Author Topic: Assistant Coaches (non football)  (Read 20202 times)

Lets_Talk

Assistant Coaches (non football)
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
1AA Fan,

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:26:05 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches (non football)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
First, a little history.... no one complained when Paladin predicted winning and playoffs. No one complained when Paladin picked YSU to win.  None complained when favorable evaluations of recruits were announced. But make a prediction of   losing ( which they did) or missing the playoffs ( which they did) or evaluating a coach as  a poor one ( which happened) and suddenly  Paladin  is " negative" ?   Paladin prides himself in being CORRECT "most of the time".

Now , please don't confuse this with "which" camp I'm in with. I was a HC at a Parochial. But I don't associate with any "camp" in the Valley. Carfaro ? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Pluzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !  Apparently we have some real thin skinned folks here who are really  pr!cks. I got a laugh out of the inside scoop that everyone reading this board should understand about the locals parochial schools ( who don't recruit  ;D ;D ;D). The Valley is so corrupt its a shame. Life in the fast lane. 

So Pelini is the savior ?  8)   I made MY COMMENTS BASED ON what I KNOW . He is having PROBLEMS getting a staff. Even the ones he agreed to keep are leaving. Recruiting staff is challenging, no ? Heres a tip -- he is not only foul mouthed, arrogant and shoots from the hip often, he.............................. hold for it............................................... is NOT considered a great guy to work for. Having questionable recruiting skills will soon be answered. I suspect there will be a HOST of problems here with him  and winning may not be the the expected outcome.  But I'll let everyone hang themselves with their comments while I pass along my outlooks and inside info. For certain, the heat is going to get turned up and its going to get laughable here. Grab some popcorn. You can laugh at Paladin being wrong ( highly unlikely and rare) or cry about another Strollo gift that blows up in everyone faces ( which has been a regular act).

Hey, we got the former NEBRASKA HEAD COACH, a former pro coach. What could go wrong ?  Really ??

Relax. The show has started.  Hint -- its not a DRAMA. Its a COMEDY !  8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:27:32 PM by paladin »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »
From Wikipedia:

"Obama has also written and talked about using alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind".[23] Obama was also a member of the "choom gang", a self-named group of friends that spent time together and occasionally smoked marijuana.[24][25]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

I don't support drug use, although I do support it's decriminalization. There are differences between violent crime and victimless crime. Carl Pelini has been convicted of nothing, but he is accused of a victimless indescretion. IMO, there are a zillion things more offensive than using cocaine.

IMO, this former BIG DC will bust his ass at YSU, and both YSU and The Pelini's will be better off.  Imagine the benefit the University, the players, and the community will have from the resume Carl Pelini brings.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
Lets_Talk.  I'm tired of the misinformation.  I admit that I know Carl, and I am bias, but everything I list here can be found with a little research.  That's what I did.  Paladin doesn't get it.  And you can make the stats say anything you want.  Let's go through the list.

When Carl took over Winnetonka they had won two games in 2 years.  He went 3-7, 3-7, and then 8-2 and was named Coach of the Year.  He left for Fitch, and Winnetonka made the playoffs two of the next three years.

Same story at Fitch.  When he took over, they had won 2 games the previous year.  They were bad.  He improved their numbers and established a program.  They won 3, 2 or 3 the second year, and went 6-4 his final year.  The next year, they were arguably one of the best teams in the state, with the same staff, and lost in the playoffs to McKinley.  Yes, the current coach must be good, but both schools would agree that they were better off after his tenure.

Next, DC at Minnesota State.  They hadn't won the previous year.  They started the season 1-6, and finished 6-6.  They defeated Nebraska Omaha, ranked first in the country, in the final game.  His defense was dominant.

At Ohio, he was defensive line coach for Frank Solich.  We know the job that staff has done there, and it was during his time that they went to their first bowl game in 30 years.  His defensive line and three first team, and six total all-conference performers.   

At Nebraska, when Carl was here, we were ranked in the top ten in almost every category during the entire five years he was here.  I can't even count the number of all-Americans he had while coordinator, and I have heard many of them attribute their success to his coaching. These numbers were never equaled after his departure.

As for all the rumors and innuendos of what happened at FAU, all of you are incorrect.  It amazes me.  It's like the old "telephone game."  Paladin made all that up.  I won't even respond to him.  What I do know is that if and when he returns to coaching, all of this will become clear with the information that will be released.

Finally, he did not "apply" for high school coaching jobs.  He wanted to stay near his son, and "inquired" about what he would have to do to re-certify.  He hasn't taught in over ten years, and the amount of continuing education that would be required was substantial, despite his two masters degrees.  He decided not to go that route.

I want to be a fan.  I would love to stay a member to keep up on Bo.  But I can't stand the misinformation that is being passed on as fact. 

Thank you for this!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
Lets_Talk.  I'm tired of the misinformation.  I admit that I know Carl, and I am bias, but everything I list here can be found with a little research.  That's what I did.  Paladin doesn't get it.  And you can make the stats say anything you want.  Let's go through the list.

When Carl took over Winnetonka they had won two games in 2 years.  He went 3-7, 3-7, and then 8-2 and was named Coach of the Year.  He left for Fitch, and Winnetonka made the playoffs two of the next three years.

Same story at Fitch.  When he took over, they had won 2 games the previous year.  They were bad.  He improved their numbers and established a program.  They won 3, 2 or 3 the second year, and went 6-4 his final year.  The next year, they were arguably one of the best teams in the state, with the same staff, and lost in the playoffs to McKinley.  Yes, the current coach must be good, but both schools would agree that they were better off after his tenure.

Next, DC at Minnesota State.  They hadn't won the previous year.  They started the season 1-6, and finished 6-6.  They defeated Nebraska Omaha, ranked first in the country, in the final game.  His defense was dominant.

At Ohio, he was defensive line coach for Frank Solich.  We know the job that staff has done there, and it was during his time that they went to their first bowl game in 30 years.  His defensive line and three first team, and six total all-conference performers.   

At Nebraska, when Carl was here, we were ranked in the top ten in almost every category during the entire five years he was here.  I can't even count the number of all-Americans he had while coordinator, and I have heard many of them attribute their success to his coaching. These numbers were never equaled after his departure.

As for all the rumors and innuendos of what happened at FAU, all of you are incorrect.  It amazes me.  It's like the old "telephone game."  Paladin made all that up.  I won't even respond to him.  What I do know is that if and when he returns to coaching, all of this will become clear with the information that will be released.

Finally, he did not "apply" for high school coaching jobs.  He wanted to stay near his son, and "inquired" about what he would have to do to re-certify.  He hasn't taught in over ten years, and the amount of continuing education that would be required was substantial, despite his two masters degrees.  He decided not to go that route.

I want to be a fan.  I would love to stay a member to keep up on Bo.  But I can't stand the misinformation that is being passed on as fact. 

Excellent.  Well said.  YSU has the opportunity to have an FBS level staff at an FCS school.  I hope they seize the opportunity they have before them.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:45 PM »
NebraskaPenguin sounds like a local or a holy roller from Lincoln. Paladin repeats what he reads others writing about the troubles in Florida and Lincoln. If you got a problem with me repeating newspapers and magazine reporting , go take it up with them.

However, I get it. Some here obviously don't. Selling one's "soul to the devil" is  where YSU is at. Lusting to win at all costs. Everything else be damned. I said it early and I'll keep repeating it ---- the hiring of Bo and what follows will be a comedy. Youngstown will be a national laughing  stock again. Disagree if you wish, but the stage is set. You have a complete incompetent at AD hiring a complete  neanderthal  complete with anger issues and potty mouth , bringing along his "Christian" assistant coach who preaches hatred and now wants his brother hired complete with his drug background.  You let players go who use drugs but hire coaches ? Great standards . Great publicity for YSU and Youngstown. Even the students get it here. Some of you will bw slow to ctach on, but don't worry. As I said , this will be a comedy, probably of National stature, certainly of local lore. Still think attendance is going to increase and stay there  ? Oh, and  of course, that coach from that great natio0nal power Nebraska is here. What could go wrong ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline NebraskaPenguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 01:25:17 AM »
Why does it matter where I'm from?  If you must know, I AM from Lincoln.  I have been friends with Carl since 2003.  I had to search some facts because I haven't memorized his resume.  My point was simple.  He is a great coach whose records may not reflect his talent because he took three rebuilding jobs.  His players loved him, and I witnessed personally how giving he was with them.  They were constantly at his house for dinner, team-building, etc.  He is also a good man, and a good person.  He is far from perfect, but who is?  As for the allegations, they will be addressed in time.  As I said, you are off the mark there too.  If you truly have an open mind, then you too will be convinced of all I have said. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
Why does it matter where I'm from?  If you must know, I AM from Lincoln.  I have been friends with Carl since 2003.  I had to search some facts because I haven't memorized his resume.  My point was simple.  He is a great coach whose records may not reflect his talent because he took three rebuilding jobs.  His players loved him, and I witnessed personally how giving he was with them.  They were constantly at his house for dinner, team-building, etc.  He is also a good man, and a good person.  He is far from perfect, but who is?  As for the allegations, they will be addressed in time.  As I said, you are off the mark there too.  If you truly have an open mind, then you too will be convinced of all I have said.

NP, interesting info about Carl, good to hear. BTW we have a couple of poster who love to try and get under peoples skin. Easiest to just ignore them.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »

However, I get it. Some here obviously don't. Selling one's "soul to the devil" is  where YSU is at. Lusting to win at all costs. Everything else be damned. I said it early and I'll keep repeating it ---- the hiring of Bo and what follows will be a comedy. Youngstown will be a national laughing  stock again. Disagree if you wish, but the stage is set. You have a complete incompetent at AD hiring a complete  neanderthal  complete with anger issues and potty mouth , bringing along his "Christian" assistant coach who preaches hatred and now wants his brother hired complete with his drug background.  You let players go who use drugs but hire coaches ? Great standards . Great publicity for YSU and Youngstown. Even the students get it here. Some of you will bw slow to ctach on, but don't worry. As I said , this will be a comedy, probably of National stature, certainly of local lore. Still think attendance is going to increase and stay there  ? Oh, and  of course, that coach from that great natio0nal power Nebraska is here. What could go wrong ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paladin you bring up some good points..I often thought winning helped ease feelings of controversial hiring's in a program. In this case I don't even think that will help. On a National scale the backlash is already present and that doesn't even include the official hiring of carl..I want the Y.S.U. football program to succeed in the worst way..and I have tons of respect for HOW they have been able to BUILD their tradition over the years .I just want the best for the players and the university nothing more nothing less..I'm sorry if I offend any board members on this topic..I'm just very concerned on the direction this could be headed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:43:05 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paladin you bring up some good points..I often thought winning helped ease feelings of controversial hiring's in a program. In this case I don't even think that will help. On a National scale the backlash is already present and that doesn't even include the official hiring of carl..I want the Y.S.U. football program to succeed in the worst way..and I have tons of respect for HOW they have been able to BUILD their tradition over the years .I just want the best for the players and the university nothing more nothing less..I'm sorry if I offend any board members on this topic..I'm just very concerned on the direction this could be headed

??? How did YSU  BUILD their tradition over the years?? Micky Mounds..  :o Come on Pally.. ooppss Fever your talking out both sides of your mouth. "IF" people like you don't make this an issue there will be no issue.