Author Topic: If we win and this weekend and get screwed out of the playoffs again............  (Read 11297 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
If this happened I want to move to FBS.  NDSU dropped to 4th.  They kept Richmond above us.  The CAA bias has started.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:00:28 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I have posted many times that the MVFC is a poor fit for YSU.

The MVFC is a powerhouse conference, but if that is not appreciated by the selection committee, than what is the point of being in the MVFC.

There are other FCS conferences in which the travel budget would be lower, and we would have our name engraved on their auto-bid.  The SOS could overall increase with non-"weenie" OOC opponents.  One example is Fordham will play Army, and prolly beat them because Army is FBS in name only.  We could wallop MAC and other lowly FBS teams, increase fan interest, and improve SOS.

If ANY MVFC teams get screwed by the selection committee, than its either time to leave the MVFC, or accept that we'll rarely see the post-season.    Some say, "well just win."  When you are in the MVFC, its like fighting Floyd Mayweather  every Saturday.  Its just not that simple.

All that said....I think a win on Saturday and YSU is in.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

kforbs126

The MVFC is a powerhouse conference, but if that is not appreciated by the selection committee, than what is the point of being in the MVFC.

There are other FCS conferences in which the travel budget would be lower, and we would have our name engraved on their auto-bid.  The SOS could overall increase with non-"weenie" OOC opponents.  One example is Fordham will play Army, and prolly beat them because Army is FBS in name only.  We could wallop MAC and other lowly FBS teams, increase fan interest, and improve SOS.

If ANY MVFC teams get screwed by the selection committee, than its either time to leave the MVFC, or accept that we'll rarely see the post-season.    Some say, "well just win."  When you are in the MVFC, its like fighting Floyd Mayweather  every Saturday.  Its just not that simple.

This is the perfect post.  But I wonder if the Athletic department thinks like this.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
When were the Penguins "screwed" out of the playoffs recently?  Because that team the last two years didn't deserve a playoff berth. 

If this team loses another game, they forfeit the right to whine again also.

It's easy to make the playoffs.  Win.  When you don't win, you have nothing to complain about.  Color me unimpressed with the perpetual 7-4 seasons under this dumbass meathead. 

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
1. I agree our conference is tough.  With that said I continue to believe that this conference can ultimately be the best fit for us if we can add some teams and not be required to pay for travel to the Dakota's so frequently.  The conference will stay tough!  Take note that the SEC did not lose strength by adding T A&M and Missouri.

2. Agreed, we have not been a playoff caliber team, come season end lately.  7-4 is not a playoff lock.  8-3 in our conference should be.  So yes...win and make the playoffs.  We do not deserve to beat our chests and get trophies at 7-4 or less.

3. We have increased our win total annually under Wolf.  While he is not the likable candidate at the helm, he is our coach and deserves supported.  His first words as coach that I heard heard were in front of a small charitable group and that we as individuals in the Valley (fan or not) have to talk positive, about the program and the Mahoning Valley...otherwise, if we can't have a positive view of these why should a recruit (local or national).  That said, it is not guaranteed, but we can still end up with nine wins this season (again an increase over the previous year).  I look forward to seeing that happen! (then I have no doubt the conversation herein would change dramatically.)

Z

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile

The MVFC is definitely an absolute pain in the ass for families friends and fans to travel too.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Interesting thread on AGS re: which team(s) would you kick out of your conference if you could.  Near 100% of MVFC respondents mentioned YSU.

I don't see any animosity toward YSU, but rather recognition that it is a bad fit regionally and also due to our lack of membership in the Summit/MVC.

The "the MVFC is the toughest conference" reason to stay in the MVFC is outweighed by travel costs, fan interest, and enhanced likelihood to appear in the post-season.  I'd rather brag about being in the post-season and having a better record than brag about being in the MVFC.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?164366-Pick-any-two-schools-to-remove-from-your-conference/page11
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I just posted my .02 on that. Could care less really about the MVFC, but I would like to win the conference a couple more times before leaving ...so as not to be considered running-away.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
I guess my general feeling is if you are on the bubble for a 20 or 24 team playoff field than you weren't that good anyway and aren't going to make any meaningful noise in the playoffs.  8-4?  Yawn.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I guess my general feeling is if you are on the bubble for a 20 or 24 team playoff field than you weren't that good anyway and aren't going to make any meaningful noise in the playoffs.  8-4?  Yawn.

All you have to do is get in! And anything can happen my friend.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
That plus 8-4 in the MVFC = 9-3 or 10-2 in the BSC or CAA or Big South......11-1 or 12-0 in any other FCS conference.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Seriously?   Do you even follow FCS football or is this bait?

Wow.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
I am serious. The playoffs are watered down with 24 teams.  If you are up in the air being the last couple in, you aren't real contenders and really don't have much grounds to complain about being left out. 

Of course, it is better for the program to make it than to not.  But this is clearly a second tier team.  But, no one who loses 4 games "gets screwed".  And, if you lost four games, you are not a real contender.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Well it appears the CAA will be getting 4 teams in again this year.... Take your pick from the following:

JMU 
Richmond
New Hampshire
Villanova
William & Mary

YSU is screwed again........

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Well, at least they won't get "screwed" thing year LOL