Author Topic: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 160144 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »
Now ? That implies a change.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »
London Fletcher wasnt tall enough or heavy enough either....james Laurenitas wasnt heavy enough coming out of high school...Sam Mills was too short to play middle linebacker...why is everyone over reacting to size...it doesnt take a genius or hours of film study to figure out if a kid is tough enough to play ball...I hate the Steelers but how the heck did Palomalu last as long as he did in the draft? How about Chris Spielman? Ill tell you how...cuz guys like Paladin though they were too small and too slow to play...lets judge these kids after they get get here not before

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
Most of Bo's recruits seem to be a bit undersized, maybe a step too slow but they sure like look solid football players to me. I'm excited!

Could not agree more. If they were a half-step faster, 2-4 inches taller ...they would not be here. Wolf was taking as many leftovers as Pelini will. Pelini has the name going for him. Remember, when we were winning championships, we had something that would sway a recruit away from Akron or Kent; since we no longer have this, the name "Pelini" is going to mean a great deal more to many recruits.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2015, 01:39:49 PM »
Now ? That implies a change.

The recruits that Pelini is getting =Heacock recruits?

The way I understand it is that Wolf brought good D1 athletes but couldn't coach them.  Bo is proven here maybe he can coach up what we already have.  The cupboard is not bare. 

However, the new recruits appear to be too small so I am asking if you think Bo's recruits are about equal to Heacock's...........in your opinion............or are Bo's closer to Wolford's recruits except slightly smaller.  I remember you saying that Heacock's recruits were not D1 athletes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:43:54 PM by penguinpower »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
Hold that thought. I assure we will be having a conversation about it in a few short years. ;D

In my opinion, Wolf brought in far better athletes than Heacock did. And too early to tell if Bo's are close to Wolf's since recruiting isn't over with yet. Yes, they are small. Yes some have limited abilities. So far, it looks like Bo's recruits are closer to Heacock's than Wolf's . But better than what Heacock dragged in.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:09:27 PM by paladin »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »
I think what were talking about here is group on group match-up problems. Could you imagine a group of 5"10 - 6"0 linebackers trying to find Ruiz and Webb behind are offensive line? It would be next to impossible..and it would also be hard to pickup a 6"5 quarterback in the passing lane when dropping back in coverage. Pelini to this point has recruited smart, tough and well coached players..That is very evident on film..the only problem is we play in a conference where size matters a great deal. Any other F.C.S. conference in the nation you can get away with it but not this one. Remember the teams we play beat  up on F.B.S and B.C.S programs on a regular basis..there is a reason why !!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
Yep, Fever, they aren't short with high FB IQs,.....  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »
all I know is that offense under Wolf was never our problem...and most of our returning talent is on that side of the ball along with our coordinator. Bo will coach up our defense instead of the revolving door of coordinators we've had the past 5 years. barring major injuries, I see no reason why we cannot make the playoffs. We dont have to depend on incoming talent this year except for Moss, hence no JC kids that I see. I believe the most critical incoming talent must be in the kicking game...I hope we dont miss Cejudo as much as I think we might. Consider this also...Bo might take a kid that he knows might never make the 2 deep depth chart just to make inroads at a particular school. St Ignatius for example...he can afford to do that because our returning talent is pretty darn good

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
I see we have the following recruits:

James Wilson
Zak Kennedy
Gavin Wiggins
Malik Leonard
Ryan Emans
Curtis Parks
Darius Shackleford
Lamont Ragland
Adam Wollet
Avery Larken
Armand Dellovade
DeAangelo Malone
Kyle Hegedus
Casimier Mitchell

WELCOME to YSU!!

Did I miss any? How many do we have remaining to recruit? 

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:01 PM »
Joey Davidson 6"5 230 TE from North Royalton has just committed to the penguins. From what I can see looks like a pretty solid player. Has a nice release off the line and does a good job finding soft spots in coverage. His run blocking is weak..looks like we have a Northern Ohio connection going on here
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:58:36 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
Hold that thought. I assure we will be having a conversation about it in a few short years. ;D

In my opinion, Wolf brought in far better athletes than Heacock did. And too early to tell if Bo's are close to Wolf's since recruiting isn't over with yet. Yes, they are small. Yes some have limited abilities. So far, it looks like Bo's recruits are closer to Heacock's than Wolf's . But better than what Heacock dragged in.

I'll take a smaller player who can tackle over a bigger one who can't any day.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »
Davidson has very good hands and should be a good receiver. However, despite his size , he does not appear to be very strong. Run blocking is weak. Needs to be put on a weight program and probably redshirt. He was also taken down too easily by smaller players after the catch. On the down side , YSU hasn't thrown  much to the TE and we have some here already with good hands but  little production.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2015, 11:43:24 PM »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:44:25 PM by penguinpower »

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2015, 12:53:27 AM »
Zak Kennedy is an early admit to YSU for the spring semester and will be available for spring practices

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2015, 02:50:46 AM »
I hope they get my cousin.   He is a stud.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jan/26/springfields-schuler-nabs-giampetro-awar/?newswatch
He is a very good player on each side of the football. Relentless with a high motor..very good run blocker and a great set of hands