Author Topic: New Sport: Women's Bowling  (Read 22986 times)

CookieMonsterSig

New Sport: Women's Bowling
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »
Anyone else hearing about a women's bowling team for YSU?

They are hiring for a head coach... https://jobs.ysu.edu/postings/1442

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: New Sport: Women's Bowling
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
News to me. I would be interested in seeing where our title IX numbers are now? Evidently one of the men's sports has increased the scholarship load. Or, a "potential" men's sport. I have been hearing for some time that we are bringing soccer ...even prior to the new facility. FYI, the HL or MAC does not sponsor bowling.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
Speaking of new sports....I wonder why hockey has never gained traction.  First, it has the potential to generate real revenue. Second, there are good D1 hockey programs in the region--Robert Morris and Mercyhurst to name 2. 3) Youth hockey in Columbus, Pittsburgh and Cleveland is booming as well as the Phantoms providing a pipeline of talent 4) there is a facility in place 5) The recent NCAA D1 champion awarded NO hockey scholarships. 

Spiderlegs

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:41:43 PM »
Hockey apparently is coming back next year:

http://www.thejambar.com/hockey-returns-to-ysu/

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:12:27 PM »
Where does/would hockey team play?  Ice Zone or Covelli?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »
Love hockey!!! Will definitely support!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
 I really have to shake my head. Enrollment is declining and YSU is in major financial difficulty. Attendance is dropping seriously at football and MBB, the money sports. And people are talking adding sports ? With what money ? Someone wants wrestling ? Now hockey ? You are sliding deeper into trouble and everyone wants to party. Must be in Youngstown !

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
paladin, at least you are consistant.  Always the "downer."  Yes enrollment has been down, and football attendance has been falling, but JT and BP have been brought in to fix both and I hate to see us try to repeat the historically successful program of trying to "save" ourselves into success.  I don't know about hockey, bowling or whatever adding much to the university, but we can't just do the same old thing and expect different results.  I would be willing to bet JT will increase enrollment, increase graduation rates, and add 100 million to the YSU endowments in his time as President.  I don't doubt the football record also improves.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 06:13:17 PM »
Hockey is trying to come back as a club sport run through the Campus Rec, not a varsity athletic team.

The article even highlighted it...

“It’s really competitive club hockey,”

YSU's Club Hockey will be right there with our bass fishing & ultimate Frisbee teams. While our Women's Bowling team will be on the level of our other varsity athletic teams.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
Actually, enrollment has been up this year with Jimmy T running things.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »
Check the numbers. Enrollment is WAY DOWN and while may be slightly up this year so far over last Fall    , it has a long way to recover.   Other than landing a name coach, who is carrying a lot of baggage,  I expect football to remain in trouble with attendance. The only increase I see coming is maybe suckering the business community to buy some blocks of tickets which sit empty during game time. Basketball has another year of Jerry next year. It is not the time to be expanding the athletic dept which is woefully run as it is. Next 5 years are critical here. I'm not ready to project cutbacks, but it isn't far off right now.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 08:11:22 AM »
I dont get the bowling thing. It hasnt been announced and Im not sure how it fits in, unless its a Title IX move.  Applications are up, but they are way up everywhere because the application process makes it inexpensive and easy for students to apply to multiple colleges at the same time. Its not clear whether it will translate into actually students.  Presidents need at least two years to get their plan and people in place. Then we will see where athletics fits in and what can be cut or added.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
Applications are way up.  President Tressel has done aggressive outreach to area HSs, and the marketing of the University has improved.   I don't know that it will mean increased enrollment, but it makes sense that it would.

http://www.thejambar.com/ysu-admissions-up-66-percent/

I don't understand the creation of new sports when we are constantly fed excuses that the revenue generating sports are underfunded.  The only way it makes sense, other that having an inept AD with poor decision making skills, would be if we are changing conferences, and aligning our sports to those of a new conference. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »
I would say things are trending upward Pally.