Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
YSU Penguin Athletics / Re: YSU Baseball
« Last post by IAA Fan on Today at 09:59:59 AM »
Ironically, for Akron Kent put major effort into both golf and baseball. Although their baseball team has not been so good since they lost that last coach, he took them to the college World Series and boom he was gone, but they’re still always very good. You would think schools like Youngstown and Akron would take advantage of the recruiting ability because of Kent. I mean Kent cannot afford to recruit all of the top baseball players in the area and I’m told, although I’ve never been there, that Kent’s New Golf facility is pretty impressive. Has anybody out there seen it?
« Last post by Penquin68 on Today at 08:12:10 AM »
Akron dropped baseball a few year ago along with men's golf. They have since brought baseball back and even had a donner who financed ASTRO turf on their field.

All the local colleges are in trouble financially.  Not enough high school graduates to keep enrollment up to support many low enrollment majors and athletics. Cleveland State is setting aside millions for faculty by outs as they cut low enrollment programs. We have also cut some programs trying to avert financial problems. There are many issues and I feel we are fortunate to have the sports we have in the current financial reality.
« Last post by PENS16 on May 26, 2024, 07:44:20 PM »
Wick is right on the money as usual. Until we know what is our baseball budget is it is tough to make comparisons. I’m just glad that we still have baseball in our budget. With the challenging landscape of college sports, to still have football, men’s and women basketball, track and field, baseball and softball is a credit to the university. I wish we would we competitive year in and year out in all our sports, but at least year round I can find a sport to root for.
YSU Penguin Athletics / Re: FCS Football
« Last post by Dmorton on May 26, 2024, 06:46:06 PM »
Yep!  I remember that!  We were supposed to be good that year! yeah! right! 
« Last post by goodnews on May 26, 2024, 03:30:13 PM »
Akron dropped Mens Golf and a quite a few other sports.  Based on what I read CSU will be lucky if they have an Athletic Department in 5 years. 
« Last post by Double ET on May 26, 2024, 03:16:20 PM »
There are lots of things that go into this. However, the biggest thing to know is that a few people stood up for the baseball team when it look like YSU was going to drop baseball the same year as Cleveland state and one of the other schools that dropped it I forget. So there’s definitely a financial situation involved here. Baseball is equivalency sport, so Bertolini can really distribute the scholarships (if there are any) as he sees fit.

The one thing that should be noted here is that FCS football is also an equivalency sport. So you can imagine that football alone has as many scholarships as all of our other men’s equivalency sports combined. But this is a football school . and with the most recent focus on women’s sports, one can imagine there’s been nothing going into baseball financially.

I could be wrong… I thought U of Akron dropped baseball the same time as CSU.
I recall that a few Akron players transferred to YSU that year.
« Last post by Double ET on May 26, 2024, 03:12:23 PM »
Playing Mercyhurst would be worse that playing Valpo!

I watched us losing to Butler, need I say more.
« Last post by Dmorton on May 26, 2024, 02:58:03 PM »
Xavier used to have football!  They played Marshall in the past!
« Last post by Dmorton on May 26, 2024, 02:56:39 PM »
Playing Mercyhurst would be worse that playing Valpo! 
YSU Penguin Athletics / FCS Football
« Last post by goodnews on May 26, 2024, 01:43:26 PM »
Mercyhurst is transitioning to D1 sports and joining the NEC Conference in all sports including football.  I would expect to see them on future YSU Football schedules.  In addition, Robert Morris is rejoining the NEC in football and leaving what use to be the OVC.  I also read where Chicago State and Xavier are both likely to be adding football.  Things are changing and quick.  Hope the Athletic Department can withstand this financially. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10