Author Topic: Heacock achievements at Kent  (Read 15084 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Heacock achievements at Kent
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »
In other news, we have two basketball teams who are playing pretty well...
I'll go out on a limb and say YSU has two basketball teams  ???

Is it football season yet??  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:20:37 AM by ysubigred »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
Guin 4 it seems that the new standard to go to the playoffs is 1 in every 5 years, if Coach H was given one more year he could off met your standard.
The standard is higher than that, especially with the playoff field expanding to 24 next year.  I said Wolf has 2 more years, because that is when his contract runs out.  If the team regresses next year, then he should probably be fired, but YSU can't afford to buy him out early, so he'll be here at least until his contract runs out.

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
What is the standard than if Wolf is given five will the standard go down as more teams can go to the playoffs.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »
The topic of an appropriate standard for the football program was debated here at length after the last coaching change.  Here is the consensus that gradually developed: YSU should make the playoffs twice within a four year period and one of those playoff appearances should feature a legitimate run at the title.  Anything short of those goals is failure.  Wolford is well aware of the expectations and frequently speaks about them publicly. (Although not so much after his collapse this October.)

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
So the standard has not been met and the University spent allot of extra money not to meet it.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
One last  thing while we speak of Coach Heacock.
He did while at YSU Coach winning
"The Gateway Conference"  I might add, even
Jim Tressel did not achieve that.  Meant alot to
me cause of doing all the road games.  Just
sort of a moral victory, I guess.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
Coach.....best of luck!!

Class, always lands on it's feet.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm sure he was a nice guy, but his job wasn't to be a nice guy. He was offered the same budget Tressel used to win NCs, and as Tressel's recruits moved on, the # wins/season declined each of his first four years. In fact, he has a combined losing record his last two years. All he had to do was maintain a NC caliber program that was built for him, and handed to him. Yes, he made the playoffs one year.  Glad he did his job that year.

On the other hand, Coach Wolford inherited a mediocre program and has improved his record each year so far. Instead of getting clobbered by, he beat Pitt, and led against Penn State.  To say that the Wolf hasn't made the playoffs yet either, and somehow link that to Heacock's ineptitude, is unfair. One was destroying a program, and the other repairing.

I don't know either of these two men. Just speaking factually as a fan. If the Wolf underperforms the next two years , than I'll be equally as critical of him.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
Why wasn't wolf offered the same budget as Heacock and Tress

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
Why wasn't wolf offered the same budget as Heacock and Tress
What difference does that make in this discussion? The budget comes from the dept., he's speaking about the coaches performance.

One was handed a title contender and turned it into an also-ran. The other is taking a mediocre program and trending up.

If you want to continue to fixate on dollars, and somehow assume Heacock would have added 2-3 wins a year with more money I think you are missing the crux of the issue, if not delusional. All the money in the world wouldn't have made JH a better recruiter....nor would it have prevented him from keeping his crony O-Coordinator Klacik around long past his shelf date. Wonderful job he did at Lock Haven by the way.

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »
Money is part of the issue, if not the issue,  would off our present OC came to ysu for what wright was being paid.  Would it of been easier for Coach H to recruit if everything was re-done in the Coaches offices, as well as, the Locker rooms.  As far as recruits the two that are presently in the NFL from YSU were Coach Heacocks.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
Money is part of the issue, if not the issue,  would off our present OC came to ysu for what wright was being paid.  Would it of been easier for Coach H to recruit if everything was re-done in the Coaches offices, as well as, the Locker rooms.  As far as recruits the two that are presently in the NFL from YSU were Coach Heacocks.

Wolf is about to have some NFL guys very soon

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »
I hope thats true it would be great for those young men, however I do believe he only had one member on the first team unit for the league.