Author Topic: Guins vs. UIC  (Read 20254 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins vs. UIC
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM »
116-186 in 9 years as coach....

I'm no math major, but that is well below mediocre.

TIME TO GO!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »
Keep in mind   Slocum gave the AD's son a  spot on the team  ( when he transferred UP from a weak & smaller program)     . Sure is one happy family in the athletic dept.

Name one institution that would not do the same. I am far from saying to remove Slocum ...I am just commenting on the game and concerns for the rest of the season.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
Why does this surprise anyone? YSU men's basketball has been horrible for 20 years

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »
116-186 in 9 years as coach....

I'm no math major, but that is well below mediocre.

TIME TO GO!

I think that the writing is on the wall, most if all other sports are headed in the right direction. Would think that MBB is next
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
  From what I hear, those in the athletic department who make the decisions think Slocum is doing a good job.  It is pathetic that a head coach 70-80 games under 500 over a considerable period of time is considered doing well.   Bottom line, we only care about football, I am not judging, stating the facts.

As for UIC, they are awful, that was a miserable loss.  I really don't see the value ad for Slocum to continue.  He looks miserable, really doesn't seem to be out in the community(at least Wolford was out and about and doing work for charity).

We are like the Indiana of Big 10 Football, everyones whipping boy.  Where a .500 record is looked at as WIN. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »
  From what I hear, those in the athletic department who make the decisions think Slocum is doing a good job.  It is pathetic that a head coach 70-80 games under 500 over a considerable period of time is considered doing well.   Bottom line, we only care about football, I am not judging, stating the facts.

As for UIC, they are awful, that was a miserable loss.  I really don't see the value ad for Slocum to continue.  He looks miserable, really doesn't seem to be out in the community(at least Wolford was out and about and doing work for charity).

We are like the Indiana of Big 10 Football, everyones whipping boy.  Where a .500 record is looked at as WIN.

There in lies the problem with YSU athletics.....

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »
  From what I hear, those in the athletic department who make the decisions think Slocum is doing a good job.

WTF ??? !!!!        WTF  ??? !!!             WTF   ???? !!!!                WTF ???? !!!!!                     WTF  ???

If true......the Athletic Department needs wholesale firings and recruitment of individuals with a functioning brain need to be a priority.

If Slocum is staying for the elusive 700th win....than that is an outrage.  He could go back to D2 for that.  The mediocrity (or failure....as mediocrity implies average) of the YSU MBB during the Strollo/Slocum reign has been very expensive to the community and University, as MBB is the #2 revenue generating sport at YSU.

Of course, the loss of revenue of the #1 sport at YSU during the Strollo era is another matter.......

Are Strollo and Slocum tenured?  Is that why they are free of accountability?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:45:17 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
All of you seem to understand that we do not have the money to go into the MAC, or other FBS conference. You also seemed to understand the priorities of the department ...that women's sports had to become much more of a priority ...and in order to do this, we needed facilities. So why do you not see where MBB is on that pecking order?

For example, government funds that could be obtained for WATTS would be much easier to get based on women's sports. Yet local support for such a large project would never come for anything that was not football-related. It is a fine-line.

There is a reason that women's programs are doing well & many men's are suffering. Are you willing to give up football for basketball? Not I. Not in a million years. Slocum as been doing well lately. However, the tail-end of last season was poor, as is the start of this year. We are not going to invest the funds into basketball ...why would we? As 1990 says, we are a football school. Do you guys realize that we used to try to recruit MBB with nothing more than a fancy high-school locker-room? The money to really upgrade facilities did not come until the funds from Butler's NCAA run came in.

I do believe our program is much better off now. Talent is up, facilities are better, coaching is deeper, etc. However, so is the rest of the conference ...schools like Butler (once), Valpo, UWM, UWGB, WSU ...non of which have a scholarship-based football program. Name a Horizon school that has a single sport that requires 63-scholarships?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:35:09 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
The only time a basketball court looks good is when it is covered with wrestling mats...BRING BACK WRESTLING!!!  ...what the hell...it can't do as bad as basketball!!! Western PA and Northeast Ohio (Cleveland) are hotbeds for wrestling!! 

GO GUINS

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
Wrestling could at least match the crowd of 50 that comes to watch basketball.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
The only time a basketball court looks good is when it is covered with wrestling mats...BRING BACK WRESTLING!!!  ...what the hell...it can't do as bad as basketball!!! Western PA and Northeast Ohio (Cleveland) are hotbeds for wrestling!! 

GO GUINS

Look how many wrestlers that Tressel (and especially Heacock) used to recruit. We could compete in the heavier classes without any additional scholarships :)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 03:49:49 AM »
I was watching a bit of Texas Southern - Southern University on ESPNU. The HC at Texas Southern is Mike Davis, former HC at Indiana University and UAB. Texas Southern plays in the SWAC, which is rated 33rd of 33 D1 conferences. Their budget for mens basketball is in the $950,000 range.

I find it hard to believe that Texas Southern is a more attractive job to a coach like Mike Davis, than coaching at YSU, in the HL. There are currently ZERO teams in the SWAC with winning records. Texas Southern is 2-0/5-10, tied for 1st and has the most win of any team in the conference.

Jayson Gee, a former assistant at YSU, plus assistant at OU, Charleston, St. Bonaventure and CSU(2006-13) is in his first year as HC at Longwood, which plays in the SoCon. They moved to D1 in 07. Gee was also the HC at D2 Charleston for 7 years, had an overall record of 160-53, won 20+ games in each of last 6 seasons, and advanced to NCAA Tournament 4 times. Not sure if he would have any interest in YSU, but kind of sad if Longwood is deemed a better job than YSU and coaching in the HL. SoCon is 25th of 33 D1 Conferences.

The HL is currently 14th of 33 conferences.

Money is an issue at YSU for men's basketball, but hearing that gets old. There is an easy solution. Get rid of 2 of the non D1 home games, and play 2 more "money games". Yes, the result will likely be 2 losses. But, YSU could net $150,000 or so, get an opportunity to play against a big name opponent, and quite possibly even have the game televised by ESPN, or more likely ESPNU, BIG Ten Network, SEC Network, PAC 12 Network, ACC Network,  FOX Sports 1,  CBS Sports.

The $150,000 figure is based on the article back in December in the Vindicator that said YSU got paid $85,000 by Texas A&M. I did a low estimate of $75,000 each for 2 more "money games".

Actually, I say scrap ALL of the non D1 home games, and play 4 "money games". Football plays 3 OOC games in an 11 game season, and 4 in a 12 game season. So, they are playing 33% or 25% of their OOC games in "money games", and then play in the top FCS Conference in the country.

Basketball played 15 OOC games. Playing 3 "money games" is 20% of the OOC schedule. Playing 4 would be 27%. The crowds for the non D1 games are about 500 people, if that. They do not help the team prepare for the HL season in any way. The wins do not count as far as the RPI, and essentially they are just games to pad the stats and the win column. $85,000 X 4 = $340,000 ..... $75,000 X 4 = $300,000 . That money could go a long way toward increasing the pay of the HC and at very least the top assistant. The games could be used as tools for recruiting. And, there is no shortage of schools in the Top 5-6 conferences looking to play a team like YSU.

Also, if not going to try and have the best program possible, then why even have men's basketball? The excuse of the 63 scholarships for football is one I do not buy. It comes down to having a QUALITY men's basketball program not being a high priority at YSU. Mediocre is fine. Again, I understand the money constraints, but there are ways to deal with that issue, and the simplest is 3 or 4 "money games" per year. And if the HC wants to still schedule a non D1 home game, then go for it. Although, teams are allowed 2 exhibition games or 2 closed scrimmages, or 1 of each. And, I do not care what other schools do. I used to try that with my parents, and it never worked. I would get if Kelli jumped off the roof, would you jump off the roof?" or my all time favorite "I'm not Joe's mom/dad, and I don't care what Joe's mom/dad let's him do". And, there were several others.

Pretty sure all of you heard these when growing up, may well hear them now from spouses and/or bosses or even your parents. And, if any of you are parents, teach, coach or are even aunt's/uncle's, you likely have or do use these lines.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 05:05:52 AM »
As for the 63 scholarships for football excuse, here is just one of the reasons I do not buy it.

Missouri State, Indiana State, Illinois State, UNI and SIU all are competitive in basketball. Not every year, but over the course of a decade, they each compete for MVC Titles and make trips to either the NCAA or NIT Tournaments. And, this includes making the NCAA Tournament as an AT-Large team.. Wichita State, Loyola, Evansville, Bradley and Drake do not have FCS scholarship football. Nor does former member Creighton, which left the MWC last year.

Trips to NCAA Tournament Since 2000:
*UNI - 10, 09, 06, 05, 04..... 2 of the 5 years, they were at-large selection... UNI is 12-2 right now(Only D1 games), with an RPI of 12 and ranked #23 in USA Today Coaches Poll

*SIU - 07,06,05,04,03,02 ... At-large bid 5 of the 6 years
*Indy State - 11,01,00 - At-large 1 of 3 years
*MSU - last appearance was 1999
*ISU - Last trip to NCAA Tournament was 1998

NIT Tournament since 2000:
*ISU - 12, 10, 09,08,01
*SIU - 08, 00
*MSU - 11,07,06,05
*Indy State - 14,13
*UNI - 12

Richmond, Rhode Island and UMASS are now the only schools in the A-10 with scholarship football. And, UMASS moved up to FBS a few years ago, so they give 85 football scholarships instead of 63. They are also one of the worst teams in FBS and play in the MAC. Yet, Richmond and UMASS especially fare quite well in a very strong basketball conference. 14 schools, and only 3 play scholarship football. Well, Duquesne gives essentially the D2 equivalent of scholarships for football, if that many.

Since 2000, Richmond has made the NCAA Tournament 3 times in basketball... 04,10 and 11.... NIT in 01,02,03
UMASS has made NCAA Tournament in 2014, and NIT in 00,07,08,12,13
Rhode Island has made NIT in 03,04,08,10 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
Some of you need to stop using BUDGET as an excuse.   That is getting old.   Bottom line is we can do better if we had another coach.  BUDGET doesn't fix being OUTCOACHED in almost every game.  BUDGET is not why we lost to pathetic Kennesaw St and UIC.  BUDGET is not why we crumble in every 2nd half.  BUDGET is not why we cannot shoot free throws.  YSU basketball is a joke and no accountability can be found.  It is mind boggling that the University puts up with losing seasons year after year after year.    Slocum's record here tell it all.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 08:53:56 AM »
Some of you need to stop using BUDGET as an excuse.   That is getting old.   Bottom line is we can do better if we had another coach.  BUDGET doesn't fix being OUTCOACHED in almost every game.  BUDGET is not why we lost to pathetic Kennesaw St and UIC.  BUDGET is not why we crumble in every 2nd half.  BUDGET is not why we cannot shoot free throws.  YSU basketball is a joke and no accountability can be found.  It is mind boggling that the University puts up with losing seasons year after year after year.    Slocum's record here tell it all.

Amen... Amazing what happens when you hire the right coach!! (Barnes with women's basketball)

I know men's basketball has always been bad, but if the women can turn the program around from a WINLESS SEASON!!!! Then surely Strollo can find a young, energetic coach like Barnes for the men's program. It needs a shot in the arm.