Author Topic: Penguins Conclude First Major Scrimmage; New Faces Make Plays  (Read 5674 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Penguins Conclude First Major Scrimmage; New Faces Make Plays
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »
The Youngtstown State football team held its first major scrimmage of the fall on Saturday at Stambaugh Stadium. The defense played well throughout while the offense worked on getting the quarterbacks as many reps as possible in the workout.

Each of the top three quarterbacks - Dante Nania, Hunter Wells and Ricky Davis - had their shots with the top and second-team units. Reserve tailbacks Demond Hymes, Ryan Moore, Raekown Washington and Sidney Sandidge performed well. The four backs combined for 32 carries and 210 yards with Moore busting a 70-yard run for a touchdown.

The defense held the upper hand early stopping the offense on five consecutive third-down plays. Wells connected with tight end Shane Kuhn for a seven-yard gain on a third-and-3 play for a first down.

Two series later, Moore took a pitch 70 yards for a score on a second-and-10 play from the 30-yard line. He had a nice stiff arm against safety Kenny Bishop inside the 20 to cap off the run.

After that play, the defense allowed just three first downs in the next four series, including one three-and-out.

In red-zone work, the defense stopped the offense seven times in 10 attempts. Highlighting the sequence was a 100-yard fumble return by linebacker Kevin Wilson and an impressive strip of Moore by Jameel Smith. The offense managed three scores as Davis connected with Andrew Williams on a 16-yard score, Sandidge scored on an eight-yard carry up the middle and Washington ended that portion of the workout with a three-yard TD run.

YSU worked on third-down situations for 14 of the next 16 snaps. On the two fourth-down plays the defense held twice while in the 16 third downs, the offense picked up a first down 11 times. On third-and-medium/long plays, the offense converted six of eight attempts.

The scrimmage was capped off with two-minute drill situations. Both times the defense rose to the occasion to make stops. On the first sequence, Jacob Studdard's intercepted as time expired ended the drive. On the second drive, the defense made a stop on fourth down on the final play of the scrimmage.

Defensively, Antoine Cox led the way with seven tackles while Jaylin Kelly was credited with six. Nathan Pittman, Tre' Moore, Smith and Kevin Rader all finished with five stops apiece.

The Penguins are off on Sunday before resuming practice on Monday morning.

Penguin Club memberships and season-ticket packages are still available to support the team. For information on Penguin Club memberships contact Tom Morella at tmorella@ysu.edu and for details on season-ticket packages call the Athletic Ticket Office at (330) 941-1978.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Penguins Conclude First Major Scrimmage; New Faces Make Plays
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »
Check out the new names on the defensive stats. Nice to see.

http://www.ysupenguins.com/sportspages/football/statistics/stats.pdf

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:34:03 AM »
Noticed that Jody Webb was not listed with other tailbacks--is he off the team or injured? I obviously missed the news if he was.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
Noticed that Jody Webb was not listed with other tailbacks--is he off the team or injured? I obviously missed the news if he was.

Ya he's a little banged up along with quite a few other starters.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
He was at the scrimmage. Had runs early ...I thought. Wonder why he is not listed?

The receivers had a lot of people on the sides ...Bryant, Stubs and Brown were all out. I think Wheary was out as well. Give #85 credit ...nice receiver. All of these missing receivers are going to make it harder to choose a QB. I was disappointed to see Gary and Davis with such limited action. I did not expect Nania to be so improved. Also, I do not think that anyone expected Wells to be in the mix until next year. Gary did not even take snaps with the #1's

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
Defense gave up about 5 yards per carry and about 8 yards per pass.  If you take out the 70 yard run the d is giving up about 3.2 yards per carry.  That is concerning because against bigger OL ' S we will likely give up more yards. 

I get that it was a scrimmage and the stats are inconclusive but from a high level it is concerning to me.  Like to see the tfl's on the defensive stats.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:56:06 PM by penguinpower »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
I'll be the first to admit it................ I may have them way over rated. First consider that they were STUFFED for most of the scrimmage by the LAST PLACE D from the MVFC. Second, the D isn't that much improved. The story line for this year is how much the O has fallen off from last year. No real QB of any real ability and the OL is a work,  in progress, with not a one approaching ALL   Star status. 

Supposedly they weren't showing all the D to keep much of it under wraps for regular season games. That means that the O is much worst than I thought and  4th in the MVFC is over rated. QB questions, an OL in transition and a D not much better than last year. Thank goodness for 3 weenie games. With injuries, it could be ugly.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »
Defense and running game are going to have to carry us this yr until one of the QB's get comfy.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
That's the Paladin we all know.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
That's the Paladin we all know.
Yep. Said similar things about last years Big 10 champs too I believe.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
Remember that Paladin is not a YSU fan.  He proved that conclusively last year when he belittled and mocked our six Horizon League championship squads.  Always consider this context when you read his comments.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »
Anyone know if Taylor, the transfer from Iowa played.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »
LOL, Wick. I'm a YSU football fan, not the minor sports. Keep it in perspective............... ;D

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »
I like Durden and Dortch. The 2 transfer DB's we got. Should both start on the outside, that way Childs can move to the slot. Heard good things about both of them!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
I like Durden and Dortch. The 2 transfer DB's we got. Should both start on the outside, that way Childs can move to the slot. Heard good things about both of them!

This post should be considered Required Reading.