Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 120270 times)

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Might as well give Don Bucci a coaching job as well if that's the direction he's going. I was really excited about hiring Bo but after this maybe not as much.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2015, 07:59:49 PM »
I would not say what happened in the 90's was a freak accident. What I would say is it was a once in a century type of decade for YSU football. And, the 90's are an aberration when compared to every other decade of YSU football. YSU historically is a 6-5 program. Look up the historic records.

YSU had alot of very good players. Those teams had a mix of excellent athletes who for one reason or another ended up at YSU instead of FBS schools. They had plenty of players who were overlooked by the FBS programs and even most FCS programs. Guys who could flat out play football, but were deemed too small or a step to slow. The program fared very well with local players who went away to Big Time FBS programs transferring back to YSU.

And, very importantly, they had a very good HC who had the patience to remain at YSU, whether than leaving for any FBS job offered. The only time prior to 2001 that I thought Tressel was going to leave was in 95 to go to Miami. Fortunately for YSU, there were personal reasons that kept him from taking the job, not too mention that Miami was on probation. After that point, I had a strong sense the only job he would leave for was OSU. That job usually come open every 8-12 years. I never thought he would get hired by OSU, as I figured they would go with a bigger "name". And, I thought his lack of FBS Head Coaching experience would be held against him.

It is rare for a HC like Tressel to stay at an FCS school for 15 years. He was wise enough to realise though that being a big fish in a small pond was better than a small fish in a big pond. OSU was too good of a job to turn down. The others, they were pretty much lateral moves, except for an increase in pay. I do remember Marsdhall made a run at Tressel, but there is no way he was taking that job. At YSU, Tressel also had Conatser by his side most of those years, along with Stoops. And, then a bunch of good, hungry assistant coaches, that have gone on to be DC's, OC's and HC's at FBS programs. Enough consistency with the staff for there to be a sense of stability, and then a good mix of young, talented assistants that bought into what Tressel was selling. And, then those coaches, along with Tressel got the players to buy in, which is very important. After a rough start the first 3 years, YSU became consistently one of the top programs in FCS. And, when that happened, then the majority of the upper class players worked on getting the frosh and transfers to "buy in". Throw in being at a school in an area that needed something to help life the spirits of the community and an area where football is extremely popular, and you have the framework for a dynasty. And, at that time, there were alot more kids playing high school football in the "State of Youngstown" that had the ability to play at YSU. And, Tressel and his staff did a great job getting this kids to YSU, not too mention letting the guys who went to FBS schools that they would be welcome at YSU if things did not work out at their chosen school.

I could be wrong, but my take on Wolford is he was only going to be at YSU 4 or 5 years either way. He would either come in an turn things around, then go off to be HC at an FBS school, or have what happened end up happening, and then get fired. But, that is the kind of person who is most likely to have success at an FCS school. A person hungry to prove they can be an HC, and who has their aspirations set much higher than YSU.

AS for the report Stoops will be DC, that is surprising. I figured Pelinin would be DC. Defense is his strength, and he has enough experience as an HC to be able to handle being both HC and DC. I wonder if Stoops is going to be co-Defensive Coordinator, or something of that sort, and Balash just reported the info incorrectly?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »
To take that back a little further, we had the same coach from 1936 to 1974. A really good short-term guy that took off for IA (not the state, the division). In fact he left us and took SIU to the I-AA national championship. From there we hired Narduzzi ...was around for quite a while (10 years) and should have been longer. Tressel for 15, Heacock for 9 ...then Wolf for 5. It will be interesting to see how Pelini takes his place in YSU history.

As to Stoops being DC ...probably not great move in and by itself, but has a lot to do with Bo's strengths. Bo has an idea of what he wants from the D and see's Ron as a man that he can trust to get it done. Bring in a star and you have to let him do what he wants.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »
I personally don't feel it's a great move but at the same token I can't say I'm surprised. Just wonder how much effort Pelini put into his search before this hire. A Quality linebacker coach on this level is much easier to find then a quality D.C..the offenses have become so advanced in the Missouri Valley and it will be a challenge..Bo's the captain of the ship and we must support his decision..hopefully it works out

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »
 This time around I agree with Paladin and Let's talk.   Ron Stoops showed me nothing as linebackers coach.  And is this a Mooney guy taking care of another Moony guy?  Stoops for the past several years was part of a defense that couldn't get off the field.

Yes, what happened here in the 1990's is once in a century, the goal should be a playoff team.  Dominating like we did won't happen again in  our lifetime.  Enjoy the memories and what Coach Tressel did.

North Dakota State is enjoying that kind of run right now.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »
Stoops? The whole family has lost their luster as coaches!  :o

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »
Coach Carter gone:

Delaware State (FCS): Former Louisville special teams coordinator / running backs coach Kenny Carter has been hired as the program’s new head coach. Carter spent last season at Youngstown State as passing game coordinator and c0-special teams coordinator.

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2015, 12:46:02 AM »
I heard Coach Pelini will be calling the defense.   DC just by title, just like every OC,  when Coach Tressel was in charge!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
Outstanding Hire:

@HuskerExtraSip: Had great talk tonight with Ron Brown. He's the new associate H.C. and running backs coach at Youngstown State. Column coming. #Huskers

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
Outstanding Hire:

@HuskerExtraSip: Had great talk tonight with Ron Brown. He's the new associate H.C. and running backs coach at Youngstown State. Column coming. #Huskers
I did not read about it from Huskers posting until today (linking to his picture and story). I saw him on campus yesterday. But, I did not realize that was him until after reading the post. I hope he can help us. Go Penguins.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
Great hire.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
I heard Coach Pelini will be calling the defense.   DC just by title, just like every OC,  when Coach Tressel was in charge!

Klacik was a good OC while JT was calling the plays.  Afterwards, not so much.

Offline Punisher

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
Ron Brown is a great hire.  He is also a great recruiter and a great person.  I and most Nebraska fans hated to see him not be retained in Lincoln. 

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »
Klacik ? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...................... don't get me started. BTW, if you want to know why Miami(O.) was so bad this  year and also got beat by FCS Eastern Ky., their OC was........................................................... hold for it...................................................... Johnny Klacik !!  Wonder how much unbalanced line they ran !  8)   

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
Klacik ? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...................... don't get me started. BTW, if you want to know why Miami(O.) was so bad this  year and also got beat by FCS Eastern Ky., their OC was........................................................... hold for it...................................................... Johnny Klacik !!  Wonder how much unbalanced line they ran !  8)

I wonder if they had a second page in their playbook.