Author Topic: Urban Meyer conversation split-off from Tressel thread  (Read 23117 times)

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Urban Meyer conversation split-off from Tressel thread
« on: January 13, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »
It was great to see  President (Coach) Tressel at the NC last night. One thing that stands out for me of the difference between Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel is with 28 seconds left in the game on the two yard line Tressel would have had Jones take a knee and end the game at 35-20.  Bad move  Urban!  Jim Tressel is and always will be a Class Act.

Believe me, I am as far from an Urban Meyer fan as one can get. I see his hiring by OSU as nothing short of  traitorous. However, OSU started the drive with over 3-minutes on the clock and Oregon called all three of their timeouts. Not much choice.

I agree on Tressel's class though. It was he trying to run 6-minutes off the clock that used to drive me insane back in the 80's and 90's. He needed to score many times.

Traitorous? What?

Ohio State hiring an Ohio guy with championship credentials is traitorous?

Why? Because Florida beat OSU in the BCS title game in 2007?

Who would have been a better hire under the circumstances?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Meyer conversation split-off from Tressel thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
It was great to see  President (Coach) Tressel at the NC last night. One thing that stands out for me of the difference between Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel is with 28 seconds left in the game on the two yard line Tressel would have had Jones take a knee and end the game at 35-20.  Bad move  Urban!  Jim Tressel is and always will be a Class Act.

Believe me, I am as far from an Urban Meyer fan as one can get. I see his hiring by OSU as nothing short of  traitorous. However, OSU started the drive with over 3-minutes on the clock and Oregon called all three of their timeouts. Not much choice.

I agree on Tressel's class though. It was he trying to run 6-minutes off the clock that used to drive me insane back in the 80's and 90's. He needed to score many times.

Wow....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »

Traitorous? What?

Yes. Traitorous.
Yes.
More than that, but that ranks right up at the top of the list.
Anyone at all.

To sum up my feelings for Meyer and the hire. He can stay at OSU for the next 10-years, win 9 conference titles and 6 national championships and he will still be the best coach UofF ever had. He will NEVER be anything more. There is more to the game of football than salaries and win/loss. Besides I am a Guins fan & really have little concern for OSU. My daughter graduated from OSU and I bought her the student package for 5-years and I never went. I live 5-minutes from the shoe & drive past it every fall Saturday ...on the way to watch my team play.

I am a YSU fan. That is all. Every sport they play is my favorite team. My only team.

That is why the name of this site is not osubuckeyes.com          ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:24:53 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:44 PM »

Traitorous? What?

Yes. Traitorous.
Yes.
Anyone at all.

To sum up my feelings for Meyer and the hire. He can stay at OSU for the next 10-years, win 9 conference titles and 6 national championships and he will still be the best coach UofF ever had. He will NEVER be anything more. There is more to the game of football than salaries and win/loss. Besides I am a Guins fan & really have little concern for OSU. My daughter graduated from OSU and I bought her the student package for 5-years and I never went. I live 5-minutes from the shoe & drive past it every fall Saturday ...on the way to watch my team play.

I am a YSU fan. That is all. Every sport they play is my favorite team. My only team.

If you don't care at all about OSU, then it shouldn't bother you that they hired Urban Meyer.

Right?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 11:40:06 PM »

Traitorous? What?

Yes. Traitorous.
Yes.
Anyone at all.

Why? Because he is going to replace Jimmy T as a better coach at Ohio State? I don't get why so much hatred.... Take the YSU blinders off and appreciate greatness. The man can coach some football.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
As to not caring, well that is true to a point. However, I live and work in Columbus, so it is prudent to follow the Bucks for work conversations and such. Also, my daughter and son-in-law graduated from OSU. As to Meyer being a better coach that coach T ...IMO could never happen and will never happen. Maybe you are the one that is blind as your alphabet only contains the letters X, O, W, and L.

I do not expect you to understand why I feel as I do. To me football (or any sport) is more than a game ...much more. A season is more than a sum of games. I did make a mistake. I did always take my daughter to the spring game (when it was free or $5) and I did go to the YSU games in the Shoe. To better understand why I feel the way that I do, here are a couple of comments:

1) If you are into military history at all; then you will know that Irwin Rommel was perhaps the greatest field commander of the 20th-century. His successes in WWI and WWII were elite. He pushed the allies around. He became very disillusioned with his leaders by the 1940's. Now had Rommel decided to join the British in the fight ...would you put him in charge of the British army? NO ..,you are going to greatly respect him and study his tactics; with the goal of defeating him. This is what happened when the US entered WWII and General Patton was in-charge. I see Urban Meyer (while at UofF) as the enemy that defeated us. I expected coach Tressel to study coach Meyer's UofF team and learn how to defeat him. Eventually he got his win vs. Arkansas.

2. Another example. After Jim Tressel was hired at OSU, I became somewhat of an authority at the office. Everyone wanted to know how Tressel coached, what is he all about, etc. NOt that I am some football expert, or my company's savior; but suddenly, people realized that Youngstown was not a bunch of people crouching on sideboards with Thompson sub-machine guns.

When we were at a meeting just prior to the first YSU vs OSU game, I was asked if I actually expect YSU to win the game. Clearly OSU fans saw it as a chance to reward YSU and a warm-up for OSU. You know, we do the same thing with our "money games". My answer was "absolutely" ...and I meant it. You can call me a prude; but I expected Heacock and his staff to put a plan in place to beat OSU. If we lost ...we lost.

Look at last year. did you think we had a chance to beat NDSU? On paper, we might as well have been playing OSU, because NDSU was that much better than YSU. Well I expected to loose. Imagine, a person that expects his team to beat the defending national champions in IA/FBS, but lose to the defending champs of I-AA/FCS? This is when I realized that YSU football needed to change. We are taking a big risk with Pelini and I hope it pays off.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:14:20 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
As to not caring, well that is true to a point. However, I live and work in Columbus, so it is prudent to follow the Bucks for work conversations and such. Also, my daughter and son-in-law graduated from OSU. As to Meyer being a better coach that coach T ...IMO could never happen and will never happen. Maybe you are the one that is blind as your alphabet only contains the letters X, O, W, and L.

I do not expect you to understand why I feel as I do. To me football (or any sport) is more than a game ...much more. A season is more than a sum of games. I did make a mistake. I did always take my daughter to the spring game (when it was free or $5) and I did go to the YSU games in the Shoe. To better understand why I feel the way that I do, here are a couple of comments:

1) If you are into military history at all; then you will know that Irwin Rommel was perhaps the greatest field commander of the 20th-century. His successes in WWI and WWII were elite. He pushed the allies around. He became very disillusioned with his leaders by the 1940's. Now had Rommel decided to join the British in the fight ...would you put him in charge of the British army? NO ..,you are going to greatly respect him and study his tactics; with the goal of defeating him. This is what happened when the US entered WWII and General Patton was in-charge. I see Urban Meyer (while at UofF) as the enemy that defeated us. I expected coach Tressel to study coach Meyer's UofF team and learn how to defeat him. Eventually he got his win vs. Arkansas.

2. Another example. After Jim Tressel was hired at OSU, I became somewhat of an authority at the office. Everyone wanted to know how Tressel coached, what is he all about, etc. NOt that I am some football expert, or my company's savior; but suddenly, people realized that Youngstown was not a bunch of people crouching on sideboards with Thompson sub-machine guns.

When we were at a meeting just prior to the first YSU vs OSU game, I was asked if I actually expect YSU to win the game. Clearly OSU fans saw it as a chance to reward YSU and a warm-up for OSU. You know, we do the same thing with our "money games". My answer was "absolutely" ...and I meant it. You can call me a prude; but I expected Heacock and his staff to put a plan in place to beat OSU. If we lost ...we lost.

Look at last year. did you think we had a chance to beat NDSU? On paper, we might as well have been playing OSU, because NDSU was that much better than YSU. Well I expected to loose. Imagine, a person that expects his team to beat the defending national champions in IA/FBS, but lose to the defending champs of I-AA/FCS? This is when I realized that YSU football needed to change. We are taking a big risk with Pelini and I hope it pays off.

I think if not for the tattoo scandal or whatever you want to call it, Jim Tressel would have taken Ohio State in a similar direction to what Urban Meyer has in terms of how the team was built. He had already started to do that. Clearly, that Florida team was a very bad matchup for the Buckeyes. Even before the end of JT's run in Columbus, you could see the gap was closing between OSU and the supposedly faster teams. The Rose Bowl against Oregon showed that and the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas was another example of it.

JT and Urban are vastly different guys, but they're both winners. OSU was lucky to have JT for a decade and it is lucky to have Urban now.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »
I agree Ed. I just remember hearing the crying from Florida about how he (Meyer) did not want to do this, but his doctor told him he had to resign. Then suddenly (when they lost a couple key recruits) he is back. Then he says that he will stay through the end of the season. He went in so far as to infer it was a medical issue that would kill him if he did not stop coaching all together.

So what ever happened to this mysterious medical issue that he would take a job that is even more stressful than the one he left? Did it just clear up? I will tell you what is was ...a case of having the dirtiest program in the nation and posterior inner-rectal NCAA complications. Then you had ABC (ESPN/Disney), as they controlled the SEC back then, telling him to get out of town before the thing became inflamed.

Last week Mrs. Meyer actually began the process of disinformation on the illness and the dispatch willingly publishes it. She says that Urban had lost some of his key coaches, to better jobs of course, forcing him to take on too much responsibility. Well in reality we all know that the university could not bring anyone else in because once they saw what went on in the program, they would have left ...possibly leaking something.

My only satisfaction that most of the key players from the last three games (including Cordale) were Tressel recruits; but I am not on of those idiots that refuses to credit the current coach ...this is Meyer's team and Meyer's title. Just note that this year's Buckeye team is an anomaly; that is a team with the success components of the SEC/Florida/Meyer and Big-10/OSU/Tressel. For example: an unstoppable d-line with players that were rotated (from Tressel) and shut-down corners (from Meyer). If Meyer goes for more height and speed in the middle (like an SEC school), he will never succeed in the Big-10. If he does not keep speed and physical nature of his corners, he will never do well against read option clubs (SEC).

Same holds true on offense. Taller smarter QB's (Big-10) with arms vs. running QB's (SEC). JT Barret might not have beaten Oregon and he definitely would not have beaten Alabama. The issue for Meyer next year? Barrett is the better QB and Cordale already had his red-shirt.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:38:22 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 04:14:49 PM »
I agree. I think this team is a hybrid of sorts. It has the best aspects of a Tressel Ball team and an Urban-SEC team. And they're so young.

As for Barrett vs. Jones ... great problem to have. But like things often do, I think this will work itself out one way or another.

As far as Urban's health and why he left Florida, I can't offer much on that aside from what I've read. I saw something the other day that suggested some type of falling out with the AD down there. Who knows?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »
Urban is a better HC than Tressel. Not a knock on Tressel, just an aknowledgment of Urban Meyer's success as a coach.

Forgot Florida and OSU for a minute. At BG, his teams went 8-3 and 9-3. They were 5-0 against teams from BCS or what would become BCS Conferences.... BG had 6 losing seasons in a row prior to Meyer, including 2-9 the season before. They had lost 10 games in a row agains BCS Conference Teams.

Then he was at Utah for 2 years. 10-2 in 2003 and 12-0 in 2004... In 03, BG beat Southern Miss 17-0 in the Liberty Bowl...In the 04 season, Utah became the first school from a non BCS Conference to play in a BCS Bowl. They beat PITT 35-7 in the Fiesta Bowl ...

His teams have won 3 NC's at the FBS level... He has won NC's at 2 different FBS Schools. Only other coach to do that is Nick Saban... He became the first HC at OSU to beat an SEC team, and it was #1 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. OSU then beat #2 Oregon for the NC. They beat Wisconsin 53-0 in the BIG Title Game... A Wisconsin team that went on to beat Auburn in their bowl game... OSU won these 3 games using their 3rd string QB

OSU is 35-1 in the regular season with Meyer...24-0 in the BIG.... 38-3 overall

He also went head-to-head one time with Tressel. The result was a 41-14 win for Florida in the 2007 BCS Championship Game.

This years OSU team was left for dead after the loss to Virginia Tech. They improved in every aspect of the game as the season progressed. And, they have put to rest the notion that OSU has big, strong guys, but not enough team speed, quickness and lateral movement. Proved that by beating Bama, and then shutting down one of the best offenses in FBS. They were more physical than Bama and Oregon, and every bit as fast and quick as both teams.

Tressel is going in the Hall of Fame, and he is deserving of that honor. He was an outstanding HC, so in no way is this a knock on Tressel.

Offline Iceman

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
I agree Ed. I just remember hearing the crying from Florida about how he (Meyer) did not want to do this, but his doctor told him he had to resign. Then suddenly (when they lost a couple key recruits) he is back. Then he says that he will stay through the end of the season. He went in so far as to infer it was a medical issue that would kill him if he did not stop coaching all together.

So what ever happened to this mysterious medical issue that he would take a job that is even more stressful than the one he left? Did it just clear up? I will tell you what is was ...a case of having the dirtiest program in the nation and posterior inner-rectal NCAA complications. Then you had ABC (ESPN/Disney), as they controlled the SEC back then, telling him to get out of town before the thing became inflamed.

Last week Mrs. Meyer actually began the process of disinformation on the illness and the dispatch willingly publishes it. She says that Urban had lost some of his key coaches, to better jobs of course, forcing him to take on too much responsibility. Well in reality we all know that the university could not bring anyone else in because once they saw what went on in the program, they would have left ...possibly leaking something.

My only satisfaction that most of the key players from the last three games (including Cordale) were Tressel recruits; but I am not on of those idiots that refuses to credit the current coach ...this is Meyer's team and Meyer's title. Just note that this year's Buckeye team is an anomaly; that is a team with the success components of the SEC/Florida/Meyer and Big-10/OSU/Tressel. For example: an unstoppable d-line with players that were rotated (from Tressel) and shut-down corners (from Meyer). If Meyer goes for more height and speed in the middle (like an SEC school), he will never succeed in the Big-10. If he does not keep speed and physical nature of his corners, he will never do well against read option clubs (SEC).

Same holds true on offense. Taller smarter QB's (Big-10) with arms vs. running QB's (SEC). JT Barret might not have beaten Oregon and he definitely would not have beaten Alabama. The issue for Meyer next year? Barrett is the better QB and Cordale already had his red-shirt.

Thank you I-AA, Urban Cryer or Urban Liar, it's all the same with that tool. Besides half his Florida team being convicts & thugs,  Saban started kicking his a$$ so he made up a lame excuse of "health issues" to high tail it & run.  Another rumor was he was having an extra-marital affair with an office employee

As far as sweatervest, he's been lying & cheating since he rigged raffles in the 80's.  What a tragic hero how he was treated in the end.  Win at all costs was his motto.  Now he's a university prez.  It does pay to cheat & lie