Author Topic: YSU CROWDS  (Read 12889 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU CROWDS
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »
Now Chief, I would be sending hate mail if he did schedule them without a return. Do you not remember the 1994-5 slap in the face? I have no sympathy, nor am a I living in a world of illusion that we will win more than we lose, even against Kent. As you said, these are FBS programs. If I am not mistaken, we control the Steel Tire trophy (over Akron) and Kent controls the Schwebel's Challenge trophy (over YSU). I mean a trophy game only held in one location? I mean if it was a neutral location maybe, but why bother; Akron, Kent and YSU have the largest stadiums in the region. It just makes sense to keep the rotation. Possibly the Hall-of-Fame stadium? Still would favor Akron, but not so much for Kent.

In general, I am happy that we do pay attention to other teams when scheduling. I know this is hard for other teams in the conference to understand and my hat is off for the administration in this area.

Kent would be our little b on any field.  We crush them in Massey ratings, and they lost to a MEAC school a few weeks ago.  You gotta be really down on YSU FB to think a MEAC school can beat them, but we wouldn't.  No MAC East school is ranked above NDSU, and the MVFC as a whole is ranked above the MAC East.

Interestingly, Miami(OH) got crushed by IA, and a Valley team beat IA. Using Massey, we are ranked #105 in D1 (FCS + FBS) and Miami (OH) is ranked way way lower at #154. Honestly it may not even be sporting.  Kent is #149.  Buffalo, BG, EMU, Ball St..all ranked below YSU. 

You could change the dynamic of non-P5 recruiting in Ohio by whooping these chumps. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »
Now Chief, I would be sending hate mail if he did schedule them without a return. Do you not remember the 1994-5 slap in the face? I have no sympathy, nor am a I living in a world of illusion that we will win more than we lose, even against Kent. As you said, these are FBS programs. If I am not mistaken, we control the Steel Tire trophy (over Akron) and Kent controls the Schwebel's Challenge trophy (over YSU). I mean a trophy game only held in one location? I mean if it was a neutral location maybe, but why bother; Akron, Kent and YSU have the largest stadiums in the region. It just makes sense to keep the rotation. Possibly the Hall-of-Fame stadium? Still would favor Akron, but not so much for Kent.

In general, I am happy that we do pay attention to other teams when scheduling. I know this is hard for other teams in the conference to understand and my hat is off for the administration in this area.

Well 1AA I agree with your first paragraph but not the second. I also have a long memory, I will not pay homage to those schools - period. Would love to play them but only home and home. I do not feel that we would "own" either of them, I think that the games would be very competitive which ironically would only make the series that much more attractive to area fans. Win win for all schools.

I think that all of our home games should be scheduled at 1:00. If you are more interested in watching someone else on TV then experiencing a YSU game in person, so be it. These fans are most likely the same ones that are headed for the exits at the end of the 3rd QTR.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »
We aren't in the 90's anymore. That's the problem with the Youngstown area. Don't want to accept change.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
I would play them anywhere. Its about the only thing short of a deep playoff run that would get casual local fans interest.

Online streaming has changed how we watch games as well. I no longer have to drive 6+ hours to watch a road game.

I wonder if there's any way we could see what the viewership is for our home broadcasts this year? ESPN would readily have that info...number of connections, where the people are from geographically based on IP address, did they close it in the 3rd Q?  ;D

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 04:13:08 PM »
I understand where you are coming from Happy. However, the trophy would have to stop and I think that you are overestimating public support of an away game in Kent or Akron. Yes, the level of interest would be higher than maybe RMU in Pittsburgh. However not as high as an away Big-6 game, or as high as a home game with Kent or Akron. It is not fair to the long-term Penguin fans, but I see no justification and a very high degree of risk of fan loss. You see, many fans do not see these two clubs as a pair of IA/FBS schools with 22 more scholarships ...they view them as the bottom of the football power hierarchy.

Now if our team begins to improve, then maybe we can consider 2 money games ...as the western conferences do. Even the Dakotas and UNI have done it. However, if we lose both, then we have no choice but a 1 or 2 loss conference record, or it is no play-off with 4 losses.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:17:58 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »
Can't was paid $1.5M to get flogged at AL.  Mathematically, why would it make any sense for them to come here for an OOC game as part of a home and home?

If you check with the NCAA, all MAC teams are FBS.  Them having a home and home would be as outrageous as YSU having a home and home with a D2 school.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/09/24/kent-state-gets-paid-1-5-million-for-playing-at-alabama/91028222/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:24:13 PM by guinpen »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
I would play them anywhere. Its about the only thing short of a deep playoff run that would get casual local fans interest.

I agree that it would cause some local fan interest for that game, which would be great for K and A if the only placed we played them was at their house. Only helps us with butts in the seats if a game is played here, yeah yeah I know we would get some money to play there.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:24:41 PM by guinpen »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »
Can't was paid $1.5M to get flogged at AL.  Mathematically, why would it make any sense for them to come here for an OOC game as part of a home and home?

If you check with the NCAA, all MAC teams are FBS.  Them having a home and home would be as outrageous as YSU having a home and home with a D2 school.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/09/24/kent-state-gets-paid-1-5-million-for-playing-at-alabama/91028222/

They used to be home and home with the MAC and we would beat their ass so they stopped it.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 08:05:38 PM »

You are correct it would be crazy for K to play here, them being a FBS school and all.