Author Topic: Ohio State RB Bri'onte Dunn May Transfer to YSU  (Read 32106 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio State RB Bri'onte Dunn May Transfer to YSU
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
Funny how each of us sees things differently.  Actually I see one of Ruiz's strengths is not fumbling.  He lost 2 fumbles last season on 265 carries or .7%  To compare; Jody Webb lost fumbles on fully 3% of his carries. 
Still wish we had recruited a bigger RB.  Watched the HUDL video on the Erie recruit Bryce Boyd

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3969399/bryce-boyd

This was so familiar I went back and watched Ruiz’s senior video.  Frankly change the names and you’d never know the difference.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1045254/highlights
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
I completely agree on the need for a power run game and think Dunn could be the answer. Then again, he is not going to transfer to be only a short-yardage back. He has to assume a spot in Montgomery's offensive plan. I too am very happy with Ruiz and Webb. Too bad we lost Hymes ...he had a very smart running style that was great for short-yardage situations.

I think Webb is going to continue being what he is. His success is predicated on Ruiz. It is like changing pitchers in baseball, with a new pitcher having a different set of pitches than the starter. Like the relief pitcher, Webb really catches defenses off guard.

We can over-use Ruiz at times. This is where Dunn becomes huge for us (and any possible NFL career he may have).

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »
Ruiz has a nice combination of power and speed. Dunn is a straight give the ball up the middle type of back. Webb has the issues holding onto the ball, but get him in space and it's over. I do like Ryan Moore as a power back. That kid is strong and showed nice flashes last year when the opportunity arose.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 05:18:04 PM »
I agree. Moore is under used as a power back. Kid is strong and packs a bang.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:14 AM »
I've been a big fan of Moore since his first spring game.  Don't know why he doesn't get more carries. Obviously 5-11 200 isn't the prototypical size for a "power back" but Ryan runs with much more of a power attitude than either Martin or Jody. 
You don't always notice the guys that do the little things on the field, but one of the players that we will miss more than we know is Nate Adams who played the blocking back on power run formations. Wonder who fills that roll?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
I agree. Moore is under used as a power back. Kid is strong and packs a bang.

I've been impressed with him too. He's a battler on kick teams and plays ferociously. Way more effective than what the measurements would have you think.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
Agree. Been on the Moore bandwagon since the first time I saw him carry the ball. I also recorded his interview last preseason; he really has a great attitude.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
Is there a reason why Moore was used mostly in the Illinois game and NDSU game?
I feel that he should have been utilized more in the 3rd down situations every game when we would call the Dive with Martin or Nate Adams. Especially with Ryan Moore averaging almost 6ypc.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 07:18:01 AM »
Nate was a very popular and influential player. His ability to run the ball was impressive for a TE. Things will be a bit different this year. Can anyone tell me where we are at in the academic semester?

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »
The semester started the second week of January and finals week is the first week of May.  Spring Break is the second week of March.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 09:36:34 AM »
Thanks GBS. So Dunn would have transferred for this semester. I suppose he could come in the summer.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
If he does transfer here it won't be until the end of the spring semester that ends in late May. Moore will more then likely come into summer camp at 210-215..If I were Dunn I wouldn't want to compete against Ryan for playing time that kid is a beast and can do so many good things coming out of the backfield

ValleyTalk

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »
Meant to post this last week but just thought of it now. Here was an update on Bucknuts:

"**Don’t Put A Fork In Dunn? … A source close to Bri’onte Dunn’s family – the same one that told us earlier this year that Dunn was considering a transfer to Youngstown State – is back with more information.

“I told you there was a decent chance he would stay at OSU, but that I thought there was a better chance he would be at YSU this fall,” the source said. “I need to back off that statement. Trust me, it’s still a strong possibility, but the fact of the matter is Bri’onte is happy at OSU. He just has a lot of people in his ear telling him it’s now or never if he actually wants to play. Those ‘third uncles’ as Urban (Meyer) likes to call them.

“But what they say makes sense because let’s be real, (Dunn) isn’t even competing for a spot on the two-deep. Obviously Zeke (Elliott) is the starter and Curtis Samuel is the backup. That is not changing. So, it’s a battle between Dunn and Warren Ball for third-string. And then Mike Weber gets there in June.
“OSU’s staff wants (Dunn) to stay. They are telling him depth can disappear quickly at the RB spot and they like what he can do on special teams. He played a lot on special teams this past season.

“I don’t know, there’s still a chance he will leave after spring semester, but I wanted to tell you I was probably overstating it when I said there was a better chance he’d be in Youngstown than Columbus this fall. It could go either way, but right now I would lean on him coming back.

“And I don’t think Warren Ball is going anywhere either. He even reached out to Mike Weber during that whole Stan Drayton ordeal and showed some good leadership and commitment to the program. Why would he do that if he was planning on leaving OSU? Plus, he’s a Columbus kid anyway. Dunn is the one who might leave, but again, I think he wants to stay. It’s just people around him urging him now is the time to leave if he wants to actually get playing time as a running back.”"

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
I won't lose any sleep if he doesn't show up here.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2015, 09:49:34 PM »
I won't lose any sleep if he doesn't show up here.

He may have realized he'd be third on the depth chart here too.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen