Author Topic: Football in Ohio vs. N. Dakota  (Read 5748 times)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Football in Ohio vs. N. Dakota
« on: January 14, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
shocking to see YSU cheer against NDSU...... lol.

it was a great game, I personally was disappointed in the way NDSU's defense played and the conservatism of the offense (b4 halftime & in their 2nd to last drive when they were leading and did 3 straight runs)

However, NDSU is a culture of winning, its bred into these players, the night before 6 current NFL players for NDSU showed up to and 15 ex NFL alumni showed up to practice and talked to the players about winning a title.  it was pretty dam cool and I dont ever see FBS teams doing that.

its a Family. Tradition. Winning.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football in Ohio vs. N. Dakota
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
It's a different culture here in Ohio where we have more than 10 D-1 schools.High School fb and the Buckeyes seem to be more important than YSU football.Props to NDSU for their winning program--no disrespect intended here Lakes but its an entirely different focus here in this part of the country.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:22:57 PM »
Good point David, Lake: you were a DII program just a few short years ago. Now you are I-AA/FCS and the"Kings of your state" (same with SDSU). Your only competition is UND and USD.

Ohio? Did you know that we are the only state to have national champions in all-4 NCAA football divisions? I, I-AA, II and III (Ohio State, YSU, Wooster, Dayton and Mount Union). In fact, If you include the non-scholarship I-AA schools, Dayton has won 4 titles in addition to their prior DIII titles). I might add that Ohio Northern was a multi-time NAIA national champ before they recently went NCAA D-III. This is simply a football state. The following are DI schools in Ohio:

-University of Akron Mid-American Conference (BB and FB)
-Bowling Green State University Mid-American Conference (BB and FB)
-University of Cincinnati American Athletic Conference (BB and FB)
-Cleveland State University Horizon League (no football)
-University of Dayton Atlantic 10 Conference (BB), Pioneer Football League (FB)
-Kent State University Mid-American Conference (BB and FB)
-Miami University Mid-American Conference (BB and FB)
-Ohio University Mid-American Conference (BB and FB)
-Ohio State University Big Ten Conference (BB and FB)
-University of Toledo Mid-American Conference (BB and FB)
-Wright State University Horizon League (no football)
-Xavier University Big East Conference (BB and FB)
-Youngstown State University Horizon League (BB) - Missouri Valley Football Conference (FB)

If you take look at all of these schools, we are at the bottom for federal/state revenues, where you are the largest school, making you at the top for revenues in N. Dakota. Clearly Ohio is a much larger state and has more revenue, but how much do you think trickles down to us? Heck OSU alone gets 80% of it. Even the two non-football schools have bigger basketball programs (with more dollars coming in) than YSU does.

Let's look at recruiting a typical DI football player from Upper Arlington High School (in central Ohio where I live). All of these schools are less than 3-hours away. How many DI schools are within 3-hours of NDSU? I think zero is the correct answer. The point being your DI athletes can now stay home; something they could not do before and the main reason your university moved up. Granted, N. Dakota's top athletes will still go to the larger programs; but in a typical city that is only a very few boys; compared to all of these athletes leaving the state when UND and NDSU were D-II. YSU is at the bottom of that pecking order. As to football. I might add that Kent State and Akron are lower-level FBS schools that recruit the same talent (or better) YSU does and are only 20-30 minutes away. So just how many recruiting battles do you think we win over FBS schools? This is why we have to recruit out of the state so heavily. This is why we all hope the name Pelini will distinguish us to some of these recruits in the future.

Also, we are not cheering against NDSU, we are cheering against that 4th title ...something that distinguished us from anyone else in the mind of an FCS recruit. Also, we get tired of hearing that the MVFC is all NDSU and the rest. Schools like ISU, SDSU and UNI are just as good or better. Hopefully we will be be back in that category as well.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:07:39 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
YSU is at the bottom of that pecking order. As to football. I might add that Kent State and Akron are lower-level FBS schools that recruit the same talent (or better) YSU does and are only 20-30 minutes away. So just how many recruiting battles do you think we win? This is why we have to recruit out of the state so heavily.

Yes.  And that is why we need to get Akron and Kent State on the OOC schedule, and whoop em...which I am confident we will do.  If we lose (God forbid we lose to these slobs), then we get paid well, and still are in the same recruiting disadvantage we were in all along.  These are the opponents the fans want.  Sometimes its good to feed your fanbase some red meat.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:03:03 AM »
I would not agree unless we move up  division. There is no advantage to playing them now. The MAC is a vastly-improved conference and the conference still has no respect from the FCS fan-base. The expectation would always be a win, when the reality would not be so. We need to keep playing Big-6 conference teams as long as possible. The expectation will always be a loss. Once we establish ourselves as a I-AA /FCS power, then we might be able to play MAC schools. Right now, the selection committee will simply choose a Southland or Big Sky team that played a Big-12 or Pac-10 team.

In short, our focus has to be to make the play-off before anything else.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
Playing Akron and Kent would be much better than our current OOC teams.  They should bring more fan interest and revenue.  I just doubt that there is a chance of that happening.

In short, our focus has to be to make the play-off before anything else.

AGREE  Take care of what we can control !

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
Thread is getting off topic but that is cool since I do not care about the game, I even forgot that it was on. Anyway our fans want us to beat Kent and the zits not just play them. At this point I think that the games would be a tossup, when we get a defense it will be Go Time.

Also I like the idea of playing a money game against a real 1-A school and then a second 1A game against an OH mac school.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Lets_Talk

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
I think 2 FBS games in a year where 12 games are allowed could be done. I know what Ron Strollo said about the revenue generated by home games. At the same time, it appears MAC schools pay about the same or slightly lower than the amount Ron said YSU earns from a home game. So, at least to me, it comes out as a wash money wise.

UNI and Indy State both played 2 FBS games this past season, plus the MFVC schedule and made the playoffs.
EKU also played 2 FBS teams and made the playoffs. I know the OVC is a weaker league top-to-bottom than the OVC, but the win over Miami(OH) likely helped EKU in the eyes of the playoff committee. Definitely made their 9-3 more impressive than if that 9th win was a team from the NEC or Pioneer instead of a team from FBS.

YSU could then play 2 teams from the NEC/Pioneer. I think playing Robert Morris, Duquesne, Dayton makes sense, due to geography, and they provide decent competition when having a good team. Especially WRMU and Duquesne now that they are giving a limited number of scholarships, and each school is in Pittsburgh.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
This assumption of this thread that the two states might even be close is laughable. However, it is a chance to highlight the key difference between NDSU and YSU.  NDSU is the flagship football program for the state of North Dakota--it's the big fish in a little pond.  If I'm a kid in North Dakota dreaming of college gridiron glory before the hometown folks, I go to NDSU.  There aren't many kids who grow up dreaming to play for YSU, unless their folks went here or they come regularly to attend games here. In Ohio, YSU is the bottom of the pecking order of a long list of D-I schools already mentioned.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
I can speak with some authority on Xavier FB as I'm a grad . Xavier gave up FB many decades ago. Just Basketball now and its very decent. When FB was around, they were pretty good.

As for the chat about N. Dakota and Ohio, there    is no  comparasion. At least the high schools  here play 11 man football. ND, not so much,  ;D  Also, if Ohio colleges had to recruit just this state, they would still be in business in FB. In ND, you would have to shut it down and stay with hockey instead.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 02:10:19 AM »
NDSU is actually 50% Minnesota kids.     I didn't name this thread, must be a spinoff of a diff thread?

Sorry I just saw in your comments cheering against NDSU. But it's cool. Cya this fall