Author Topic: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 160222 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »
If Bo's answer is to recruit the Valley, then YSU is doomed to losing seasons. Take that to the bank.

I cannot find that smiley with a gun to it's head. What you say is true, if you read it literally. You infer that is his ONLY solution. Obviously we cannot find enough local talent to field a great team. You know as well as I do how attached the Valley is to HS ball.  Clearly increasing local talent on the team (in the words of Martha Stewart) is a good thing. Hiring Pelini is also a good thing. All of these little items add up to increased attention, excitement and hopefully attendance.

It will be Pelini and his staff that make it happen "on the field". Do you think there is much out there, that we as fans know, that a coach, AD, or president that is former coach/AD does not? At this point, the only thing that you can "take to the bank" are the receipts from a first-home game sell-out. After that, the team will bring the fans back for more.

Can you not just say something similar to the fact that YSU does not get top talent locally and will obviously still need to recruit nationally? This is why you draw such criticism from people on the board Paladin. It is the way you package your message

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 05:25:50 PM »
Keep in mind, we are still pretty young at most positions. The last 2 solid recruiting classes by Wolf are going to see more playing time and those kids have some serious potential especially on the defensive side of the ball. This class isn't going to make or break the program by any means....
I will agree that this year's class won't make or break the program and thankfully it's small. When I see a linebacker back out of his only offer from a Northeast conference school and commit to the penguins I find that concerning. When I see player's committing here without  any other offers including a Division 2 offer I find that concerning. When i see players picking up their first offer from us two weeks out from National signing day that concerns me as well. I really don't care how close we are in proximity to any other mac school or any other F.C.S. conference within a 500 mile radius. We are part of the best conference in the nation that is ranked ahead of several F.B.S. conferences and we need to start recruiting that way. The majority of the recruits we bring in here should have at least a minimum of 5 F.C.S. offers. BO AND THE STAFF HE DOES HAVE ARE IN DESPERATION MODE AND IT SHOWS
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:17:52 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »
Increasing "local" talent here is NOT a good thing unless they are B1G caliber players and we are not getting those. Even the MAC players of recent years have not been very good and don't pan out well in the MVFC. There was a Mooney safety that got picked on quite often over these past few years. YSU desparately  needs national players, especially from Fla., Calif., and other Southern states and fewer from the Valley. This class looks awful so far. Another back to back poor recruiting class will bring Paladin to predicting losing seasons. That's how I first made the first predictions years ago of back to back losing seasons when everyone thought all was well and I was nuts.

BTW, in Wolf first few months here , he recruited , ALMOST alone, and brought in a top class. Pelini never carried a "recruiting" reputation and its showing.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Paladin is right. Pelini couldn't draw anybody to Nebraska. The Cornhuskers were a D-II team at best. ;)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »
Paladin has just nailed it and nothing else really needs said !! Wolf had watched the likes of N.D.S.U. beat up on the B.C.S. programs and he made up his mind that he had to recruit B.C.S. caliber athletes that B.C.S.school's  thought weren't quite good enough in order to compete for a conference championship. If it took going national that's what he did. Times have changed if you get a local kid that is borderline F.B.S-F.C.S. they want to get away from home for a little breathing room and the hometown aspect is irrelevant. Case and point the local lineman who choose Lehigh. And as far as your local 3 and 4 star recruits you can forget about that

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:12 PM »
Mabin is the only decent looking recruit so far and then you look at Leonard and just shake your head. Its mind boggling. How was an offer even extended to him ? D-I ? Please !!

I don't see or hear much in recruiting circles about YSU football. NLOID fast approaching.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 11:24:47 PM »
Like I said... The talent is here. Young talent on defense that redshirted last year especially in the secondary. Time for Bo to develop it and let it shine.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 11:36:22 PM »
YSU has offered the following:

LaMont Ragland: 6-1, 270 DT from Trotwood-Madison

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4719301/lamont-ragland

Adam Wollet: 6-1, 225 LB from Poland: School's all time leading tackler.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1764749/adam-wollet

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
Last year's class only had 2 guys from the Valley. That punter from Fitch that went to our camp & an O-lineman (would make a better TE or d-lineman) from Neshanock. In 2013, Wolf recruited another pair ...McFadden and Morosa. In 2012, he recruited just 1. That is a total of 5 kids recruited from the Valley in 3-years. That is an issue ...and it is not with the talent being recruited. So stop complaining, if Pelini were to recruit this entire class from the Valley, it could do nothing but help. The three tailgate tents to my west do nothing but watch the TV and talk HS games. They used to go in and watch these kids.

Wolf did his due diligence and offered the "A-list" locals, but we are not going to get those (at least as frosh and A-list status). Then he went down to Florida and got a "bunch" of athletes ...but few players. Since we do not have many openings, I am excited to see the local flavor. Let's hope we see some LOI's.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:44:54 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »
The numbers on both kids ( Ragland & Wollet) are inflated. Neither are  as tall or as heavy. Both show an active motor and some skills. But they both will be neutralized against bigger, faster players. Trotwood had a stud team who overpowered everyone and schemes  allowed Ragland to get little attention to block him. College will eat him up. Wollet probably a special teamer. Undersized for the middle.  Both appear to be good athletes but level of play ( D-I) is a question mark.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:58:16 PM by paladin »

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »
I love Paladins analysis on Ragland and Wollett...too small...too light...not tall enough...cant play at our level...yeah, right now they cant but in 2 yearsthey will no longer be boys...theyll be men with 2 years of maturation...all i know is both come from solid, winning programs and in Wolletts case the bloodlines are there...I would take both in a heartbeat...the results will bear out 2 years from now and if both are on the 2 deep depth chart then they will have been worth it

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 07:10:18 PM »
Avery Larkin, a 5-11 DB from Cincinnati La Salle has committed to YSU. Had a pick 6 in the D2 title game against Nordonia.

Avery Larkin @avery_larkin  ·  42m 42 minutes ago
I have chosen Youngstown State University to be the place where I will further my education and football career. #YSU

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1198523/highlights/173983376
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:18:54 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
Avery Larkin, a 5-11 DB from Cincinnati La Salle has committed to YSU. Had a pick 6 in the D2 title game against Nordonia.

Avery Larkin @avery_larkin  ·  42m 42 minutes ago
I have chosen Youngstown State University to be the place where I will further my education and football career. #YSU

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1198523/highlights/173983376

wow great program. A little short for DB's these days, but taller than what we have and plays much taller, but good speed and an eye for the ball (perhaps too much, QBs are not that bad at our level) ...sounds like a great problem to have and just what we need. Welcome aboard Avery!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
Larkin is a good one and comes from an athletic family ( Uncle was Barry Larkin of the Reds). Also played on the best team in the GCL South( Elder, St. X, Moeller), LaSalle, and he was one of the reasons why. Good closing speed, good hips and very athletic playing the ball. Great hands. Wondered where he was going to go to school and very surprised he is coming here.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »
Larkin is a good one and comes from an athletic family ( Uncle was Barry Larkin of the Reds). Also played on the best team in the GCL South( Elder, St. X, Moeller), LaSalle, and he was one of the reasons why. Good closing speed, good hips and very athletic playing the ball. Great hands. Wondered where he was going to go to school and very surprised he is coming here.

I wonder if he can bring us Jeremy :) Not sure if they are brothers or cousins.