Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 118987 times)

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Assistant Coaches
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
Who in the current staff will Pelini keep on?

Will there be big time assistants that Pelini brings on staff?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »
I think he keeps quite a bit  ...mainly for financial reasons. We already know his OC from Nebraska is staying there. No matter what some some say here, but at the money we pay, he is going to have a tough time doing better than Montgomery. However I have heard that Montgomery is being considered for a fairly big offer. Also his offense, when working as it should, is very complicated. I coach P is almost forced to take over the D for the short-term. Look at Heacock, when he turned it over ...it was a noticeable drop-off.  Again I would have to think that Wolford is the trump card. If wolf takes another head-job ...he will want his existing staff.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
I feel that Bryant, Zordich, Bricillo and Stoops will stay on staff and possibly Gerberry.
That would mean Coach Pelini would only have to find 6 other coaches.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:27:20 PM »
Stoops needs to go.  I like Bricillo.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »
Stoops biggest role in recruiting coordinator, so (assuming we pull more local talent) he should stay.. I agree with coach Carmen being a quality guy and a "keeper".

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:29:02 PM »
Stoops wasn't  used for local recruiting. He was there as a firewall for Wolf for  angry parents and coaches in the area who wondered why their local limited talent "star" wasn't recruited by YSU. Its going to get much funnier as delusional Youngstown folks expect a former Mooney player   now the coach at YSU  gets put on the hot seat to sign limited talents from Mooney and the area, thus dooming the football program he is supposed to lead to bigger and better things.  ;D

I'm telling you, its going to get funny as he11 around here.  8)

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »
Stoops wasn't  used for local recruiting. He was there as a firewall for Wolf for  angry parents and coaches in the area who wondered why their local limited talent "star" wasn't recruited by YSU. Its going to get much funnier as delusional Youngstown folks expect a former Mooney player   now the coach at YSU  gets put on the hot seat to sign limited talents from Mooney and the area, thus dooming the football program he is supposed to lead to bigger and better things.  ;D

I'm telling you, its going to get funny as he11 around here.  8)

I agree with this point.  But only to the extent if hes unable to recruit good players nationally, if he cant compete with the MAC in recruiting regionally, or the power 5 regionally then he's in a worse boat than Wolf was in because of the community perception.  Im curious as to what demands for "recruiting improvements" he will make and how much the end cost will be.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Paladin ...aside from the fact that you are a 'weenis' ...Mooney has about 3 (maybe 4) DI players a year. We will still get about 1% of those. I know this and care about HS football just about as much as I do a case of severe hemorrhoids. Everyone knows this ...including coach P.

The idea of this type of hire is to move up in the national pecking order for recruits. Which is why we hired Bo Pelini and not PJ Fecko. Most recruiting coordinators do not even coach, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »
Pelini will be on the hot seat as he sinks or swims with who he brings in as staff. Several of Wolf's staff may  get preferential treatment as they have some local ties so the old boy network will be alive and well for awhile. Wolf got fired because of his poor choice of staff., especially on the D side, firing two DC over the years and never getting that side of the ball to contribute to the program.  But  they have great talent here now ( Wolf was a he11 of a recruiter). The challenge is to keep it coming or the program will fall in competitive level and in the MVFC the fall will be swift.  BTW, Pelini was not known as a strong recruiter, but he had a good staff with a school that has lots of $$$$$$$$$$ for FB and a solid alumni base who helped. He has none of that at YSU, so expect him to have problems early on.

Staff hires will be critical.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:51:01 PM »
As long as Montgomery leaves I'm ok.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »
Yes, I agree, Fan. Recruiting Co-ord. are paperwork guys who don't coach at major schools. Film work, visits and filtering out contacts for the individual staff to contact in their assigned area of the  state or country is how it works. Its limited here and Pelini will find FCS recruiting to be much more difficult than what he was used to.

I know Youngstown area WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW THEY WILL WASTE TIME HERE . They need to hit Fla. & Calif, keep the Pa. contacts and work in special talents as they find them in Texas and the Carolinas/Ga. Wolf had started to bring in some good people from SW Ohio too.

Just so you know, the name Pelini won't mean jack in recruiting. FBS players are still going tpo go FBS. FCS is a different animal. His first class may be telling.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »
I never saw any great recruiter. You are a great prognosticator, but lousy at history.

05, ask some of the players on O who recruited them ...you may not be in such a hurry to dump Montgomery. I just want to score more points than my opposition.

It was Heacock's staff (actually his brothers) that first broke into Central and southern Ohio. Montgomery (a Newark, OH native) does this now.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:02:58 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
Glad the players like him but it's time for a change. Time to pound the football like the old days with our solid RB's and big O-Line. No need for our young QB to be throwing the ball all over. And not to mention his horrible play calling.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 12:18:26 AM »
Some are questioning if he would try to hire his brother ( who was fired in a   scandal in Florida) at YSU ?

Tressel would allow that ?

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:53 AM »
I've always assumed that he would, as well as keep most of what we have now--won't be shocked with either scenario of cleaning house or keeping most.