Author Topic: Quinlan’s Gem Sends YSU to 7-1 Win Over Top-Seeded Wright State  (Read 6621 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Mequon, Wis. -- Youngstown State freshman right-hander Jeremy Quinlan held Horizon League regular-season champion Wright State to five hits in a complete-game and lifted the Penguins to a 7-1 tournament victory on Thursday evening at Kapco Park.

Youngstown State will advance to play Milwaukee in the winners bracket final on Friday at 8 p.m. Eastern while Wright State will play an elimination game at 4 p.m. against UIC or Valparaiso. YSU will be making its first winners bracket final appearance since 2005.

Quinlan, a native of Brookfield, Ohio, set new career highs for innings and strikeouts in making his first postseason appearance. He finished the game with six strikeouts after having 11 for the year and a career-long outing of four innings. The right-hander needed just 105 pitches for his gem.

"He commanded his fastball very well," YSU head coach Steve Gillispie said of Quinlan. "He threw inside and outside, and he was able to throw his changeup down. He consistently kept everything out of the middle of the plate and was able to keep them from getting good swings on him."

"He's done that before for us in several shorter opportunities," Gillispie added. "When we felt we probably wouldn't get one of the top two seeds, we wanted to limit his pitches and make sure he stayed fresh because he has good enough stuff that he can compete with a good-hitting and aggressive team."

The Penguins jumped on Wright State starter Joey Hoelzel for five runs and ended the Horizon League Co-Pitcher of the Year's day after three innings. The Raiders bullpen limited YSU to two runs over the final six innings, but Quinlan had all the help he needed.

"I was able to locate everything tonight," Quinlan said. "I just tried to get it over the plate. If they hit it, I have my fielders to back me up. Against the No. 1 seed, you just have to throw strikes."

Phil Lipari led off the game with an infield single, and Alex Larivee followed with a walk. Brent Gillespie doubled in Lipari, and Matt Sullivan followed with a sacrifice fly to plate Larivee. Three batters later, Kevin Hix brought in Gillespie with a two-out single up the middle.

The Penguins added a run in the second when Gillespie was hit by a pitch and scored on a wild pitch. That came after Hoelzel retired the first two batters of the inning. Shane Willoughby doubled and scored on an error in the third to put the Penguins up 5-0.

"We've talked all year about being ready to win the game in the first inning," Gillispie said. "Sometimes you can get to a guy if he's not sharp early."

"I just think we're confident right now. Our coaches have done a good job preparing our guys for the tournament. We're getting good swings on pitches with runners in scoring position."

Quinlan allowed just one hit through the first three innings, and he shook off being hit on the leg with a hard line drive on the final out of the third inning.

"He's a tough kid," Gillispie said. "That's one of the things I love about him. He's not scared of anything, and he's very focused and disciplined. He didn't want to come out."

After allowing a one-out double in the first, Quinlan surrendered just one walk and one single through seven innings. Jack Murphy's bunt single with one out in the eighth ended a string of 10 straight retired hitters, and Murphy scored two batters later on Michael Timm's RBI double. Brad Macciocchi doubled with two outs in the ninth for Wright State's final hit.

Youngstown State went ahead 6-0 when David Saluga was hit by a pitch and scored on Lorenzo Arcuri's sacrifice fly in the seventh inning, and Arcuri singled in Willoughby in the ninth for the final tally.

Wright State went 25-4 against conference teams during the regular season and posted the most conference wins in the Horizon League since 1990. The Raiders went 5-0 against the Penguins during the regular season and won the regular-season crown by 8.5 games.

"I think we're a much better team than our record shows, and tonight we believed that," Gillispie said. "We just played the game. Wright State's obviously a very talented team, but we believed we could match them. When you get pitching like what Jeremy gave us, it's a lot easier to swing the bat."

Willoughby finished 3-for-4 with a single, double and a triple, and Lipari and Josh White had two hits apiece.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Quinlan’s Gem Sends YSU to 7-1 Win Over Top-Seeded Wright State
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:57:55 AM »
This means we have to lose two, in the final, to be eliminated. Better yet, win two and we are the champs!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:59:05 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
Well this has been a very unexpected surprise.  We can now finish no worse than third.  With this bunch, that is actually an amazing accomplishment.  The commentator last night suggested that our starting pitcher for the winner's bracket final this evening has an ERA of around 10.00. :'(  Expecting anything more is probably unrealistic.

That commentator also said that Quinlan was a WALK-ON.  So my question is this: why do our coaches give some scholarship money to pitchers from all over the country who, to be kind, are not very good; while at the same time they seemed to have missed this gutsy kid who lived in their backyard?  O well, at least we have him now.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »
You know Wick, I think it is no different than any other sport. As a DI school, we recruit the "hotbeds". I think there is a very large amount of untapped local talent. After all, a school less than 30-minutes away made the CWS last year.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
LOL !!!

The HL is a proven dog in most sports except basketball. And YSU  rarely fares well. This year is an exception but still nothing to brag about. Baseball is an embarrassment. How many games have they lost ?  As for recruiting the Valley, if you look close at that CWS team, you find few if any Valley athletes. Ohio puts out lots of good athletes but few choose to go to YSU. The Valley is barely getting by with its most "capable" sport -- football, and even there the numbers and quality have dropped off.  Forget about other sports. The area is barely average  any more. If the "local" stars are so good, how did they end up as WALK-ONS and not recruited elsewhere ?

I enjoy talking sports but don't understand why people insist in living in a "dream world". The rose colored glasses needs an  eye check up. Bifocals are overdue.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Honestly Paladin, why do you post here?  It has been perfectly obvious for many years  that you hate Youngstown State University, and that our unprecedented success in Olympic sports this academic year has made you miserable.  As someone, I think that it was JJ, suggested, why not attach yourself to Kent State, the school of your grandchildren.  Of course, as anyone with ties to academia knows, Kent State is one of the worst social liberal cesspools in the United States.  When you visit their campus, be sure to stop by the history department and observe the large poster of Bin Laden on the door of a Muslim professor.  Then listen to the department chair explain how the glorification of that murderous savage is covered by the tenets of academic freedom. 

There are two types of people in the Mahoning Valley.  Those that role up their sleeves and work tirelessly to make things better, and those who belittle and mock every sign of progress.  Many of us know into which category to place you.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
good speech, Wick, but doesn't change my thesis here -- the HL is a terrible league and YSU usually doesn't do well in it. Now folks are  excited about a MAJOR losing baseball team that starts to win in a weak tournament. Right ? How many games did they lose ?  How am I doing so far ?  And this year is proving to be the exception to the usual for most of the  other sports. Oh, and how about the parochial view that YSU needs more local athletes to get better with ? ;D ;D ;D

How am I doing ? Just trying to be truthful. And that's hard considering what  there is to read here.

I spend time and money here on YSU athletics and its not getting better. So you have joined the rose colored glases crowd now ?  8)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
-Why does your country give back everything it conquers ...perhaps it is because I choose to that my government believes in the betterment of man throughout the world.
-Why do you follow a man that supposedly died and arose from the dead ...perhaps it is because I believe he rose from the dead for the betterment of mankind.
-Why do you follow a team that is no good and in a smaller conference ...perhaps it is because I believe that this bit of sportsmanship is for the betterment of man in the Valley?

Notice a pattern here Paladin? If any of you guys remember father Gibus at St. Christine's. We asked him why we would bother to pray and God still made us lose to Volney Rogers. He laughed and said ...it isn't called a faith for nothing. :)

I have never forgotten that.

kforbs126

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
Paladin you are always so negative.  I feel bad for you because I'm sure this negativity is in your life just not about YSU.  Who care that the Horizon league is terrible for sports other than basketball?  Most these kids aren't going to make it past college to play professionally.  We aren't in the Big 10 or SEC.  The success in sports this year has been great.  Kids don't go to YSU to be professionals, they come here to get an education and play a sports, just like I did. 

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 11:29:54 PM »
Baseball only has 11 or 12 scholarships I believe at the D.1 level.  No one is full-ride and after all the scholarships get divided who really cares who is on scholarship or not. 

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
LOL !!!

The HL is a proven dog in most sports except basketball. And YSU  rarely fares well. This year is an exception but still nothing to brag about. Baseball is an embarrassment. How many games have they lost ?  As for recruiting the Valley, if you look close at that CWS team, you find few if any Valley athletes. Ohio puts out lots of good athletes but few choose to go to YSU. The Valley is barely getting by with its most "capable" sport -- football, and even there the numbers and quality have dropped off.  Forget about other sports. The area is barely average  any more. If the "local" stars are so good, how did they end up as WALK-ONS and not recruited elsewhere ?

I enjoy talking sports but don't understand why people insist in living in a "dream world". The rose colored glasses needs an  eye check up. Bifocals are overdue.

This is what's wrong with the board
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating