Author Topic: Strollo's next assignment  (Read 13431 times)

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Strollo's next assignment
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
Now that Bo is here it is time for Strollo to do what tens of us want done................................

BRING BACK WRESTLING

I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Strollo's next assignment
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »
Now that Bo is here it is time for Strollo to do what tens of us want done................................

BRING BACK WRESTLING

This may be where the "bean counting" comes in.  With Title IX, what sport do they add?
Maybe the better question to you would be how would they do that?
If they could increase revenue from football and basketball, this may become a reality.
Unfortunately it is the IF factor that plays into too much.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »
How about men's soccer?

Spiderlegs

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »
Lacrosse. This is a sport played by kids from high income families. These families pay money to keep their kids in lacrosse in college when there are no scholarships, and there aren't enough programs around to pick up these kids. These kids also get good grades, so they improve the academic profile of the university.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
Would be awesome!  Really good wrestling in northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania areas to recruit from! Probably better than football recruiting actually. $$$ is the key. Need a benefactor to get it going and look at Title IX. I know my brother is talking about starting a NCWA club team there. It may be a start.

Go Guins
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Dompam

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:05:11 AM »
I talked to Tressel at Crash Day he knows what a goldmine Youngstown State University's location is for wrestling and it's something that is going to be looked at down the road. In between Cleveland and Pittsburgh and throw in Youngstown area - look at Vinny Pizzuto from Jackson-Milton who is ranked in D1 at 133 for Eastern Michigan  - Youngstown State with support could have a great wrestling program. I have talked to a few people and we are definitely starting a NCWA club at YSU next year - there are many kids at YSU right now that would love to have the opportunity to compete in wrestling - and with many open collegiate tournaments close to YSU we can have an affordable travel schedule and then go to regionals and nationals.

Offline Zchaney

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
As a former area wrestler I have always wanted to try to get a wrestling team at ysu or even a intermeral team together. I honestly can say if I ever had a chance it would be easy to get a team together. Wrestling has showed me that everyone that has wrestled is always family. If they would make a team give me a week to make a few phone calls and I would have a full roster just out of students that I personally know for a team. That is not including just my home town. BRING IT BACK YSU!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
This area does have a good reputation of wrestlers. Would be a good idea but would travel and expenses get in the way? Not too many schools close to us offer Wrestling... I could be wrong.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
I think men's soccer would be logical. Some good soccer talent in the high school level here. Akron has one of the best soccer programs in the nation, since we already have a women's team and a brand new soccer facility, I would like to see it come to fruition.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
I think men's soccer would be logical. Some good soccer talent in the high school level here. Akron has one of the best soccer programs in the nation, since we already have a women's team and a brand new soccer facility, I would like to see it come to fruition.

Right on the money 05. We would not even be considered for the MAC without a men's program ...and we did not build such a nice facility for a women's-only program.

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »
Only problem (if we were to add wrestling and/or men's soccer), wouldn't we need to add an associated number of female sports scholarships?  (In order to comply with Title IX).

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
you bet, but note how much we have invested in our women's sports as of late ...including scholarships. Increases in Track, softball, swimming, tennis and soccer. I wish we had the numbers in front of us.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
Nothing more entertaining than reading delusional fans wanting to spend more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on athletics at a broke university.

Its funny how many are clueless about reality  .

Spiderlegs

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
Actually, I think I want to Slocum problem fixed first. A successful men's bb program would dramatically affect the profile of the university, and relatively speaking is easier to build than football.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Actually, I think I want to Slocum problem fixed first. A successful men's bb program would dramatically affect the profile of the university, and relatively speaking is easier to build than football.

AMEN