Author Topic: big ten shuts the door  (Read 3791 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
big ten shuts the door
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
Talked about a while back but the big ten has made it official - no more 1AA games. This is great news for leagues like the mac and horrible for us. I will not be surprised to see other leagues do the same. Appy and GSU knew what they were doing folks. The loss of cash will further the divide between 1-aa and 1-a.

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

One of Youngstown State’s biggest fears was realized Sunday when the Big Ten’s presidents and athletic directors voted to stop scheduling Football Championship Subdivision schools beginning in 2016.

The move could put a dent in the Penguins’ finances — YSU has played five Big Ten schools since 2006, earning an average of $540,000 in those games — but it also robs FCS schools of a key recruiting chip as well as the chance to build their reputation through an upset win.

The Penguins will play Big Ten teams in each of the next two seasons, traveling to Michigan State and Illinois, respectively. They were also expected to play Ohio State in 2015 although nothing official has been announced.

“We’re obviously going to have to look at other conferences,” YSU coach Eric Wolford said. “We’ll continue to talk to people in the Big 12, the ACC and the [former] Big East.”

The Big Ten’s decision was not unexpected; Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez revealed the plan on his radio show in mid-February. But when no other Big Ten officials confirmed Alvarez’s quotes, FCS officials held out hope that the conference would continue to schedule the games.

Since Alvarez’s interview, no other conferences have followed suit. In addition to the Big Ten games, YSU has also played three games since 2004 against former Big East member Pitt, including an upset win in 2012. The Penguins could look south to Kentucky, where Cardinal Mooney High graduate Mark Stoops is now the head coach and former YSU assistant Frank Buffano is the director of football operations.

The Big Ten’s decision was driven by two factors. First, each school will play nine conference games, leaving just three non-conference contests. Second, with the Southeastern Conference in the midst of a seven-year championship streak, the Big Ten’s reputation has taken a hit.

And with the BCS giving way to the new four-team playoff, the conference believes it needs to strengthen its schedule to earn one of the four spots.

Wolford, who spent one season as an assistant at SEC-member South Carolina before coming to YSU, said he believes the playoff will inevitably expand to as many as 16 teams, which could leave smaller conferences with little to play for.

“It’s going to be interesting to see what happens,” Wolford said. “If they go to a 16-team playoff, they’re probably going to take four or five from the SEC, so you start doing the math and a lot of conferences won’t get a chance to be in the playoffs.

“So what are they playing for? Are there still going to be bowl games? I don’t know.”

YSU athletic director Ron Strollo was in Florida for Horizon League meetings and did not respond to an interview request.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: big ten shuts the door
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:01:01 AM »
So you want to spend another $8-10 million per year to save a $540k payday?

Yeah it hurts but joining the MAC or Sun Belt to play one Big Ten football team a year doesn't make sense to me.

There may be valid reasons for GSU and App to do what they did, but access to one money game a year isn't one of them.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:29 AM »
I have two thoughts:

1. I have never believed that teams from a given division should be allowed to play teams outside of their division. There is supposed to be a gap. I am not embarrassed to support my school as a I-AA/FCS team. If a school wants to move up, down, then do so. That being said;

2. I was under the distinct impression that the only reason that IA/FBS teams were granted an additional game was to assist the I-AA/FCS teams. So, if the Big-10 no longer wants to do this, then they should not be granted the extra game started in 2016. Simply take it away.

The key is fairness, it is the only way to ensure competitiveness. Then again, these things require leadership; something the NCAA has not had since the inception of the BCS.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:35:12 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
Everybody please read and then memorize Indy's post.  It is just astonishing that some have no grasp of financial reality.  We would have a very hard time raising the athletic budget by just one million, let alone the multi-millions that would be required to play "pretend" big time football.

There is a way to recover some of this lost "blood game" revenue.  Just get real good again.  Raise attendance by about 4,000 per game by playing winning, dominant football.

IAA Fan, I doubt that the NCAA added the 12th football game just to provide a pay day to FCS schools.  However, by counting one victory over an FCS school toward bowl eligibility, they encouraged big time schools to share the wealth.  The NCAA hoped that, by providing that financial opportunity to FCS, the exodus of schools seeking "big time" status would stop.  The Big Ten surely just thumbed their collective nose at the NCAA with this decision.

If the blood games go (for everybody in our division,) we actually have the opportunity to enhance our schedule.  Schedule two successful, highly visible FCS opponents to home and away contracts.  Schools like Delaware, Villanova, and James Madison.  That gives us six home games each season: four league games, one home game against a worthy FCS foe, and then the no scholarship/limited scholarship tuneup.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
So you want to spend another $8-10 million per year to save a $540k payday?

Yeah it hurts but joining the MAC or Sun Belt to play one Big Ten football team a year doesn't make sense to me.

There may be valid reasons for GSU and App to do what they did, but access to one money game a year isn't one of them.

Do not see anywhere in my post where I suggested that YSU move up to 1A. I did suggest that Appy and GSU may see what may be coming and made the choice of which side of the fence that wanted to be on.

For the record teams from the mac or sunbelt are allowed to play more than one Big Ten school a year.

That 1 big payday goes a long way to help out athletic budget - all sports, hence horrible news for us.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne