Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
YSU Penguin Athletics / Re: YSU Baseball
« Last post by PENS16 on May 26, 2024, 07:44:20 PM »
Wick is right on the money as usual. Until we know what is our baseball budget is it is tough to make comparisons. I’m just glad that we still have baseball in our budget. With the challenging landscape of college sports, to still have football, men’s and women basketball, track and field, baseball and softball is a credit to the university. I wish we would we competitive year in and year out in all our sports, but at least year round I can find a sport to root for.
YSU Penguin Athletics / Re: FCS Football
« Last post by Dmorton on May 26, 2024, 06:46:06 PM »
Yep!  I remember that!  We were supposed to be good that year! yeah! right! 
« Last post by goodnews on May 26, 2024, 03:30:13 PM »
Akron dropped Mens Golf and a quite a few other sports.  Based on what I read CSU will be lucky if they have an Athletic Department in 5 years. 
« Last post by Double ET on May 26, 2024, 03:16:20 PM »
There are lots of things that go into this. However, the biggest thing to know is that a few people stood up for the baseball team when it look like YSU was going to drop baseball the same year as Cleveland state and one of the other schools that dropped it I forget. So there’s definitely a financial situation involved here. Baseball is equivalency sport, so Bertolini can really distribute the scholarships (if there are any) as he sees fit.

The one thing that should be noted here is that FCS football is also an equivalency sport. So you can imagine that football alone has as many scholarships as all of our other men’s equivalency sports combined. But this is a football school . and with the most recent focus on women’s sports, one can imagine there’s been nothing going into baseball financially.

I could be wrong… I thought U of Akron dropped baseball the same time as CSU.
I recall that a few Akron players transferred to YSU that year.
« Last post by Double ET on May 26, 2024, 03:12:23 PM »
Playing Mercyhurst would be worse that playing Valpo!

I watched us losing to Butler, need I say more.
« Last post by Dmorton on May 26, 2024, 02:58:03 PM »
Xavier used to have football!  They played Marshall in the past!
« Last post by Dmorton on May 26, 2024, 02:56:39 PM »
Playing Mercyhurst would be worse that playing Valpo! 
YSU Penguin Athletics / FCS Football
« Last post by goodnews on May 26, 2024, 01:43:26 PM »
Mercyhurst is transitioning to D1 sports and joining the NEC Conference in all sports including football.  I would expect to see them on future YSU Football schedules.  In addition, Robert Morris is rejoining the NEC in football and leaving what use to be the OVC.  I also read where Chicago State and Xavier are both likely to be adding football.  Things are changing and quick.  Hope the Athletic Department can withstand this financially. 
« Last post by IAA Fan on May 26, 2024, 12:09:08 PM »
There are lots of things that go into this. However, the biggest thing to know is that a few people stood up for the baseball team when it look like YSU was going to drop baseball the same year as Cleveland state and one of the other schools that dropped it I forget. So there’s definitely a financial situation involved here. Baseball is equivalency sport, so Bertolini can really distribute the scholarships (if there are any) as he sees fit.

The one thing that should be noted here is that FCS football is also an equivalency sport. So you can imagine that football alone has as many scholarships as all of our other men’s equivalency sports combined. But this is a football school . and with the most recent focus on women’s sports, one can imagine there’s been nothing going into baseball financially.
« Last post by Wick250 on May 25, 2024, 11:11:40 PM »
Cambell is the softball coach.  The baseball coach is Dan Bertolini. Since I do not know what resources YSU gives him compared to the other programs in the league, it is hard to decide on his fate. No doubt our tallent level is not up to the top teams. Also with NIL and transfer rules, if the coach does not adapt, it could be trouble. At this point the baseball program needs a change.  Need to depend on Ron Strollo since he knows the facts of the situation and I sure do not.

Here is the problem that will never go away. At Northern Kentucky and Wright State, baseball is the #2 men's sport and is undoubtedly financed accordingly. For us baseball is at best our #4 priority, behind track and field (and rightly so.) It would seem logical to assume that baseball is under-financed. In that case, perhaps we could do no better than Bertolini. But if resources are approximately equal, then the coach should go. As you note, only Strollo knows that information.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10