Author Topic: Fletcher Larson?  (Read 12345 times)

jimmiejames

Fletcher Larson?
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »
Fletcher Larson is no longer on the roster. Anyone know what happened?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fletcher Larson?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
Probably got sick and tired of losing so much.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:14:53 AM »
Sick of Slocum

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »
The meltdown continues...... from the Vindy:

"LARSON LEAVES

Senior forward Fletcher Larson is no longer with the YSU men’s basketball program. The 6-foot-8 Larson — a native of Lakewood, N.Y. — was removed from the Penguins’ roster and YSU’s official athletics website.

Larson had played in all 26 games — including two starts — prior to Wednesday night. He averaged 2.2 points and 1.6 rebounds. He averaged 11.8 minutes per game.

Slocum called Larson’s departure “a coach’s decision.” "

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/feb/12/foiled-again/#sthash.rygApLhi.dpuf

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
Get this bum out of here! My lord, how much more is this joke of an athletic department gonna take?

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:26:33 PM »

it is one thing to think in your opinion, that Coach is not a good Coach, but...to call him a "bum" is very IGNORANT.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:15 AM »

it is one thing to think in your opinion, that Coach is not a good Coach, but...to call him a "bum" is very IGNORANT.
Agreed. No "bum" would have 698 wins across all levels of college basketball.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 07:38:55 AM »
I heard that this guy (Slocum) has taken teams to some tournaments
I don't know the facts because I don't care about basketball.   However, consider that this guy (Slocum) has the lowest budget and really doesn't have a decent facility to help him in recruiting.  I've never liked our gym and still don't.   It is an antique with pull out bleachers.   The nicest thing is the physical court its self.  The guy has huge challenges in recruiting because of those two factors. 

Until the money amd facility issues are addressed nothing will change.   It will continue to slide every year a little worse (until our place looks like the Illinois state field house) you realize that you are visiting an antique court and then it will get through everyone's head the the damn place needs to be bulldozed.  As I said before.  Drop stupid basketball and send the money into football. The basketball court would make a nice tailgate lot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:13:08 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
Running a clean program is a base expectation.  It is much like me telling my boss that I deserve a high five for showing up for work sober.

As was posted on the Fire Slocum thread, YSU spends >$1.3 M annually on MBB.  UWGB spends just under $1.4M.  In other words, UWGB spends ~6% more than us on MBB, and is 9-2 and tied for the lead in the HL.

Can we please dispense with the budget excuses?

I am fine with dropping to a lesser conference, or lower division.  I am fine with folding the MBB program and putting the >$1.3M toward FB or academics.  If you put it toward academics, it would likely immediately resolve the YSU faculty contract dispute.

I am NOT fine with the absurd misuse of University resources that is the current MBB program.  Either fix it or fold it.  Why is that concept so difficult for the inept AD to understand?

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
I am not sure UWGB is a good example to use; then maybe it is as they are normally no better than we are. Like us, MBB is not their primary sport.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
It's just time for a change. This program is growing dormant by the day.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
Budget is not an excuse for MBB. Just look at any other team at YSU, even football. (Yes, FB is not where we want it to be, but then 8-4 is nothing to sneeze at.) There's plenty of potential coaches who would see YSU as a promotion from their current positions, and some of them are no doubt quite decent.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:14 PM »
If budget was a direct reflection of success we would have never beat PITT in football.  YSU WBB wouldnt have beat PITT a few years ago and the story goes on and on.  Two .500 seasons riddled with early Div 3 teams isnt a successful season unless your at YSU.  You can hide and survive when there are ZERO expectations...

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
Using this budget ee isjust a poor excuse.  What if we get a new coach and he succeeds with the same budget then what would you "budget users" say then.   Give me a break  Budget? Really?  Can't we all admit Slocum is not a D1 coach.   

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »
Its obvious that the staff that is in-place cant get what is the norm of today (More with less)... However, we get excuse after excuse that "this team cant win if they do this or that"....  Have you ever heard of getting the best out of your players?  Have you ever seen this staff take a marginal player and make him better?  He has had plenty of opportunites as he has had roster after roster of marginal players for this level......