Author Topic: Scalzo: YSU’s Slocum on cusp of milestone win  (Read 11619 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Scalzo: YSU’s Slocum on cusp of milestone win
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
Money does translate into better recruiting we are last in dollars spent every year. Valpo spent 2m in 2013 and they are a consistent winner.  To hope and wish you can get a Kevin Mackey type coach is never happening. Upgrade the spending and then in 8 to 10 years we should be a better than average team .  Or move out of this conference and compete in a league that spends the same amount of dollars. The Horizon had diminished since Butler left anyways.

UWGB spends $1,399,814/year on MBB.  Currently, they are 23-7/12-4, and seeded second in the HL tournament.     

YSU spends $1,323,788/year on MBB.  That is 94.6% of what UWGB spends.  Currently, YSU is 2-14/11-20 (despite a cupcake OOC schedule) and seeded last in the HL tournament.

Can we please dispense with the budget excuses?  The reality is an inferior AD who gave a lengthy contract renewal to a D2 HC who is way over his head in D1.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 06:12:39 PM »
Money does translate into better recruiting we are last in dollars spent every year. Valpo spent 2m in 2013 and they are a consistent winner.  To hope and wish you can get a Kevin Mackey type coach is never happening. Upgrade the spending and then in 8 to 10 years we should be a better than average team .  Or move out of this conference and compete in a league that spends the same amount of dollars. The Horizon had diminished since Butler left anyways.

UWGB spends $1,399,814/year on MBB.  Currently, they are 23-7/12-4, and seeded second in the HL tournament.     

YSU spends $1,323,788/year on MBB.  That is 94.6% of what UWGB spends.  Currently, YSU is 2-14/11-20 (despite a cupcake OOC schedule) and seeded last in the HL tournament.

Can we please dispense with the budget excuses?  The reality is an inferior AD who gave a lengthy contract renewal to a D2 HC who is way over his head in D1.

Money helps, but is not the only variable.  We are getting a horrible ROI for $$ spent.  For example, we are not getting 94.6% of the results UWGB is.

If we truly cannot compete in the HL, then I agree that a conference in our price range makes sense.  But  I'd like to try another HC first.  Tressel was at YSU before going to OSU.  Same for Bolden, who I suspect will leave OU in a few years and upgrade further.   
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »
I have no idea why they keep JS but I will support the team while he is here.

In general for the three money maker sports, I think that our approach needs to be to find an assistant that is on his/her way up the ladder and is willing to work for our money while he/she builds their resume. Enjoy the success while they are here and wish them the best as they move to a job in the big time.   
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
If Slocum were to retire, why not promote Wernicki? He earned it.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 12:20:33 PM »
Jerry and the AD have them right where they want them for next year.... Victory #700 against Westminster.... How sweet it is..........

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 12:40:07 PM »
Jerry and the AD have them right where they want them for next year.... Victory #700 against Westminster.... How sweet it is..........

With all 1,000 people in attendance.....