going to keep using McGuffy? I have not been to that part of town recently, but I think I would like to see them use another facility. Any bowlers out there? What are the best close facilities?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:29:11 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufratrat23

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
I believe McGuffey is gone. The bldg was part of the plaza and the plaza was demolished. Best bet would be Camelot Lanes in Boardman or Holiday Bowl in Struthers.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 08:29:58 PM »
As usual Pally hater is full of crap. Since Tressel started Petes pride a new marketing campaign enrollment for new students is projected at 5800 new fresh. Normal Fall enrollment is like 2800.  The last crash day almost 1500 students showed up in crappy weather almost 500 more than the largest turnout.  Tressel has created new excitement about YSU and I have seen countless pics in Facebook where he meets all the attendees and greets each off them.  He loves YSU and he gives 110% to get us back on track.  So keep scratching your head Pally hater because the , "Winds of change" are happening and JT, Strollo and Pellini are a winning combination!!!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »
If we existed in a universe where the Athletic Department had surplus funds, two sports that may do well are Men's Soccer and Hockey (as a sponsored sport, not club level).  The SteelHounds drew decent crowds at Covelli even with unheard of CHL opponents.  The MAC has teams in the NCAA top 25 (Miami (OH) is ranked fourth).  Robert Morris is ranked in the top 25.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »
Wrestling Club is getting started!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:44 PM »
Todays Tribune brings news of YSU's declining enrollment. Cold sobering facts. Truth(  although the cheerleaders here avoid it to live in fantasy worlds).  YSU Fall enrollment numbers have been --

2010-- 15194
2011-- 14541
2012-- 13813
2013-- 13381
2014-- 12551

In addition, the Spring enrollment numbers are in decline as well. Spring 2014 was 12801 and Spring 2015 is announced as 12321. YSU has hired a recruitment service, spending $300,000 to try to reverse the trend. Tressel has visited 25 area H.S. attempting to lure students in. YSU has started splitting schollies up , offering  aid to more students.  YSU is in full panic  mode because CUTS are next.

Yet, these problems remain -- as I discussed previously, college is viewed negatively by many for their expensive costs and few jobs available at graduation.  YSU remains a commuter school and , fair or not, viewed as a substandard college  compared to traditional colleges. YSU remains a second or third choice for area students who view Ohio St. or a regional school ( Kent, O.U., BG or Miami ) as preferable.

YSU views the applications being up as a sign that things will turn around while the truth is many simply use YSU as a fallback from their top choices  with multiple applications and the ongoing "recruitment " push. The reality will arrive this Fall when numbers are in. Chances are fair that numbers might be up slightly but could also be down and in the scheme of things, YSU has lost a huge block of enrollment that can't be made up. The numbers crunchers are already studying areas for cuts. Bowling may not seem like much but could it be a REPLACEMENT for a more expensive sport currently in operation ? Replace one with another and save $$$$$$$$$$$$ ?  The story isn't over yet. Look for lots of changes ahead, especially as FB and MBB fail to deliver big crowds. We are only at the beginning folks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:55:10 PM by paladin »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »
Amazes me to see these FCS level football program that we are in the same league as and are supposed to be equal with have teams in the NCAA tournament... Butler, UNI, NDSU, Eastern Washington... But YSU can't sniff a .500 record with Mr. Slocum. Sigh

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »
I noticed that too.  From the MVFC alone, UNI and NDSU are in the NCAA tournament, and SDSU and ISUr are in the NIT.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »
Also, it is scandalous that Slocum is returning.  Players punching each other, quality talent transferring out, a noncompetitive season....and yet he stays another year to run a >$1.3M program.

The Vindy has no credibility IMO...they defend Strollo rather than ask how it's possible that an inept coach is given such a long contract extension....again.....

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
Strollo is worthless. Get  used to it

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
Move your anti-slocum posts to the proper thread. You cloud up ever topic with this crap. If you do not care about Bowling then do not post in this topic. Spend your time looking at the level of scholarships between men and women ...we still have not found it.

SDSU and NDSU have no competition, as we discuss in football year after year. ILS has always been a basketball school (not a football school). Butler is non-scholarship in football & a member of the former Big East ...not the Horizon League or MVC.

Paladin. You mention declining enrollment, something we all know and all schools experience. You then discuss that your new University president is doing something about it. Only you would see that as a negative. Why not thanks him and give us more details on that?