Author Topic: Guins vs. WSU  (Read 9612 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins vs. WSU
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 10:03:05 PM »
ysufan0505, thanks for opting out.

You're welcome. I, unlike most of the faculty and some fans will not support mediocrity.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »
#ThankGodForWilberforce

That's the funniest line I've seen today.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »
10 YEARS!!!!... On pace for another 20 loss season.... With the loss to Oakland, YSU is guaranteed to finish in last place. Only question is will they be 9th place alone, or tie for last with WSU, UIC or both... Best HL finish under Slocum has been 5th place.

The lack of money argument get's old. If money is an issue, then play 6-7 "money games like Oakland. They played FIVE such games in a row at one point this year. Oakland was 5-10 OOC and YSU 9-6... Oakland is now 16-14/11-4 and tied for 2nd place in the HL with YSU is 11-19/2-13 and last in the HL.

I was NOT a huge fan of Robic. With that said, his teams fared ok in seasons one and two. Even won 19 games in his 2nd year, then YSU made the jump to the Horizon. Why was he allowed only 5 years, given he faced the same financial issues the program has faced in 10 year with Slocum, and he was not able to coach and recruit with the upgrades that have taken place facility wise. So, why did he get only 5 years, but some are saying Sloucm is in line for a possible contract extension?

I have no idea what would have happened with YSU basketball had Robic been given another 3-5 years. What I do know is he was put in a highly UNENVIABLE position when YSU moved to the HL. He took the job thinking he would be coaching in the Mid-Con, a league in which YSU had the ability to compete given the budget and facilities. Then he is asked to lead YSU into the HL, there is not much success, and he is fired after 3 years of coaching in the HL. Slocum has had 10 years in the HL, and inherited a program entering it's 4th year in the league. Butler left a few years ago and Loyola left 2 years ago. Oakland in just a few years and blown way past YSU, as did Valpo.

Seriously, what is the point of having men's basketball anymore? Might as well replace men's basketball with wrestling or mens swimming and diving. As far as a coach, I know Stan Heath is available. He does color commentary on ESPN. He could be a possible candidate with experience.
*Bobby Hurley is currently at Buffalo. The HL is a better quality league than the MAC.
*Rob Barnes, a former HC at Ole Miss is now HC at Cal State Bakersfield, which plays in the WAC. Barnes was 141-109 at Ole Miss. He is presently 56-66 at Cal Bakersfield in his 4th season, and team played in the CIT in 2011-12. This year, the team is 13-16 overall/9-7 in the WAC and 3rd place. Hard for me to believe he is making huge sums of money at UC Bakersfield....
*Ron Hunter is at Georgia State, which plays in the CAA, a conference ranked 19th in RPI...Hunter had a winning record at IUPUI and his record at GSU is 80-45 in 4+ seasons
*Jason Gee is HC at Longwood... he is a former YSU and CSU assistant...also was HC at D2 Charleston from 96-97 thru 02-03...record was 160-53 with 4 trips to NCAA Tournament. Is not doing very well at Longwood in his 2nd year.... Longwood plays in the Big South, and I find it hard to believe they pay big $$$$$
* Mike Davis, former HC at Indiana and UAB is now HC at Texas Southern, which plays in the SWAC. The lowest ranked conference in the country.... He was also a long time assistant at IU ...Seriously going to try and tell me he would have no interest in coaching in the HL, even at YSU?

At this point, even a HIGH SCHOOL coach from a big school with a history of success. Preferably a Catholic School since he would also have recruiting experience, or a public school that recruits. Just get a person in there who will be willing to play 6,7,8 "money games" if that is what it takes to have more money in the program. A person who will put the focus of the OOC schedule on preparing for the HL, not racking up wins against Thiel, Hiram, Wilberforce...etc. At least do something so it let's people know the Athletic Department gives a damn. Then again, I ought to know by now that men's basketball ceased being important at YSU 30 years ago. Which is why I agree with those who say get rid of the program if not going to strive for the same type of excellence expected from football, even though basketball is my favorite sport. And, wrestling could do very, very good at YSU.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:12:10 PM by Lets_Talk »

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Money games are a great way of getting revenue into the program.  But we opt to play DIV 3 teams at home which we hardly look good playing them in front of 150 fans.   JUST DROP BASKETBALL IF THE UNIVERSITY DOESN'T CARE.   The program is a complete and major joke.   Wont see me at a game no more unless we make a change.   

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »
Losses just keep adding up.... Sigh.