Author Topic: Renewing rivalries with Akron and Kent State  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Renewing rivalries with Akron and Kent State
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
A few quotes from a recent Scalzo piece:

Regarding renewing rivalries with Akron and Kent State:

"Tressel would like to see Youngstown State schedule more games against Akron and Kent, but he doesn’t think the Penguins need to be in the Mid-American Conference to do so. "

" “We have new presidents at Akron and Kent and we’ve gotten to be pretty close from the standpoint of being the new ones in the room at the state meetings and having some of the same learning curve,” Tressel said. “We’ve had just preliminary off-the-cuff discussions that that would really be a good thing for all of us if we played one another more often and created those natural rivalries."

" “In terms of the Mid-American thing, we did apply for the Mid-American back in the 1990s and they wanted to geographically branch out. What will happen in the next five-10 years in terms of conference affiliation, I think will be very interesting.” "

Regarding the Athletic Budget:

“We have a chance to raise our [athletic] revenue by selling more tickets, raising more money, more sponsorships corporate-wise and so forth, but as far as directly from the institution to the athletic department, you will not see an increase because there’s not increases available for anyone at this time.

“The only way we’re going move up more is to generate more and that’s just the reality of it. The same thing is being said to schools way larger than us.”

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jan/20/tressel-pleased-by-downtowns-resurgence/

I am stoked that there is a realization of the value of playing a robust OOC schedule with opponents that will energize the Penguin fanbase.  As I noted in another post, if we win, we can establish ourselves as the dominant NE Ohio program and lure all local non-P5 recruits here.  If we lose, we collect our check and are in the exact same recruiting situation we were in before.  These are winnable games (especially Kent) as the MAC is inferior to our MVFC opponents.

Also, Tressel alludes to the fate of the G5, which will likely suffer from enhanced scholarships that the P5 will likely begin to offer.  This will play into YSU's favor.

Regarding the budget, the renewing of Heacock's contract was devastating to Athletic Department revenue.  A strong argument could be made that he never should have completed his first contract.  The meltdown in MBB adds further to this loss of revenue.  These words from President Tressel gives me hope that he "gets it" on a number of important areas regarding YSU athletics.  Hopefully he and the BOT will get a competent AD that does not sabotage the revenue generation of YSU athletics, and create an OOC schedule that increases interest in our program.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Renewing rivalries with Akron and Kent State
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »
$615K to play a team 45 minutes away for two seasons in a game that would create local interest.  It kills me to see Howard and Kennesaw accept offers that we should have.

"Kent State will play Howard, an FCS program they’ve never faced, in consecutive seasons. The Golden Flashes are set to host the Bison at Dix Stadium in Kent, Ohio on Sept. 9, 2017 and Sept. 8, 2018.

Howard will receive a $290,000 guarantee for each game played against Kent State."

"Kent State has also added a pair of games against another FCS opponent. The Golden Flashes will host the Kennesaw State Owls at Dix Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2019 and again on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020, both season-openers.

The Owls will receive guarantees of $300,000 for the 2019 game and $315,000 for the 2020 game."

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/kent-state-alabama-fcs-schools-future-schedules/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:53:22 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »
 Good post , PN, but heres the problem -- YSU  is still a commuter school and will always be looked down on when compared to traditional colleges. Many an area athlete chooses a long time losing program like Kent over YSU even when YSU is winning. Akron, while a commuter school also is viewed as "being away from home" which YSU isn't. And I suspect Tressel sees the same thing I do -- the Power 5 conerences will leave the others in the dust  taking the luster off many D-I schools. Yet, YSU has hired a HC that is not known for strong recruiting abilities. They just fired one that did. While other schools take advantage of recruiting, I don't see YSU gaining.

I predicted the decline in attendance when Heacock was here and it proved to be true. But I also predicted the losing seasons and  everyone thought I was nuts. Those proved to be true too and killed attendance as much as anything. However, the same AD is here and nothing is going to change much while he is here. MBB is a joke and  they haven't had a good coach since Rice. WBB was a joke under two hires by the AD.

Have no problem playing Kent or Akron but this is true -- while the MVFC is tougher than the MAC, YSU isn't. And while Kent & Akron suck, it would be a an even game with YSU. Would lose as many as they win and wouldn't prove much . Might increase interest but unless played at home , no help with game attendance here.  I see recruiting here getting much more difficult and thus YSU may lose it ability to compete with both. The paychecks would help, but until the AD is willing to travel to Kent or Akron, don't see this happening.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:40:25 PM by paladin »

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
All I know is, if a kid was recruited by Bo, whether he went to Nebraska or not, and is buried on a depth chart somewhere, why wouldnt he want to come here? Other than stadium size I would be willing to bet our facilities (behind the scenes stuff..locker rooms...film room..Watts Center..) are as good or better than any FCS school in the country...add that to the fact that if Bo really wanted a kid how impactful would it be when he and Tressel paid a home visit? Dont forget that all kids that are recruited to bigger schools want to play and if they arent then why wouldnt they find a place that they will? I think some folks are selling Bo's ability to recruit a little short...Wolford wasnt a recognizable figure at all..Pelini? I think you know that answer. There is no reason why we cant play and beat Akron or Kent...in fact thats why they stopped playing us in the first place

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »
We stopped playing Akron in football for very obvious and public reasons if you were around back then. We picked up Kent primarily as their replacement; although we had played them before.

If we agree to play either school without a return, I have a serious issue. Once agreed upon, the YSU game must be first. Also, reality check ...we would be .500 against Kent and below .500 against Akron. Big-6 money games need to be played as long as we can get them. Play Pitt every single year for all I care. Never an expectation to win and always a good pay check. Lose to Kent ..when it come time for the play-off selection committee, we will be replaced by a school that had a solid showing against a bigger school. Until we are a play-off regular ...the MAC is out.

Start knocking on Iowa State's door ...let's use our connection to displace UNI.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:59:32 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 05:54:32 PM »
We stopped playing Akron in football for very obvious and public reasons if you were around back then. We picked up Kent primarily as their replacement; although we had played them before.

If we agree to play either school without a return, I have a serious issue. Once agreed upon, the YSU game must be first. Also, reality check ...we would be .500 against Kent and below .500 against Akron. Big-6 money games need to be played as long as we can get them. Play Pitt every single year for all I care. Never an expectation to win and always a good pay check. Lose to Kent ...you will be replaced by a school that had a solid showing against a bigger school. Until we are a play-off regular ...the MAC is out.

Start knocking on Iowa State's door ...let's use our connection to displace UNI.

You are spot on!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:18:46 PM »
heard on the radio today that kent is doing a financial study on what sports to drop including possibly pulling a UAB

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
Heard the same thing, I would not be shocked if football was cut or dropped to NS. I do not know what the mac may or may not have to say about which sports are cut
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:45:51 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Spiderlegs

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
The big shakeup of D-I sports is just beginning. Note the comment on FCS. Some people want YSU in the FBS, but this is why we must be patient. There's a possibility that some schools in FBS could move down. Too early to tell.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/kent-state-university-hires-consultant-to-assess-athletics-program-1.559799