Author Topic: YSU vs Cleveland State  (Read 11591 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Cleveland State
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »
Another disappointing loss.... Check. Another loss in a close game..... Check. Another season down the toilet..... Check. C'mon Jerry apologists, explain it to me again why he should continue being our coach. As the women are fighting for 1st place, due to?..... COACHING.
You know what, go join Todd Hoffman in South America and pan for gold if you want him gone. What do you not understand when we say we don't have the $$$ to do it? Besides, at his age, retirement will soon be approaching. Perhaps 700 wins, could be next year or two. He isn't leaving now.

Really??? So were gonna let him continue to coach so he can get 700 wins??? Sigh. Barnes wasn't an expensive hire, neither was Boldon. Look what they did and are doing for the women! You REALLY believe we can't find a solid young, hungry head coach??? C'mon man. I want YSU to win just as bad as anybody, but the men's program won't go anywhere as long as he is still coaching, I'm sorry. It's fact.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
Another disappointing loss.... Check. Another loss in a close game..... Check. Another season down the toilet..... Check. C'mon Jerry apologists, explain it to me again why he should continue being our coach. As the women are fighting for 1st place, due to?..... COACHING.
You know what, go join Todd Hoffman in South America and pan for gold if you want him gone. What do you not understand when we say we don't have the $$$ to do it? Besides, at his age, retirement will soon be approaching. Perhaps 700 wins, could be next year or two. He isn't leaving now.

Really??? So were gonna let him continue to coach so he can get 700 wins??? Sigh. Barnes wasn't an expensive hire, neither was Boldon. Look what they did and are doing for the women! You REALLY believe we can't find a solid young, hungry head coach??? C'mon man. I want YSU to win just as bad as anybody, but the men's program won't go anywhere as long as he is still coaching, I'm sorry. It's fact.
We were the bottom feeder every year until he came along. Even though we are now a middle of the pack team, we are in much better shape as a program now than before. Additionally, he had 673 at the beginning of the year, so he should be at 688 now. Next year should be the year he hits 700.

Btw, got to love this kid:
@kendrick3perry: Gotta stay together!! We're gonna get over the hump when it matters most!!! Chapters have yet to be written...pass me my pen n paper...

And UIC is embarrassing UWM tonight. Win Saturday vs. Oakland should give us a home game. We would finished tied in the standings and we down the tiebreaker as our best win would be vs. #2 CSU in the league. I could be wrong. Should know more shortly.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:58:18 PM by ValleyTalk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:46 PM »

Last night's win, coupled with the Valpo loss was huge for CSU. They now get the #2 seed, and if need be can rest any of their players battling the flu in the season finale against Valpo.

For YSU, it means the best they can do is now 5th, and if UWM beats Detroit, the best YSU can do is 6th. And, this will require a win over Oakland. Not sure there is much difference between being the #5 or #6 seed. Would still host a home game against a team with whom YSU split the season series, and then have a difficult 2nd round game. The game was there for the taking, YSU just could not seal the deal. With the way this team started the season, and given the mediocrity this year in the HL, a losing record in HL and at best 5th place finish is very disappointing. Especially with YSU having arguably the best player in the HL. This team, and the program just continue to find too many ways to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. This has pretty much been the case since YSU lost in the OVC Championship game way back in the 84-85 season.

CSU hit their FT's in OT, and Grady made a great play on KP at the end of OT. I'm guessing Waters was thinking "here we go again" when CSU turned the ball over to give YSU the ball with 4 seconds left, and down only 1 point. Excellent defense by CSU to keep KP from driving to the basket. Had he been allowed to drive to the hoop, at worst he'd have likely been fouled and had 2 shots to win or at least tie the game. The turnover by Hain with about 45-50 seconds left in OT was huge. The foul called on Hain on the ensuing CSU possession was questionable, but with the way games have been called this season it was imperative to avoid contact in that situation. Hain did NOT lose the game for YSU, unfortunately he just had 2 mistakes many people will remember.
Without his 10 points and 17 rebounds, one can argue YSU would never have been in a position to win this game at the end of regulation, and then again at end of OT.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:28:39 PM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
UWM beat GB. So, if YSU and UWM tie, then UWM ought to win the tie-breaker, as YSU and UWM split their 2 games.

UWM really shot themselves in the foot with the loss to UIC. Now they have to win at Detroit, and then hope Oakland loses to both GB and YSU. UWM would lose tiebreaker to Detroit if UD wins on Thursday, and loses on Saturday.

Oakland owns tiebreaker over Detroit as they beat UD twice in the regular season.

The best YSU can do now is 5th place. They could finish as low as 8th. Here are the remaining games for the teams competing for the 5th and 6th seeds:

YSU(7-9) hosts Oakland on Saturday

UWM(6-9) at Detroit(6-8) on Thursday

Detroit(6-8) - hosts UWM on Thursday and GB on Saturday .... I believe YSU owns tiebreaker over Detroit

Oakland(6-8) - host GB on Thursday.. at YSU on Saturday... If Oakland beats GB, I believe they would own tiebreaker over YSU, even if YSU beats Oakland on Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:32:02 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
0505.     It is not just hiring a new Coach for lesser dollars that involves money...they would need to buy Coach Slocum out.  Do you understand that means excessive spending.  Coaching was not the sole reason for the loss at CSU, Slocum did not miss the EASY lay ups.  According to Coach Waters (in today's paper) God liked the Vikings better than the Penguins.  Geez.  Go figure.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
Slocum is not going anywhere unless he decides to resign. I do not know him personally, but know that he loves to coach and work with young people. And, when I say young people, I mean more than just the players on his team at YSU. A few years ago, my nephew attended the YSU day camp. He was quite scared at first. Coach Slocum recognized this, walked over to my brother and said something such as "I've got this". Not sure what he said or did, just know within a few minutes, Jacob was smiling and the fear was gone. He ended up having KP as his coach for the camp, and now every summer Jacob looks forward to the YSU camp. I know this mayh not mean much to alot of people, but this is the kind of person a school wants representing their University when in such a high profile position.

Not sure how many years he has left on his contract? I could see him deciding to retire once his contract is up, and being the kind of person he is even let the Ron Strollo know in advance he(Slocum) has decided that would be his final season.

YSU does not have the money to fire Slocum, and those wishing for him to resign or be fired ASAP might be careful what they wish for. While not where many would like the program to be(and I'm assuming this includes Slocum), the program is light years ahead of where it was when he was hired. And, with the exception of the first 3 seasons of the Mike Rice era, the program is in as good of shape as it has been since YSU moved to D1 in the 81-82 season. YSU had 3 straight winning seasons from 82-83 to 84-85, and played for the OVC Title in 84-85. The 3 consecutive winning seasons in longest streak of winning seasons since YSU moved to D1. YSU still has a chance for a 3rd straight winning season this year. YSU has only had 8 winning seasons since moving to D1. Only coach to have 3 winning seasons was Mike Rice. Dan Peters had 2, Robic had 1 and Slocum has 2. Slocum and Rice are the only HC's to have back-to-back winning seasons.

The program has had only 1 season of 20 wins since moving to D1. That was in 97-98 under Dan Peters, when YSU lost to Valo in the Mid-Con Tournament Finals. There have been 2 seasons with 19 wins. In 84-85, YSU went 19-11 under Mike Rice, and in 00-01 went 19-11 under John Robic. YSU has had 3 seasons with 18 wins. 18-11 in 1983-84 under Mike Rice, 18-10 in 1994-95 under Dan Peters, and 18-16 last year with Slocum.

Not saying settle for mediocrity, just pointing out how hard it has been for ANY coach to have a high degree of success with winning games at YSU. At least under Slocum, the teams play hard, are competitive and with a few exceptions, have an opportunity late in the game to win when playing in the HL and against other Mid-Major programs. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:01:38 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »
UWM beat GB. So, if YSU and UWM tie, then UWM ought to win the tie-breaker, as YSU and UWM split their 2 games.

UWM really shot themselves in the foot with the loss to UIC. Now they have to win at Detroit, and then hope Oakland loses to both GB and YSU. UWM would lose tiebreaker to Detroit if UD wins on Thursday, and loses on Saturday.

Oakland owns tiebreaker over Detroit as they beat UD twice in the regular season.

The best YSU can do now is 5th place. They could finish as low as 8th. Here are the remaining games for the teams competing for the 5th and 6th seeds:

YSU(7-9) hosts Oakland on Saturday

UWM(6-9) at Detroit(6-8) on Thursday

Detroit(6-8) - hosts UWM on Thursday and GB on Saturday .... I believe YSU owns tiebreaker over Detroit

Oakland(6-8) - host GB on Thursday.. at YSU on Saturday... If Oakland beats GB, I believe they would own tiebreaker over YSU, even if YSU beats Oakland on Saturday.

I do not think it is common opponenst over head-to-head ...it could be

Lets_Talk

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:45 PM »
Head-to-head is the first tie breaker. If I did not make that clear in my post, then I apologize. In a 2 way tie, UWM gets the nod since the teams split and UWM went 1-1 against GB, compared to 0-2 for YSU.

If Oakland loses to GB, then beats YSU, that would give Oakland a 2-0 record against YSU and the higher seed. And, if Oakland beats GB, then loses to YSU, the teams would be 1-1 head-to-head, but Oakland 1-1 vs GB and YSU 0-2. Either way, it is best for YSU to beat Oakland on Saturday, and then get ready for their first round opponent. Take care of what they can control, and let everything else fall where it falls.

I found a link to the tiebreakers. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head. If the teams split, then the records against the highest finishing team are compared. If the records are the same against the first place team, then compare against second place team and on down the line.

Gets a bit more complicated for breaking a 3 way tie, compare the combined record of each of the tied teams against the other teams involved in the tie until an advantage is gained. My post only took into account a 2 team tie. I'll let someone else figure things out for a 3 team tie.

The link is from 2013, so disregard the info on each team
http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-mens-basketball-tournament-scenarios-tie-breakers.html
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:04:22 PM by Lets_Talk »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
Does anyone really expect UWM to beat Detroit? UWM just got smacked by the worst team in the league and seems to be waving the white flag. Additionally, Oakland and Detroit have to take on UWGB before the season ends this weekend.

I expect it to finish as follows:
5/6. YSU 7-9 (Beat OAK, host them or UWM on Tuesday)
5/6. UDM 7-9 (Beat UWM, Lose to UWGB)
7/8. OAK 6-10 (Lose to UWGB and YSU)
7/8. UWM 6-10 (Lose to UDM)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
There is a reason games are played on the basketball court and not on paper, or based on the opinions of people.

UWM 68 - Detroit 62 ... FINAL

GB 62 - Oakland 58 ....  5:45 remaining .... Oakland was up 13 points at halftime
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:37:27 PM by Lets_Talk »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »
There is a reason games are played on the basketball court and not on paper, or based on the opinions of people.

UWM 68 - Detroit 62 ... FINAL

GB 62 - Oakland 58 ....  5:45 remaining .... Oakland was up 13 points at halftime
Touché.... Perhaps the outcomes worked out in our favor...

UWM is pretty much a lock for a home game at 7-9, meaning OU, YSU, and UDM are all competing for that last home game. We all sit at 6-9 in the conference.

UWGB takes on UDM Saturday and if they play the way they did the second half, I don't see the Phoenix losing.

Meaning the winner of Oakland vs. YSU should get the final home game. Which would likely be the exact same matchup on Tuesday at Beeghly (or Oakland) as Oakland owns the tiebreaker over UDM being they swept the season series this year, and YSU owns the tiebreaker over UDM with our win over CSU.

Please don't hold me to this haha!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:05:02 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »
It's gonna be the KP vs Bader show

Lets_Talk

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 03:58:00 AM »
I agree that YSU and Oakland are most likely playing on Saturday to see who will host an Oakland - YSU game in the 1st round. Obviously anything can happen, but the odds of Detroit beating GB are rather slim.

I watched the last 10 minutes or so of the UWM - UD game after switching away from the YSU-UIC game. It was a good game. Detroit had chances to win, but the game slipped away from them in the final 60-90 seconds.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 07:31:31 AM »
This is Slolcum's chance to prove he can win a big game.  Oakland is coming in here with less than 48 hrs rest while we have had 4 days rest.  We have home court, senior night, etc.  Don't blow this Slocum!!!!