Author Topic: Could Bo Pelini be coming to YSU?  (Read 11805 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Could Bo Pelini be coming to YSU?
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »
  I was at the Boardman vs Harding basketball game Friday, and a guy in front of me, who sounded like he was informed and talking to the right people, swears YSU is in serious talks with Bo Pelini.

I know, it sounds like a long shot.  But this guy says money not an issue, getting paid from Nebraska.  He and his wife are from the Mahoning Valley, and if he got YSU rolling again it would open the door to another FBS job in a few years.   He also said Bo wants to be a head coach, and an FBS job not likely next year.

This guy says Strollo, working with President Tressel have put all their focus on Pelini, and are working with community leaders to get it done.   He did add that it is probably 50/50 at best that he takes the YSU job, but if Pelini is even considering it, that would be a huge get for Strollo and YSU.

Whether you like Pelini or not, and it is debatable whether he did a good job at Nebraska, this kind of hire
would give our program a huge boost, at least in my opinion.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Could Bo Pelini be coming to YSU?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »
  I was at the Boardman vs Harding basketball game Friday, and a guy in front of me, who sounded like he was informed and talking to the right people, swears YSU is in serious talks with Bo Pelini.

I know, it sounds like a long shot.  But this guy says money not an issue, getting paid from Nebraska.  He and his wife are from the Mahoning Valley, and if he got YSU rolling again it would open the door to another FBS job in a few years.   He also said Bo wants to be a head coach, and an FBS job not likely next year.

This guy says Strollo, working with President Tressel have put all their focus on Pelini, and are working with community leaders to get it done.   He did add that it is probably 50/50 at best that he takes the YSU job, but if Pelini is even considering it, that would be a huge get for Strollo and YSU.

Whether you like Pelini or not, and it is debatable whether he did a good job at Nebraska, this kind of hire

I won't hold my breath but I'd like to see Bo give it a shot. Time will tell... I just can't figure out how, NDSU, Montana, GSU, Marshall, and Boise State could change coaches and stay on top of their game.. I always considered YSU an equal to those programs in Football at 1FCS? Maybe Youngstown is going down hill  :-X

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »
Not happening.   8)
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:55 AM »
It makes no sense career wise for him to do this. If anything he will go to an upper FBS program and run their D..and wait for a job.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
Hmm I doubt it but hey, you never know!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

No offense, I cannot and do not believe this. Sure, I hope I am wrong, but this is the equivalent of the Nebraska fans last week claiming from multiple sources that Tressel was their next head coach!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »
Another Valley guy ?  ;D

First, he is an A..hole. Second.. he couldn't get it done as a coach. And third, he projects poorly with a foul mouth. Yep, another Youngstown guy.

No wonder YSU is 3rd rate.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
Another Valley guy ?  ;D

First, he is an A..hole. Second.. he couldn't get it done as a coach. And third, he projects poorly with a foul mouth. Yep, another Youngstown guy.

No wonder YSU is 3rd rate.
3rd rate???

And you call yourself a "fan."

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
Wow, this from Football Scoop. Looks like this is getting some traction.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-youngstown-state-bo-pelini/

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
Here is the big question: what now is Pelini's goal for the remainder of his career?  Would he be content to be a defensive coordinator at a big time school and earn a very good salary?  Or does he have a burning desire to become a head coach again at a big time program?  If it is the latter, accepting a head coaching position at a lower level and winning big is a good career move.  Especially since Nebraska would apparently be paying for it for several years. That could convince athletic directors at big time schools that he is capable after all and that Nebraska was an aberration.  Right now I doubt that, after Nebraska, he could get a head coaching position at any place higher than a non-big time FBS school.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
I will take back everything I said if he does return to YSU. Also note the following tweet:
@vinceguerrieri
I hear Bo Pelini was at #YSU yesterday checking out the facilities... #sources

FWIW, this guy is verified on Twitter. Thus, you can take what he has to say with more than a grain of salt than the infamous Hard Rock Rocksino Marketing Director that said Tressel to Nebraska was a done deal Thursday last week!

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »
I will take back everything I said if he does return to YSU. Also note the following tweet:
@vinceguerrieri
I hear Bo Pelini was at #YSU yesterday checking out the facilities... #sources

FWIW, this guy is verified on Twitter. Thus, you can take what he has to say with more than a grain of salt than the infamous Hard Rock Rocksino Marketing Director that said Tressel to Nebraska was a done deal Thursday last week!

I don't know if Bo Pelini is coming to YSU to coach, but I can vouch for Vince Guerrieri. He's a Youngstown guy with some credentials, not some guy living in his mom's basement or working five different fake message board accounts.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »
Frank Solich ended up at Ohio U. after his tenure at Nebraska was terminated so I guess stranger things have happened.  Don't know if this would be a good fit or not for YSU, but I would believe he would bring good assistants with him and, as mentioned here, that would shorten the next coaching search.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
@JoeScalzo1
The more I dig, the more interesting these Pelini rumors get. There's legit smoke here. I still say he says no, but I'm prepared to be wrong

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
Frank Solich ended up at Ohio U. after his tenure at Nebraska was terminated so I guess stranger things have happened.  Don't know if this would be a good fit or not for YSU, but I would believe he would bring good assistants with him and, as mentioned here, that would shorten the next coaching search.

And former Auburn coach, Bowden ended up at akron
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne