Author Topic: Another rough November for Wolford (from this morning's Vindicator)  (Read 25543 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: Another rough November for Wolford (from this morning's Vindicator)
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »
Hunter Wells made a decision. The corner did not make the play on the ball. The DE made an athletic, great football play. Not a mistake, it was a good play. Does that kid ever make that play ever again, probably not. But I will in no way blame that kid for the play. And neither will the players on the team as I spoke with half of the them as we all sat around and watched the Fl State Miami game together.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
Ohio, sorry to see you go. IMO, there is absolutely no reason for anyone on this board to NEED any previous playing or coaching experience to KNOW that if you can't make the playoffs then you can't coach here.  Pretty simple. Also, i don't believe it matters where a person lives or has lived to understand what the expectations are at YSU.  Again i think its pretty simple:

Mr. Candidate,

Don't pay too close attention to those Championship Banners...we know that was quite special and perhaps not easy to duplicate.  However, i would like you to answer the following questions:

Question 1.  How many times did YSU make the playoffs in the 1990's?
Question 2.  How many times did YSU make the playoffs in the 2000's?
Question 3.  How many times did YSU make the playoffs since 2010?
Question 4.  How many times did the two previous coaches make the playoffs?
Question 5.  Any questions???

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
"You don't know that the kid that might have gotten a personal foul was in the coach's office the day before because his dad beat the sh** out of his mom last night and is now in jail."

Then the kid shouldn't have been playing that game.  That's a lot to deal with, I agree.

"Or the quarterback that threw an interception is worried about his girlfriend that is in the hospital having a baby. "

Then the kid shouldn't have been playing that game.  That's a lot to deal with, I agree.

"Or the punt returner that fumbled got a call from his mom last night that his family was evicted and he needs to send his Pell Grant money home (just a few things that happened in one week while  I was playing). "

Do you seem the theme there???

Lets_Talk

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 03:44:02 AM »
Head Coaches do NOT call players out in the media, or throw them under the bus. If they think a player or players are to blame, they give evasive answers to the media, and then discuss the issue/issues with the player/players behind closed doors.

The EASIEST way to lose a team is by bad mouthing the players in the media after a loss. Wolford has been doing this his ENTIRE time at YSU. For that matter, he bad mouthed Heacock and the players inherited from Heacock upon taking the job.

He came in talking brash, which is fine, provided the talk is backed up by performance. Fair or unfair, the HC gets the praise when a team performs well, and gets the blame when the team does not meet expectations. Any person who has ever coached knows this is the case. And, in each sport, players at certain positions get more credit than they may deserve for wins, and more of the blame for losses. It is like this in sports. It is like this in pretty much every profession.

If a K-12 school does not perform well academically, has a host of discipline problems, and is just a mess in general, the Principal is going to take the fall. If a company is doing poorly with sales, the Sales Manager is going to take the fall. If a company is performing poorly in another area, the department manager/managers are going to take the blame. Especially when it is their 5th year on the job, they have been given pretty much everything they asked for in terms of budget, facilities and other upgrades asked for in order to produce for the company. Alot of people on here have or are are blaming Ron Strollo for the coaching failures of Heacock, Wolford, Slocum, Hill, Martin. And, that is understandable, because Ron Strollo is the AD, and he is the person who made the decision to hire these coaches. Fair or unfair, that is the way it works, and ANY person hired as AD of a D1 college sports program knows this when taking the job.

Eric Wolford has dug his own grave if this ends up being his final season as HC at YSU. And, unlike with Coach Heacock, I do not think there will be many people shedding a tear for Wolford. Not because people wanted the team to lose, but because Wolford has done plenty to irk a whole host of people over the past 5 years, and not being able to get the team to the playoffs is only ONE of those things.

He and his team still have one game left to play, with an opportunity to win and make the playoffs. If YSU fails to beat NDSU, I see no reason keeping Wolford can be justified. And, if YSU loses and he is kept on for another season, there will be even fewer tickets sold for next years games, and even fewer people that actually attend the games. That will be a negative for the entire athletic department.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »
If Wolf had a different OC, we woulda made the playoffs a long time ago. How many times is this man going to get let off the hook because he sets records beating up Valpo and Butler but when it comes down to crunch time.... his offense crumbles like a cookie. Sigh.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »
  All coaching jobs come with certain expectations.   The expectation at YSU when it comes to football is make the playoffs on a consistent basis. If a potential coach can't handle that, we don't want him.   All the resources are here to be a perennial playoff team.

Great tradition, excellent facilities, and a strong recruiting base.  Neither Heacock or Wolford could meet those expecations.  Heacock was only given 9 years because he was Tressel's guy and everyone liked him.  If we hire a new coach and he goes 7-5 every year and doesn't make the playoffs, he too will be fired.

Do you think 7-5 would be good enough at Alabama, Ohio State, USC??  Then why should it be good enough here.  7-5 is great at Indiana State, not Youngstown State.

If we lose Saturday, Wolford has no shot to survive.  Not only are we not making the playoffs, we have lost much of our fan base.   Wolford came in talking national titles, he hasn't delivered, bottom line.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:13:29 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »
Throw out the first 4 games, and we are 4-3. That's within our conference.

If we lose next week its a .500 season in my eyes. I don't really count those first 4 games and I hate them, as most here probably do. The committee says they count those weenie games, I'm sure they take them with a big grain of salt. I would.

If we win we are 5-3. Not sure a 5-3 team should be in. A bubble team sure. We shouldn't act like a crime was committed if we are passed over yet again.

And 4-4 in your conference shouldn't ever get in, this isn't college basketball.

Losing 3 of our last 4, if we can manage to upset NDSU, doesn't help either.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »
Actually,05, YSU would have made the playoffs multiple times under Wolf if he had had a decent DC. The o scored enough but the d couldn't stop anyone and we got out scored. The talent here has been seriously upgraded but coaching has killed them. Most players are back for next year, but a coaching change puts the program back to square one.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 10:37:03 AM »
 I would disagree that a coaching change puts you back to square one.   The 'right coach' can quickly win.  Indiana State is on the verge of the playoffs in just Mike Sanford's  second year, Jim Tressel won a national title in his second year at Ohio State.

I would agree our talent on offense has been upgraded, but YSU has average players at best on defense.  Our secondary has never been good under Wolford, maybe it is the lack of talent and not blame the 3 defensive coordinators we have had the past five years.   Other than Derek Rivers, we have no game changers.   Also, never have been tough enough up front, and linebacker play not that good.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
Most teams only have one or two game changers. Duh!  Ohio St. Is always stocked, don't kid yourself and INS isn't in the playoffs yet. New staff will install their o and d regardless of what talent is here or if the talent fits. It's what THEY are comfortable with. Of course, firing the staff gets to se who is right about his point. I am game.  With the exception of #8, the secondary is not that bad and Moore has been outstanding. Much improved over previous years.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
 Paladin, not going to get into a battle with you.  My point, other than Rivers the past 5 years, who were are standout defenders?   As for ther secondardy, #1, Julius Childs can't play at this level.  His coverage liabilities have been exposed all season, teams pick on him every games.

Prior to Tressel arriving at Ohio State, they were playing in bowl games against Air Force under John Cooper and losing to Michigan every year, so something changed.    Great coaches can win right away, just need to find a great coach.

49er underachieved for a decade with bad head coaches, Jim Harbaugh comes in and first year a playoff team.  Luke Fickel a deer in the headlights goes 6-6 at Ohio State, Urban Meyer wins right away.   Same can be said the other way.   Tressel hands Heacock the keys to the kingdom, and program quickly takes a hit.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
If Wolf had a different OC, we woulda made the playoffs a long time ago. How many times is this man going to get let off the hook because he sets records beating up Valpo and Butler but when it comes down to crunch time.... his offense crumbles like a cookie. Sigh.

I know we can go on this all day, but I do not agree. Only a a couple times have we not scored enough points to win games. It has been our inability to stop the opposition that has killed us. It really does not matter when you score the points; as long as you score them. Yes, Coach M runs a system and that can lack flexibility; but he is good at what he does and I am still thankful that we were able to lure him and use him. BTW, he puts up record numbers against many teams ...even games we did not win ...does this not prove my point? Look at 2010 non-weenie games:

YSU losses:
Penn State: Averaged 4.6 ypp and 264 yards (14-points)
NDSU: Averaged 7.7 ypp and 426 yards (29-points)
SDSU: Averaged 4.1 ypp and 402 yards (20-points)
UNI: Averaged 6.6 ypp and 431 yards (30-points)

We also lost to ILS and WIU, with even higher offensive output ...but since you would classify those as "weenie games" I left them off. With the exception of Penn State ...we scored enough points to win these games. Maybe it would have been a lot ...asking a defense to hold SDSU under 20, but we had 4 TO's in a 4-point loss. We can do the same thing in every one of the past 4-years.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:05:34 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
1AA, I would have to agree.  I'm not totally into what Montgomery has done overall, but within the Wolford era, I would complain the least about this offense.

I always looked at it this way.  From worst to best:

Initially:
1. Special Teams
2. Defense
3. Offense

Now
1. Defense
2. Special Teams (and except for last year could be 1b at this point)
3. Offense

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
Paladin, not going to get into a battle with you.  My point, other than Rivers the past 5 years, who were are standout defenders?   As for ther secondardy, #1, Julius Childs can't play at this level.  His coverage liabilities have been exposed all season, teams pick on him every games.

Prior to Tressel arriving at Ohio State, they were playing in bowl games against Air Force under John Cooper and losing to Michigan every year, so something changed.    Great coaches can win right away, just need to find a great coach.

49er underachieved for a decade with bad head coaches, Jim Harbaugh comes in and first year a playoff team.  Luke Fickel a deer in the headlights goes 6-6 at Ohio State, Urban Meyer wins right away.   Same can be said the other way.   Tressel hands Heacock the keys to the kingdom, and program quickly takes a hit.

Since your name is not "fansince1985" I will cut you a break  ;). However, They were calling for Tressel's head until, even in 1989. He sure did not win right away ...outside of his first year with Duzzer's players. To back your point ...I am not going to use that excuse ...as you said it takes a certain kind of coach to turn these guys into winners (regardless of who recruited them) and Tressel did it at both schools. For those of you that did not follow him ...the first thing that Tressel did at OSU was gather ever senior (many of which were on the practice squad under Cooper) and gave them a chance to play. After that his players would die for him.

In opposition, how many defensive players did we lose that first week under Wolf? We all cut him some slack ...and deservedly so ...but there was something going on back then.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:18:47 PM by IAA Fan »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »
Head Coaches do NOT call players out in the media, or throw them under the bus. If they think a player or players are to blame, they give evasive answers to the media, and then discuss the issue/issues with the player/players behind closed doors.

The EASIEST way to lose a team is by bad mouthing the players in the media after a loss. Wolford has been doing this his ENTIRE time at YSU. For that matter, he bad mouthed Heacock and the players inherited from Heacock upon taking the job.

W. has also badmouthed the fans at times--not the ones who don't show but the ones who show up in the ice and snow because they don't scream enough on third down.