Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 120476 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
If you were concerned about Carl coming on board, this piece on Yahoo makes it pretty clear it will not be happening: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/carl-pelini--i-ve-lived-like-a-hermit-for-about-15-months-160339297.html

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »
May as well be said............ the name Pelini doesn't seem to be "luring in" the coaches and his brother is Persona non grata. I'm still expecting problems with recruiting too.  The name Pelini may mean something here in the Valley, but the rose colored glasses crowd is in for a rude awakening . So much for the " Mooney  Mafia". Its going to be a difficult regime.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »
IAA Fan,

Year after year, you have allowed this man to express his obsessive hatred toward Ron Strollo over and over and over again.  And that comment comes from someone who thinks that Strollo has been a rather poor athletic director.  I just don't say that fifty times per month.  Now are you going to allow him to trash Pelini over and over and over again for eight months before the first game?  And do you understand that those of us who live in the Mahoning Valley have had about enough of his continuous slanders against our community?  Add to that a few of us who are insulted by his hatred toward our local Catholic schools.  A website can be ruined by more that just personal attacks.  You might think about this....a lot.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
May as well be said............ the name Pelini doesn't seem to be "luring in" the coaches and his brother is Persona non grata. I'm still expecting problems with recruiting too.  The name Pelini may mean something here in the Valley, but the rose colored glasses crowd is in for a rude awakening . So much for the " Mooney  Mafia". Its going to be a difficult regime.
I am a proud Ursuline guy. If you think you have to be a big Mooney fan to get all excited about Pelini, you are most certainly wrong. It will be telling when Nebraska begins to struggle and become mediocre and we become a playoff team. Then perhaps Eichorst will realize his firing Pelini was an absolutely stupid decision.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »
IAA Fan,

Year after year, you have allowed this man to express his obsessive hatred toward Ron Strollo over and over and over again.  And that comment comes from someone who thinks that Strollo has been a rather poor athletic director.  I just don't say that fifty times per month.  Now are you going to allow him to trash Pelini over and over and over again for eight months before the first game?  And do you understand that those of us who live in the Mahoning Valley have had about enough of his continuous slanders against our community?  Add to that a few of us who are insulted by his hatred toward our local Catholic schools.  A website can be ruined by more that just personal attacks.  You might think about this....a lot.

I've noticed that there are a few different "camps" among big donors when it comes to choosing football coaches etc.  It appears that Paladin is part of the Cafaro camp.  He tends to back that area either by fact or coincidence.   I don't understand those kinds of things but it looks that way as an outsider.   He is not always correct on all of his assessments and he never comes out and says he is wrong when things like this are proven.  He is a simple critic when you boil it down.  The odd thing is that he support YSU on other Web sites, but he can be abusive within his own village.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:19:23 AM by penguinpower »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:21 AM »
penguinpower,

Interesting observation as far as there being different camps. Guess it makes sense, given that there is animosity among some of the most prominent money people and families in Ytown/Warren. The first that comes to mind is Covelli -vs- Cafaro. They despise each other. So, I'd imagine they each have their own camp so to speak. And, then a 3rd would be the DeBartolo/York camp.

At the very least, it would seem there is a Cafaro Camp and a DeBartolo/York Camp, as Covelli may be in with the DeBartolo/York camp. Lyden is also in there somewhere. Not sure if Covelli and Lyden are big enough though have their own camps. Cafaro and DeBartolo/York definitely. And, we also have Tressel/Watson, which is a ninteresting dynamic given Tressel is now President.

As for Paladin, my biggest problem with him is his refusal to admit when wrong. Paladin if you read this, your inability and/or unwillingness to admit when wrong brings down your credibility, at least in my book. You add alot of insight. You speak you mind. There are alot of times you are right, and you have no problem pointing out when you are right. There are also times you are wrong, and you rarely to never acknowledge when you are wrong. It's okay to be wrong. Everyone is wrong at times. Being able to admit when wrong is an admirable quality.

As far as the search for assistant coaches, I'd imagine there will be alot of jumping around taking place with coaches for another month to 6 weeks. Obviously, the NFL and top FBS schools are at the top of the food chain. Then comes the lower tier FBS schools are top tier FCS schools. Hopefully things work out well in the end for Pelini and the YSU football program.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:43:40 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
penguinpower -- of course I support YSU    on other sites. I'm a fan.  I gladly trash other programs that play YSU.  And I have fun doing it.  But, I never LIE to myself, however.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
If the YSU front office is any reflection of the population of this chatboard and what I assume is the community, than I can see where a majority of the issues come from.  Refusal to take criticism, unrealistic expectations, an unhealthy homogeneity demanded at all times e.g. "youngstown guys", and any questioning of decisions is met with cries of traitor-ism.  Sounds like 1984 to me.  Support with an unquestioning demeanor is for married men, nothing else.

If Pelini is a smart man, which with his tirade at his age (you'd think his vocabulary would be larger), is hard to discern, before YSU was even a thought in his mind he knew one thing, Being a Head coach at an FBS(Power 5) school is a resume bullet point that never goes away.  He could win 3 'chips at YSU, and then apply for another Million $ coaching job without even mentioning YSU or FCS, Fact.  To me this is a plus for YSU, he's not in a hurry or desperate.  Now as for him being difficult to work with, not a huge stretch of the imagination to believe that if he is a hot-head that seemingly, is unapologetic about a great deal, however this would mean that whatever staff he does have would be fiercely loyal, which could be both good and bad.  One thing is for certain however,   We will soon know whether he can COACH.  Not just put SEC and BIG XII talent on the field and chew up useless wins.  Not, somehow ;), go from coaching in High School to falling ass-backwards into coaching Montana, Young and Bono.  But Coach up an athlete, an athlete with most likely zero of the polish he's used to.  Certainly an interesting time in an interesting career.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »

So Pelini is the savior ?  8)   I made MY COMMENTS BASED ON what I KNOW . He is having PROBLEMS getting a staff. Even the ones he agreed to keep are leaving. Recruiting staff is challenging, no ? Heres a tip -- he is not only foul mouthed, arrogant and shoots from the hip often, he.............................. hold for it............................................... is NOT considered a great guy to work for. Having questionable recruiting skills will soon be answered. I suspect there will be a HOST of problems here with him  and winning may not be the the expected outcome.  But I'll let everyone hang themselves with their comments while I pass along my outlooks and inside info. For certain, the heat is going to get turned up and its going to get laughable here. Grab some popcorn. You can laugh at Paladin being wrong ( highly unlikely and rare) or cry about another Strollo gift that blows up in everyone faces ( which has been a regular act).

We go through assistant coach musical chairs nearly every year as our assistants move up to better offers in FBS or pros.  Maybe a little more so this year because of the HC change, but not much more. No big deal here--this is simply part of being in the FCS.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
Pelini could have coached anywhere and he decided this is where he wants to be.  I went away to school here and this is where I want to be. So I find that kinda cool. We need more people who want to be here Is Pelini a Tressel no he isn't and I don't want him to be.  He will make mistakes and his coaching staff will probably take awhile to develop.  He didn't come here to fail.  But what happened in the 90's was a freak accident and caused our expectations to be so high.  If we would make the playoffs every other year that's a start and to get 10 to 15k true fans is another.  let's let this guy put his stamp on the program and let them play a few games before we bash him into submission. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »
Dana Balash reporting that Ron Stoops will be the DC....

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »
If that is true, it's all going to implode  early. It's all downhill now.

Offline ysufratrat23

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »
I hope that is not true. RS should go back to high school where he was a good coach. Then again maybe RS will surprise me.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2015, 05:48:33 PM »
Pelini could have coached anywhere and he decided this is where he wants to be.  I went away to school here and this is where I want to be. So I find that kinda cool. We need more people who want to be here Is Pelini a Tressel no he isn't and I don't want him to be.  He will make mistakes and his coaching staff will probably take awhile to develop.  He didn't come here to fail.  But what happened in the 90's was a freak accident and caused our expectations to be so high.  If we would make the playoffs every other year that's a start and to get 10 to 15k true fans is another.  let's let this guy put his stamp on the program and let them play a few games before we bash him into submission.

Agree with most of your post but take exception with the 90's being a freak accident, was APpy st or Gsu freaks. I think not, AD's made good choices, head coaches made good choices everything came together. Sure some things had to fall into place but the wording Freak Accident just sounds a bit harsh and does not give credit to those who made it happen.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
I agree. Not sold on Stoops as DC....