Author Topic: Indiana State  (Read 49140 times)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana State
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »
Even if we beat ND St. we are not going to the playoffs.  They are not taking YSU over UNI, Ind. St or even SD St.  All these teams are on track to close out the season with wins. 

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
RED, you are correct, the best team won today. However you are wrong about the AD. He is a major part of the problems here.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »
Heacock and Wolf get fired, but the AD stays put?  If a corporation's stocks tank....do you fire the regional manager but keep the CEO?

Disagree with you about the AD. YSU sports are generally doing well on all fronts except football and men's bball. He does a lot with very little.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »
The reason we lost was because of 3 fumbuls.  Bottom linr

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
Doing alot with a little sounds like good old fashioned excuse making to me.  What little? whats alot?  YSU will never have a Big Ten Budget so thats a moot point.  What could be done better if he had more money to do it with?  Hiring?  Doubtful.  Hes done great things for facilities but unless you know how to utilize them whats the point.  4 national championships were won without a WATTS.  How many won with it?  How much money has been spent on "recruiting accessories"  e.g Locker rooms, weight rooms, lounges, bells and whistles? Money isn't a factor when it comes to knowing how to win.  Some know how. Some don't. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »
Heacock and Wolf get fired, but the AD stays put?  If a corporation's stocks tank....do you fire the regional manager but keep the CEO?

Disagree with you about the AD. YSU sports are generally doing well on all fronts except football and men's bball. He does a lot with very little.

FB and MBB are the two signature sports at YSU.  FB went from playoff and championship caliber under JT as the AD (who also had a second full time job) to 1 playoff and no championships/14 years under Strollo.  I'm glad the Olympic sports are doing well, but the collapse of FB outweighs that.

Imagine a fireman saying, "The neighborhood burned down but  I rescued the cat from the tree!"  I know that type of underachievement  wouldn't fly at my job.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »

I disagree... we made it to OT with the 3 fumbles. We lost because of the interception Hunter Wells threw!!! OT is the beginning of a "new" game. We got one play. It wasn't Wolford's fault. It wasn't Monty"s fault. It was Hunter's fault! He was handed the job without earning it because he was the area's "boy" and yesterday we paid for it. Paladin called it back in August and it came true. The coaches will pay for their decision with their jobs as it should be, but people should put the blame where it truly lies. The interception cost us the game and the season...bottom line.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »

FB and MBB are the two signature sports at YSU.  FB went from playoff and championship caliber under JT as the AD (who also had a second full time job) to 1 playoff and no championships/14 years under Strollo.  I'm glad the Olympic sports are doing well, but the collapse of FB outweighs that.

Imagine a fireman saying, "The neighborhood burned down but  I rescued the cat from the tree!"  I know that type of underachievement  wouldn't fly at my job.

The president, being the previous AD at this school will be able to judge Strollo and determine if he is or is not effective and determine what the best course of action is for the department. I have full faith in Tressel

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »

I disagree... we made it to OT with the 3 fumbles. We lost because of the interception Hunter Wells threw!!! OT is the beginning of a "new" game. We got one play. It wasn't Wolford's fault. It wasn't Monty"s fault. It was Hunter's fault! He was handed the job without earning it because he was the area's "boy" and yesterday we paid for it. Paladin called it back in August and it came true. The coaches will pay for their decision with their jobs as it should be, but people should put the blame where it truly lies. The interception cost us the game and the season...bottom line.
Heard from a solid inside source that a run play was called and Wells checked off to the pass.  Freshman mistake.  I think everyone in the place thought we would run since Ruiz and the Oline took over late in the game???  Bad decision.  I do not blame the freshman..I blame the O coordinator who should have told him..don't throw the ball!!!

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »
The bottom line is we wasted the opportunity to take control of the game early on with the 3 fumbles. For whatever reason this team lacks the enthusiasm needed on this level. Hats off to the Indiana state defense. Wells had very little time to throw all day and they did a great job pressing our receivers all game..we had problems getting any kind of separation.  That's something we don't do enough of on defense or maybe just don't have the personnel to do so. Wells was a big part of the wins over S.D.S.U. , S.I., and S.D. and if it wasn't for his 2 4th Quarter drives there wouldn't have been a overtime. I dont think it was the worst play call or throw in the world the defender made a great play end of story-off to N.D.S.U.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »
3 fumbles..poor special team play and we get lit up for 350+ yards passing..down by what 14 in the 4th qtr..and we almost pulled it off.  Wells isnt the reason we lost. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
The kid made an athletic play at the end of the game, and 9 out of 10 times he doesn't make that play.. But what are you gonna do, thats not the reason we lost last night.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2014, 10:53:06 AM »

The president, being the previous AD at this school will be able to judge Strollo and determine if he is or is not effective and determine what the best course of action is for the department. I have full faith in Tressel

That's a good point on Tressel.

As for my position, I take the minor sports seriously as part of the whole.
(1) They are attracting real student athletes, not low-performing General Education and Criminal Justice majors (no offense intended for those who really want to be in those areas and perform well, e.g., folks like KP or Liz Hornberger).
(2) We have become one of the top sports schools in the Horizon League, even though we have the lowest budget. Weight rooms are nice, but they don't matter if you can't find coaches and players, and Strollo does that.
(3) It takes years for a coach to build a program and Strollo has provided support within his means. What happened against WIU or ISU was not because of weight rooms, trailers, or scoreboards. We are just reaching the point where we know what W. can and cannot do. can't get there. He fixed a mess but doesn't appear to be able to get to the next level.
(4) Remember even after the WIU loss, W. had strong supporters (e.g., this team keeps getting more wins every year). This is the year to decide about W.--not last year.
(5) Remember in 2012-2013, Slocum was praised for getting his team to the post season. We are just learning what life will be like without KP, and I'm guessing this is going to catch up with Slocum. The fans in the stands are starting to realize that Slocum's win totals are inflated.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
The bottom line is we wasted the opportunity to take control of the game early on with the 3 fumbles. For whatever reason this team lacks the enthusiasm needed on this level. Hats off to the Indiana state defense. Wells had very little time to throw all day and they did a great job pressing our receivers all game..we had problems getting any kind of separation.  That's something we don't do enough of on defense or maybe just don't have the personnel to do so. Wells was a big part of the wins over S.D.S.U. , S.I., and S.D. and if it wasn't for his 2 4th Quarter drives there wouldn't have been a overtime. I dont think it was the worst play call or throw in the world the defender made a great play end of story-off to N.D.S.U.

Why is it "HIS" 2 4th qtr drives, because they were successful? The people who fumbled the ball earlier got all the yardage in these drives not Hunter. When something good happens it's all him, when he does something bad, it's like it didn't happen or it's everybody elses fault...coaches, players, or that he's a Freshmen. Funny. ::) OT was a new game. Sudden Death.  His pick DID cost us the game.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »
Still have another week left guys. Let's stay positive and support the kids and see what they do against NDSU.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!