Author Topic: Strollo's next assignment  (Read 13440 times)

Offline Zchaney

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Strollo's next assignment
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
I don't understand how title IX becomes a factor for wrestling when it has had several femal wrestlers that were very successful. It is not just a men's sport it is both. So I don't really see a conflict with the title IX.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:24 PM »
Its a factor because its a low fan participation sport, contributes less to general population admission than any other sport but golf.  And wrestling does not have the donors golf has to stay afloat.  Unfortunately an easy cut because of title IX and very few women actually wrestle.

Only problem (if we were to add wrestling and/or men's soccer), wouldn't we need to add an associated number of female sports scholarships?  (In order to comply with Title IX).

Depends on what branch of title IX our university has chosen to show compliance, its never just as simple as dollars=dollars, which is why title IX is so diabolical,  these easiest route is also the easiest to manipulate compliance protocol. Needs to be rewritten terribly, especially with the Power 5 coming to power.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:45 AM »
I know Tressel is President and not AD. He is still relevant to any discussion to add sports by virtue of being University President. When Tressel was AD, he was very, very good about compliance with Title IX. And, this issue is important to him. Tressel is big into diversity and equality. He also has 2 daughters, both of whom played sports. So, as President, provided money is there to add sports, I do not see Tressel allowing the Athletic Department to take the easy route.

As for Ron Strollo, he too is very good about Title IX. He too places an importance on diversity and equality. He also has a daughter who played sports, and a wife who ran Track & CC for YSU. So, I do not see him trying to take any shortcuts. One, because that is not in Ron's nature, two because he knows that is not in President Tressel's nature, and three because his wife would be very, very, very unhappy. 

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »
Nearly all mid-major and lower-teir Universities take the easiest route, its the only way to ensure compliance and not get sanctioned on Title IX.  Not an indictment on anyone, just the truth.

Offline penmight

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
I think men's soccer would be logical. Some good soccer talent in the high school level here. Akron has one of the best soccer programs in the nation, since we already have a women's team and a brand new soccer facility, I would like to see it come to fruition.

Cut baseball, add men's soccer (for Title XI purposes this would be the way to go).

We have a damn good, on-campus soccer facility with no men's team playing on it and it's a disgrace. Baseball brings no one on campus. It's played in horrible weather in a six (?) team league. Don't care about the NCAA appearances.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
I think men's soccer would be logical. Some good soccer talent in the high school level here. Akron has one of the best soccer programs in the nation, since we already have a women's team and a brand new soccer facility, I would like to see it come to fruition.

Cut baseball, add men's soccer (for Title XI purposes this would be the way to go).

We have a damn good, on-campus soccer facility with no men's team playing on it and it's a disgrace. Baseball brings no one on campus. It's played in horrible weather in a six (?) team league. Don't care about the NCAA appearances.

Good Grief. More former guins playing in the MLB than all other sports combined.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »
We just need to build an on campus baseball stadium, that's all. No big deal ;)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »

Hey Slippery Rock has one!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »

As long as we are spending money and dreaming - let's make it a domed stadium so they don't play the majority of their season down south.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »

As long as we are spending money and dreaming - let's make it a domed stadium so they don't play the majority of their season down south.

Cafaros already have a field, need the Yorks to one up them and do a dome
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne