Author Topic: Let the fun begin...  (Read 31160 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Let the fun begin...
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »
Let me see if I have this right.  Pelini is a bad person because he swears, gets emotional, and criticizes a former boss with whom he had a stormy relationship.  Swearing and physicality are prominent features of Catholic, ethnic, working class culture in America.  If you Mayflower descendants cannot tolerate such despicable behavior, I suggest you board the next plane and fly back to England.  Be sure to arrive in time to have tea with the (expletive deleted) royal family.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Yep, I have to agree now that I've heard the recording.  No where near as bad as what I thought it was going to be.

kforbs126

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
The media always will use the keywords and take it out of context to get headlines. 

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:56 PM »
Coaches are supposed to the teachers, at least thats what they claim; shapers of character, molders of individuals, etc etc. Pellini failed as a teacher to his most important audience--his players. He could have taught them how to leave a bad situation with class and dignity. Instead he taught them exactly how not to. Here is what he could have said...."Its been a great run at Nebraska, Ive truly loved coaching you. Unfortunately the person who hired me is no longer my boss. And the current AD and I have not had the best relationship. This happens frequently and as you move on in your careers it might happen to you.  Sometimes this means that you have to move on and thats what is happening with me. Im lucky, We have been successful here. I will coach somewhere else. It will likely be a good situation with an AD who wants me, and I have the money from my contract to fall back on.  So shed no tears for me. One of the keys to life is how you handle bad situations. My advice to you is learn when to leave and leave with class and dignity. Sometimes you have to burn bridges to move forward, but the trick is knowing when and how to do so."

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »
Let me see if I have this right.  Pelini is a bad person because he swears, gets emotional, and criticizes a former boss with whom he had a stormy relationship.  Swearing and physicality are prominent features of Catholic, ethnic, working class culture in America.  If you Mayflower descendants cannot tolerate such despicable behavior, I suggest you board the next plane and fly back to England.  Be sure to arrive in time to have tea with the (expletive deleted) royal family.

I probably swear way more than him.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »
I am not going to applaud or condem what Coach Pelini said, but I will tell you that I lived in Alabama during Bear Bryant's tenure and visited camp many times.  Bear was about as abusive of a coach as you could imagine, both verbally and physically, yet every news media always referred to him as "the perfect southern gentleman."

You can find skeletons in the closet of almost every person let alone every coach.

We were happy to get Coach Pelini and now it seems some have already turned on him.
Welcome to Youngstown.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »
  I hope Pelini wins championships and is the best thing to hit Youngstown since Jim Tressel.  But some of the comments defending his behavior are amazing.   The comment about Bear Bryant, this isn't 1970 anymore.   Times have changed, coaches now get fired for things that were common place decades ago.

Why do you think Pelini isn't coaching at an FBS program?  Maybe they didn't want to deal with his BS.

kforbs126

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
  I hope Pelini wins championships and is the best thing to hit Youngstown since Jim Tressel.  But some of the comments defending his behavior are amazing.   The comment about Bear Bryant, this isn't 1970 anymore.   Times have changed, coaches now get fired for things that were common place decades ago.

Why do you think Pelini isn't coaching at an FBS program?  Maybe they didn't want to deal with his BS.

Yes it's not 1970's anymore and people don't care about swearing and screaming at people.  He isn't coaching at Nebraska because those bible belt thumpers can't handle it and the AD there is a d***** bag.  Do a bit of research on the AD.  He wasn't well liked at Miami either.  It's also been stated on multiple college football shows that he wasn't happy there and would have resigned the year before but wanted to stick it out for the players.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 08:49:24 PM »
If he wins, all this will go away prettttyyyyy quickly

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »
I can not believe that this has attracted this much attention. A football coach, in the locker room, screaming and yelling is not news, not a shock, not a big deal unless you are desperate to find something to complain about.

Too much good stuff to get excited about, move on.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I can not believe that this has attracted this much attention. A football coach, in the locker room, screaming and yelling is not news, not a shock, not a big deal unless you are desperate to find something to complain about.

Too much good stuff to get excited about, move on.
Scalzo must never of been in a football locker room after a loss... He was all up in arms about it yesterday.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
You are ALL missing it. The reaction isn't from those of us who know Bo is a dick, cusses, has anger issues and doesn't control himself well................ its the PARENTS of prospective players just NOW getting to know about him. You may write it off. But many parents and players WON'T. In fact, Bo will be used against himself by other schools pointing out his flaws, poor language and tantrums.

He will hurt himself in recruiting. This isn't big time Nebraska. Its FCS YSU

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
Pally, I'm not sure I've ever agreed with anything you have said on this forum or that I ever will again.  But, in this case, you make a very valid point!!!  Kudos to you.

kforbs126

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
You are ALL missing it. The reaction isn't from those of us who know Bo is a dick, cusses, has anger issues and doesn't control himself well................ its the PARENTS of prospective players just NOW getting to know about him. You may write it off. But many parents and players WON'T. In fact, Bo will be used against himself by other schools pointing out his flaws, poor language and tantrums.

He will hurt himself in recruiting. This isn't big time Nebraska. Its FCS YSU

I don't think parents care about foul language.  Again this isn't the 50's.  Players and students swear more now than ever before.  I think most of you aren't around teenagers or 20 somethings very often.  Most kids nowadays are not angels. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:29:02 PM by kforbs126 »