Author Topic: New Sport: Women's Bowling  (Read 22974 times)

Spiderlegs

Re: New Sport: Women's Bowling
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »
Paladin can atone for his sins by joining Pete's Pride:

http://web.ysu.edu/gen/ysu/Petes_Pride_m5018.html

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
What I can tell you is none of my kids wanted to go to YSU. They became Kent St. grads. Now, I have a grandson ( Jr.) and a granddaughter( Frosh) who both go to Kent St. as well. Tressel has appeared at numerous H.S., my grandkids' included. While respectful, none of the kids planned to change their favored college to YSU. At best , I have a Grandson in H.S. who is a jock that talks about playing for YSU, but he is just a Frosh, so too early to  know where he will end up. BTW, he is pretty good, team Captain and multi-sport star. Many of the kids friends were promised by Tressel that if they transferred into YSU, he would get them some aid. So far, the granddaughter has friends at Cincy, BG and O.U.  None will take Tressel up on his offer.

The Fall numbers will tell  the tale.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
What I can tell you is none of my kids wanted to go to YSU. They became Kent St. grads. Now, I have a grandson ( Jr.) and a granddaughter( Frosh) who both go to Kent St. as well. Tressel has appeared at numerous H.S., my grandkids' included. While respectful, none of the kids planned to change their favored college to YSU. At best , I have a Grandson in H.S. who is a jock that talks about playing for YSU, but he is just a Frosh, so too early to  know where he will end up. BTW, he is pretty good, team Captain and multi-sport star. Many of the kids friends were promised by Tressel that if they transferred into YSU, he would get them some aid. So far, the granddaughter has friends at Cincy, BG and O.U.  None will take Tressel up on his offer.

The Fall numbers will tell  the tale.

So what bigger schools ...what is your point? Has not Ytown always been loaded with Kids whose parents send them to Kent? I am almost 50, so this is nothing new. UC is the only school in the state with an increase in enrollment ...that is because of their new "diversity" program ...lol. Need I say any more? They now offer heavy race/gender/income/age related scholarships. Heck, their average age for student was 24.6 years as of last year ..I guarantee you that has not gone down. They are quickly becoming the largest community college in the country.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »
Paladin,

It is undeniable that enrollment is down, including for the current semester.  But what do you think about this?

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/feb/23/ysu-applications-fall-after-enhanced-recruitment/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »
It reminds me of the hype you hear from the athletic dept about  an upcoming foe, trying to hype the game for increased ticket sales. The article itself admits that increased applications do NOT equal increased enrollment. That's why I said before that this Falls numbers may be slightly up, given all the  attention that the dire situation calls for ( hiring a recruitment firm, Tressel out on PR tour and YSU breaking up schollies  to try to get more  kids with $$$$$$$$$$ in their hands). However, YSU is in a box. The demographic of he typical YSU student is one who can't afford Ohio St. or a regional college ( Kent, O.U., etc). But YSU has grown in costs to the point many are balking at attending since so few jobs are available at graduation. And many kids look at YSU as a 7-8 year attendance, working their way thru. What you are witnessing is a bursting higher ed bubble. I don't see a recovery. Its too expensive with little to no payoff at the end ( graduation).

And , YSU has been forced to supplement the athletic office because of poor management by the AD. The money sports  are dragging up from behind as attendance  fell at FB and MBB. Those carry  everything  else . Poor coach selections, foolish contract extensions, not enough money games and very poor scheduling results in the downfall that is a drain on the total school budget. I can't say where the cuts are coming, but the athletic dept won't escape them.  YSU is in full panic mode and the tsunami hasn't  even hit yet.

But it will

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
You are such a Ron. Again with the obvious & the "tsunami" is not see by anyone but you ...LOL. The amount of $$ spent on athletics at YSU is the envy of just about any team in the nation, outside of a few in the boonies and those that are the largest in their states. 90%+ of all DI schools with football do not even cover that single sport. You just never quit and no matter what happens you will always say "you called it" or a class which I stated was the best in the MVFC" ...lol. How about the only time you are right, is when someone else mentions it.  :)

Again what happened to women's bowling ...you know the subject of this thread? Get out an read quickly on the internet so you can dazzle us with your expert knowledge on the sport after reading only 1 or two paragraphs.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 09:11:47 AM »
You are such a Ron.

What's a "Ron"?  Did you call him a "Ron Strollo"?  My goodness. That's almost as bad as calling someone a "Heacock." 

There is no need for such offensive and insulting name-calling in this forum.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
The amount of $$ spent on athletics at YSU is the envy of just about any team in the nation, outside of a few in the boonies and those that are the largest in their states. 90%+ of all DI schools with football do not even cover that single sport.

...no...just no.  The first part of that statement is just plain false.  The MAC which gets destroyed on this board on a daily basis doubles YSU's investment in athletics, lets not get into every sport men's or women's in the Power 5. 
Secondly the point of football is not to cover football as only 10 schools in the COUNTRY do this annually.  The point is to have "in house" marketing for the institution (much like the USSR government subsidized sports system back in the day, it was a demonstration of their strength), and to derive donors based on that show of strength. 

So what bigger schools ...what is your point? Has not Ytown always been loaded with Kids whose parents send them to Kent? I am almost 50, so this is nothing new. UC is the only school in the state with an increase in enrollment ...that is because of their new "diversity" program ...lol. Need I say any more? They now offer heavy race/gender/income/age related scholarships. Heck, their average age for student was 24.6 years as of last year ..I guarantee you that has not gone down. They are quickly becoming the largest community college in the country.

"Diversity program...lol"?  so a Diversity program that drives up enrollment is a bad thing?  what does average age of students have to do with anything?  You say largest community college in the country as if that's a bad thing and maybe it is, who knows.  But if true than where does that leave YSU? 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
Observer: I must not have been clear enough in my $$$ comment ...sorry. I mean we dip far less than most schools into the scholastic funds, Heck athletic programs in the MAC survive off of their GF. At least we generate revenue. Look at OSU ,, they made $86mil in football profit the last year Tressel was there. Will beat that this coming year.

You are absolutely right on the point about doing what they need to do at UC. However if Tressel did do something like that at YSU, Paladin would find a way to downgrade the efforts. The reason that I brought up the age, is that most people that attend CC's are male, married, family, working and "older". The average undergrad age of a more traditional university is probably between 19 and 20. Another way to obtain more students is to offer more grad programs. Schools with large grad populations have very high average age per student. Additionally, the more localized a school is, the greater the need for graduate studies, as the kids have already obtained their undergrad.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 02:56:27 PM »
Official Announcement:

Youngstown State University will add a women’s bowling program as a new intercollegiate athletic program beginning in the fall of 2015, Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Ron Strollo announced on Wednesday.

Women’s Bowling will become the 19th Division I sport and 11th women's sport currently offered by the YSU Athletic Department.

The 2015-16 academic year will serve as “start-up” period to hire a coach, recruit student-athletes, secure a facility and prepare a schedule to begin competition in 2016-17.

Strollo said adding a bowling program helps the University in many ways; it provides an opportunity to add 10-12 students to Youngstown State's enrollment; it helps with the gender equity numbers of the department; andi it also gives the Penguins a chance to compete for another National Championship at the collegiate level.

“We’re excited about this new opportunity to recruit high school students, primarily within Ohio, to pursue their academic and athletic goals at Youngstown State,” Strollo said.

Women’s Bowling is sponsored by the Ohio High School Athletic Association providing the program with a solid base from the outset.

“The Mahoning Valley has a rich tradition of bowling,” Strollo said. “Further, the popularity amongst area and regional high school students coupled with women’s bowling having been a club sport at YSU already made this a natural fit to add to our Division I athletic sport offerings.”

YSU women’s bowling will participate in competition as a Division I independent team and will not be affiliated with any league at this time. Nearly 40 Division I programs sponsor women's bowling as an intercollegiate sport.

The YSU Board of Trustees approved a five-year Gender Equity Plan in 2009 that included adding another women’s sport program as a component of the plan to comply with Title IX.

Individuals who would like to apply for the position of Head Women’s Bowling Coach need to meet the minimum requirements and submit an application at https://jobs.ysu.edu/postings/1442

Questions should be directed to Assistant Director of Athletics Jesse Potter at jwpotter@ysu.edu

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
 Cabinet refers automatic qualification proposal for bowling
Bowling Committee hopeful the recommendation will be approved by new oversight committee to start in 2018
February 18, 2015 11:35amGreg Johnson

Women’s bowling is closing in on a guaranteed path to its postseason, but one step remains.

During a conference call Feb. 10, the Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet referred a decision on when to implement automatic qualification for the NCAA Women’s Bowling Championship to the newly formed Competition Oversight Committee.

The proposal from the NCAA Bowling Committee would provide conference champions with an automatic spot in the NCAA championship beginning in 2018. The Competition Oversight Committee, part of the new Division I governance structure, will determine whether to approve that implementation date.

Committee members believe the automatic qualifier will encourage schools weighing the addition of new sports to consider bowling.

Currently, tournament participants are selected as at-large participants in the eight-team bracket. Four conferences (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Northeast Conference, Southwest Athletic Conference and Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) account for 36 of the 63 schools that sponsor the sport.

There are 27 teams that do not have conference affiliation.

By rule, six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years to be eligible for automatic qualification.

The bowling committee believes the 2018 time frame will allow schools not in a conference to strategically align themselves and allow for better planning when considering conference affiliation.

Committee members feel the automatic qualification will also provide the ability to monitor the number of conferences and develop a plan if the number of conferences exceeds 50 percent of the eight-team bracket.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
Rank    Team    Won    Loss    Pct.
1    Nebraska    85    20    640
2    Fairleigh-Dickinson    86    22    580
3    Arkansas State    68    27    534
4    Central Missouri    83    38    504
5    Stephen F. Austin    73    34    442
6    Vanderbilt    88    38    426
7    SAM HOUSTON    84    40    382
8    Wisconsin-Whitewater    62    33    328
9    Maryland-Eastern Shore    89    42    288
10    North Carolina A&T    70    38    272
11    McKendree    50    31    235
12    Saint Francis (Penn)    74    41    167
13    Sacred Heart    53    35    156
14    LIU-Brooklyn    58    46    152
15    Saint Francis Brooklyn    79    50    118
16    Valparaiso    47    60    77
17    Delaware State    75    48    69
18    Norfolk State    54    34    41
19    Kutztown    55    47    40
20    UAB    60    49    39

Last Year's national champs were Sam Houston State, the prior 3 years were Nebraska. The more that I look at this, the more I like the idea. I did not realize that the OHSAA is one of the few that sponsor girls bowling. I guess a two-time recent DI champ is from this part of Ohio & I cannot seem to find her.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »
Where will the women bowl, 1AA? I would presume that these are off campus venues. Any sport we might win at I am all for.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
Strollo said in this week's announcement they have not found a venue.