Author Topic: Basketball Adds Jordan Andrews During Early Signing Period  (Read 2178 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Basketball Adds Jordan Andrews During Early Signing Period
« on: November 15, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »

By RYAN ARENA L’Observateur

RESERVE — Riverside’s Jordan Andrews has played basketball for as long as he can remember and even beyond, starting at the age of 2 and honing his skills since then.

That work has payed off with a string of championship rings, and, now, a scholarship to play college basketball.

Andrews is headed to Youngstown, Ohio, after inking with Youngstown State Thursday afternoon at a special signing ceremony at the RA gym.

“I started doing this with my dad coaching me,” Andrews said. “Since I was two, I’ve known I wanted to do this. I’ve had a lot of help from a lot of people over the years. Coach Timmy (Byrd), Coach (Mike) Sutton, my AAU coach, Quannas White … all of it is paying off.”

The 6’5” Andrews has helped the Rebels win Class 2A consecutive state championship rings in 2013 and 2014. Last season, he averaged 12 points, eight rebounds, three steals and two blocks per game.

Andrews has been one of the Rebels’ most important pieces, starting at power forward for most of his prep career while also boasting the shooting and driving ability of a guard. He projects to play shooting guard in college.

“Usually, the other team has to guard him with a power forward or center, and that’s just an extremely tough matchup for our opponent,” Riverside coach Timmy Byrd said. “He can finish above the rim and shoot from NBA (3-point) range.”

Andrews has become known as one of the state’s best shooters, though the lasting memory of his junior season may be his breakaway dunk near the end of RA’s championship game victory over Lakeview, an exclamation point on an 88-75 victory.

What kind of play does he like better: the 3, or the slam?

“I still like shooting the best,” he said. “That’s what I do.”

Andrews said Youngstown was a strong fit for him as the team’s style of play resembles that of Riverside’s.

“They changed their offense towards that over the last couple years,” Andrews said. “I’m extremely excited to play for (Youngstown’s coaches). They like to get up and down and shoot 3’s.”

Byrd said he thinks both sides are getting a good deal in the other.

“Jordan is headed to play Division I basketball for a high mid-major,” Byrd said. “He gets to play in front of packed crowds in the Horizen League, one of the better conferences in the country. It’s right in the heart of basketball country. He should fit in well. I think he’s going to be a surprise two-guard for them. He’s got a chance to really flourish.”

Riverside’s Jordan Andrews signed with Youngstown State of the Horizon League Thursday afternoon where he will continue his academic and athletic career in basketball. Pictured are, front row, left to right, Jeff Andrews, Jordan Andrews, Lauren Andrews, Alison Andrews, top row, Riverside basketball coach Timmy Byrd and RA Principal Dr. Perry DiCarlo.